Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Leaving For Nova Scotia on 8/26 - Any Recommendations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/leaving-for-nova-scotia-on-8-26-any-recommendations-83862/)

Roger Aug 21st, 2000 02:06 PM

Leaving For Nova Scotia on 8/26 - Any Recommendations?

Spending 3 nights in Chester at Haddon Hall, 3 nights near Baddeck at Castle Moffet, 2 nights at Keltic Lodge, and 1 night at Westin back in Halifax. Looking for things to do, places to see, and restaurant recommendations. Wife is pregnant so can't be any more strenuous than an easy hike.

Bob Brown Aug 22nd, 2000 06:28 AM

You didn't say exactly when you are going. If the Fortress at Louisbourg is still open, it is worth a trip. It presents history from the "other side" so to speak. The staff members wear period costumes and re-enact some of the life at the fort. I am not sure how late in the season you can find this kind of activity. Also, from up there somewhere, try to find a whale watching cruise. I am presuming here that motion sickness is not a problem because most of the boats that do that sort of thing are on the small side. We took one from Cheticamp on the western side of Cape Breton. We saw whales, but not big ones. <BR>

roger Aug 23rd, 2000 05:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am leaving this Saturday on 8/26, which is in the title of the post. I would assume that most things are still open.

TSpinks Aug 23rd, 2000 06:22 AM

We stayed in Chester near Mahone Bay and ate at the Seaside Shanty. GREAT scallop dinner!!!

Bob Brown Aug 23rd, 2000 06:28 AM

I guess I overlooked the title and focused on the body of the message. <BR>We were there in early September and most tourist attractions were still open, although we could tell that the end of the season was at hand. <BR> <BR>One thing we did that I thought was a semi waste of time was to stand around in Truro waiting for the tidal bore to come up the creek. As you know the Bay of Fundy has the highest tides on Earth. <BR>When the high tide comes in, a small wave comes up the creek. I had expected a wall of water; what I saw was a big ripple. I think it might be the kind of thing you do once to say "I saw it." <BR>But I do not think I would make a special trip to Truro just to see the ripple. <BR> <BR>On Cape Breton Island near Baddeck we visited a musuem that showed some interesting facts and exhibits about Alexander Graham Bell. <BR>As we entered from New Brunswick, we detoured south to the Minas Basin, which has the highest tides on the bay. <BR>I found it mildly interesting to visit some of the tidal flats and see the impact of those huge tides. Near Parrboro we drove on a side road to bluff with a light house that overlooked the basin. The locals described an event concerning the light house, which is unmanned. <BR>Because of the heavy fog during the winter the light houses also have fog horns and strobe lights with photoelectric cells. If the fog becomes too thick, the light from the strobe reflects back into the photo electric cell. The cell measures the strength of the reflection. When a critical limit is reached, the fog horn begins to sound. <BR>It seems like a couple decided to get married next to the light house. The wedding party crowded around and disrupted the normal strobe light reflection, which in turn triggered the fog horn. <BR>And Halifax is interesting. It has a long history and some pretty parks and museums.

Jud Compton Aug 23rd, 2000 07:18 AM

Returned from Nova Scotia three weeks ago and have posted a page on our web site (Travels and Travelogues) about the trip. See it at http://www.geocities.com/judcomp <BR>Click Nova Scotia. <BR> <BR>We walked up the 129 steps to the Citadel and thought it was one of the best attractions. Apparently, you also can drive up to it and there is parking in the "moat." <BR> <BR>We also liked the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic on Lower Water St. It has features on the 1917 Explosion and on the Titanic. Worth seeing. <BR> <BR>We used the double decker bus for a tour and would rate it so-so. <BR> <BR>The International Visitors Centre has good and very friendly information. The booklet on Halifax has a suggested walking tour.

lisa Aug 24th, 2000 08:52 AM

Restaurant recommendation in Halifax: Salty's on the waterfront. I will never forget the seafood pie with garlic mashed potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

lisa Aug 24th, 2000 08:53 AM

Forgot to mention: If you have time I strongly recommend a stroll around the public gardens in Halifax. It is beautiful.

Parrot Mom Aug 25th, 2000 05:50 AM

A very moving experience was the graves of the Titanic victims..not much walking around..taxi will take you right to the edge..Walking along the waterfront in Halifax delightful..