Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Live music near the Toronto Primrose Best Western?

Feb 26th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Don

I have reserved a room at the Primrose Best Western in Toronto in late March 2001. Is it in a safe neighborhood? How close is it to the comedy clubs and clubs that have live music (rock, jazz, blues & alternative). What clubs are recommended for music and which should be avoided? Is there an area of downtown I should avoid?

Feb 27th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Nancy

Hi Don,
Where is the hotel located? I've not heard of it, so I can't give you specific advice.
For a listing of clubs, check out NOW magazine. The magazines are free and you can find them in coffee shops, bookstores, etc. They are also on line - try doing a search on yahoo.

Feb 27th, 2001, 07:03 PM
TorontoDweller

NOW magazine is great. It's at www.nowtoronto.com.

The particular few blocks around the Primrose are not that picturesque, but neither are they unsafe by any stretch of the imagination. You're not far from Cabbagetown there, either--a neat neighbourhood for cafes or just for walking around.

Compared to American cities of similar size, I would say that downtown Toronto is VERY safe. There's really nowhere you can't walk alone at 3 am, if you keep your wits about you to the degree you always would in a large city. The main thing that will keep you in at night is the weather!

The Horseshoe, El Mocambo, The 360, and Cameron House are well-known for live music, though of course you should check NOW magazine to see what specific acts will be playing while you're here. I've also heard some people rave about a jazz place at Spadina and College--I think it's called the Silver Dollar Room. It looks like a dive, but apparently the jazz is good! Bear in mind that any of these places would be a "healthy" walk from your hotel, or you might want to take transit.

If I come up with any more details for you, I'll post again. Have a great trip!

Feb 27th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Don

Thanks to you both for your help!

Nancy, the Primrose is at 111 Carlton near Jarvis.

I would like to stay somewhere reasonable, clean and central to various music clubs.

Feb 28th, 2001, 04:39 PM
TorontoDweller

The Horseshoe, The 360, and Cameron House are all in the Queen St. West area, which we just call "Queen West" around here--imho, that would be the best area for your tastes. If you want to be a little closer to the action, then, the Hilton or the Sheraton would be better located (though I recognize they would be more expensive, too).

If you decide to stick with the Primrose, don't worry, though. Transit is easy to use and cabs are everywhere, and you could even make a long-ish walk of it and get to see more of the city.
Do post back afterward and let us know how your trip went!

Mar 1st, 2001, 10:50 AM
Daniel Williams

HI Don

I have stayed at the Primrose and it's well-located for visiting Toronto. Trolleys run right by heading out to interesting neighborhoods like the Kensington Market and downtown Chinatown areas. You're not far from Wellesley subway station which could whip you quickly into downtown and up toward the swank Eglinton-Yonge area. You're nearly in the heart of Toronto's queer community centralized around Church and Wellesley and with plenty of late night eating establishments.

Check out NOW Toronto for specifics as someone previously mentioned. Have a great time. You're going to one of North America's greatest cities and you should have no trouble finding what you're looking for.

DAN

Mar 3rd, 2001, 09:31 AM
Brian Kilgore

The Primrose is at the corner of Carlton and Jarvis, making the nearest subway station the one at Yonge & Catrlton Streets. To confuse things, Carlton changes its name to College Street when it cross Yonge Street, going west.
Nearest good jazz is the Montreal Bistro, at Sherbourne and Adelaide.

You can walk south on Jarvis to Richmond (westbound, one way) and then walk east on Richmond one long block to Sherbourne, and then down a half block on Sherbourne.

There may be entertainment in your hotel, or in two nearby new hotels on Jarvis Street.

The park across from the hotel is full of derelicts and the homeless at night, and is best avoided. the greenhouses in the park are worth a (free) visit during the day, if you like flowers.

Walk west to Yonge Street (or take the streetcar, but the walk's not far) and you can head north or south on Yonge for various clubs, bars, etc.

In addition to Now that someone has mentioned, there's alos Eye, for free listings, plus the Toronto Star has the best other entertainment listings.

BAK

Mar 12th, 2001, 08:50 PM
shannon

Hi Don,
I have stayed at the Primerose. Its alright I suppose. Nothing wonderful but if sleeping is all you want to do then you're fine. It was the most affordable, decent place we could find. This was last year. I now live in TO. The neigborhood you are in is good. It is on the south end of the gay village which is harmless and unimpossing of course. The hotel is almost across the street from Maple Leaf gardens. As far as music and clubs, you are looking for Queens street west. this area is about a 30 min walk from the Hotel but since there is a subway east on carlton street (the street the hotel is on) just after Church st and before Yonge, you can get there in no time. Just go south on the subway and get off at Queens street and walk west. Toronto is safe for the most part just don't walk east of Sherbourne st. where is gets a little seedy.
Have a good trip...hope I've helped

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:11 AM
elizabeth

To the top for Diana