Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Le Germain vs Hotel Nelligan (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/le-germain-vs-hotel-nelligan-274851/)

June Nov 21st, 2002 03:34 AM

Le Germain vs Hotel Nelligan

My husband and I will be in Montreal in December for our anniversary and can not decide which hotel to stay in. We will first spend two nights at the Westin Mont Tremblant... then three nights in Montreal.<BR><BR>I have researched on the internet and all over the fodors site. From what I have found, it seems both the Nelligan and the Germain would be great, but I can not decide which one. It's really stressing me out! We were also looking at the Hotel Le St. James too, but it was a bit too expensive.<BR><BR>We love comfy beds and nice bathrooms, which both seem to have. The Nelligan has a great deal going right now, but I have heard some great things about the Germain.<BR><BR>If anyone can give me an idea on why I should choose one over the other that'd be great... in terms of location, decor or anything. Thanks so much!

kate Nov 21st, 2002 10:54 AM

If you have a map handy, look at rue Sherbrook and Mansfield which runs between Sherbrook and St CAtherine. The hotel Le GErmain is there, facing President Kennedy Blvd. You cannot beat this location. <BR>The hotel itself is perfect, not too big, the staff is excellent, they hop to do whatever you ask, cheerful, young and hip. They take very good care of you, if you need an extra towel, you will find two or three next time you look. They do a lovely buffet breakfast that is included in the price of the room. A turndown service that is so nice to come back to after a long, lovely dinner somewhere and a walk.<BR>Free internet service, a huge fireplace in the lobby to sit on big soft sofas and watch the world go by and have a drink from the upstairs bar or an espresso. Coffee,tea,hot chocolate &amp; espresso are available, free, all day.<BR>So this is my recommendation:)

kate Nov 21st, 2002 10:55 AM

http://www.hotelgermain.com/en/accueil.asp<BR><BR>watch this video. You can get a good idea of what the rooms are like. Very comfortable and the beds are great, linens and towels are Frette.Comforters and pillows are down.

johnj Nov 21st, 2002 11:57 AM

Is there a glitch with the germain website, loading symbol runs continuously, can't really see anything - ?

murray Nov 21st, 2002 01:34 PM

June,<BR>The main reason to stay at Le Germain, especially at this time of year is location. Le Germain is in the middle of downtown. The Nelligan is in Old Montreal. Old Montreal is great, but I much prefer it in the warm weather months to the cold, cold, cold days of winter. When staying at Le Germain, you are just a hop, skip and a jump from Montreal's underground city from which most of the city is accessible without freezing.<BR>Murray.

kate Nov 21st, 2002 01:53 PM

www.hotelgermain.com<BR><BR>Try this.

TO Nov 26th, 2002 02:24 AM

TTT

ttt? Nov 26th, 2002 06:39 AM

ttt before 7 a.m. - ? the critical issue is ?

10:44AM Nov 26th, 2002 06:43 AM

before 7:am where you are but not neccessarily where the poster is. Remember - this site is world wide?

Joel Nov 26th, 2002 06:04 PM

My wife and I just got back from a five night stay in Montreal. We had some time and did not want to travel too far (from N.H.). We stayed at Nelligan and actually tried two different packages during our stay (great deal). We started with the Romantic package for the first two nights and then chose the Discover Nelligan. We loved it! Both restaurants included in the package, the Remparts (best veal chop anywhere) and Verses, were amazing. The service in the hotel was so friendly. We were there for five days so we got to know them very well and everyone went out of their way to make sure we felt at home. This was already so easy since the rooms were so warm and comfy. We actually ended up buying a down comforter and some goose down filled pillows for our own home. I have not been to the Germain, but after going through their website, I would choose Nelligan in a second.