Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Last minute travel in Quebec Province - help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/last-minute-travel-in-quebec-province-help-322409/)

SydneyLA May 30th, 2003 06:33 PM

Last minute travel in Quebec Province - help!

Hi all, sorry for the ignorant posting, but I'm looking for some advice - my significant other and I just booked a last-minute trip to Montreal for next week. We'll have 4 full days (which includes a weekend) and may also like to visit Quebec City. Any suggestions on splitting time between the cities, interesting neighborhoods to stay in (prefer less touristy - more residential areas), other sights that might be worthy of visiting, etc. Is a car needed?

Thanks for the advice and if anyone needs any advice on Southern California, let me know!

pattysuericia May 30th, 2003 10:20 PM

Hi Sydney, I haven't been to Quebec City in quite some time so I don't feel comfortable enough suggesting except to say that it is really a great city. As for Montreal, lots of people live downtown if that's where you want to be(I like it). You can also stay in Lower Westmount close to downtown. A car is needed if you really want to drive to different areas-please DO scroll for there have been many things listed.
Go to this site: www.go-montreal.com
www.bonjourquebec.com(click on english)
I would have no hesitation staying in lower Westmount if you do not want to be downtown. for events in montreal go to: www.tourism-montreal.org
What are your interests-do you like shopping, museums etc? There is also Old Montreal which you must also see.
For nightlife in Montreal-go to rue Saint-Denis,St. Laurent(both streets have some excellent restaurants),Crescent & de la Montagne Streets in the downtown area. Go to the Montreal Museum Of Fine Arts if you like. Go to Place Jacques-Cartier which is the heart of Old Montreal. If you have a car,it's very nice to go on the Lakeshore drive which goes for miles(more on that if you really do some scrolling-has directions).
Quebec City is the only fortified city remaining in North America-UNESCO has designated it as a World Heritage Site. Go see the Fairmount Chateau Frontenac-guides do tours at this beautiful celebrated landmark. Go to the Plains Of Abraham-it's a wonderful place to wander on foot(Quebec City). The City's highest point is Cap Diamant near the Citadelle. Walk on the Promenade des Gouverneurs. There is Upper Town & Lower Town. There are many fine French restaurants there .
Funny that you mentioned California-I'll be going sooner or later-I have good friends there.

pattysuericia May 30th, 2003 10:55 PM

Sydney, It seems that people are saying very nice things about this hotel in quebec city-go to:
http://www.hoteldescoutellier.com

You can get a GST refund for your hotel-just keep your original receipts and obtain the form from your hotel. Please go to this site:
www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca

pattysuericia May 30th, 2003 11:01 PM

Oops-I forgot-the toll free number to that hotel des Coutellier is 1-888-523-9696

for montreal if you want B&B-go to:
www.bbmontreal.com
click on english

djkbooks May 31st, 2003 10:19 AM

With only four days, if you want to visit Quebec City, I'd highly recommend the Gray Line one-day excursion (see their website).

Otherwise, you wouldn't want or need a car in Montreal. You can go all over easily via the metro, and occasional bus or taxi depending upon your destinations.

The best lodging is in the downtown area, which is very nice. Since you'll no doubt be visiting all over, I wouldn't worry about booking accomodations in an "interesting neighborhood", unless you'd like to stay in one of the B&B's or boutique hotels in Vieux Montreal (there are many new ones). Recommend you scroll down this forum for lodging recommendations given your time constraints.

laurafromtexas Jun 1st, 2003 12:03 PM

It's been about 3 years since my trip to Montreal and Quebec City, but I remember it all with great fondness. In Montreal, we enjoyed a hike through Mont Royal Park that culminated in a stupendous view overlooking the city. The Notre Dame Cathedral, where Celine Dion married, also was fabulous. Just outside Quebec City are Montmorency Falls (gorgeous) and Ile de Orleans, an island filled with 19th century farms and villages. Drive a car around the entire island and enjoy the scenery, roadside strawberry stands (the best I've ever tasted), scattered art galleries, a chocolates shop, and dinner at one of several restaurants offering Quebecois food and entertainment.

SydneyLA Jun 1st, 2003 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I can't wait to get back to Canada (I was sent to Vancouver for most of last year for a film I was working on) and it'll be great to finally see some of the great East Coast cities.

The only thing I'm still unsure about is whether to split the 4 day trip between Montreal and Quebec City. I'm thinking not since I'd like to avoid renting a car, but if anyone feels strongly one way or the other, please let me know!

Thanks again.

laurafromtexas Jun 1st, 2003 07:19 PM

I would do two days in each town. You would need to rent a car, but the 3-4 hour drive to Quebec City is quite pleasant. You would regret not going to Quebec City, as it has so much charm and European appeal.

djkbooks Jun 1st, 2003 08:27 PM

Again, if you don't want to rent a car and wish to see both, stay in Montreal and take the day tour to Quebec City with Gray Line. We did this on our first trip to Montreal. You leave early in the morning, there's a stop for a break, a drive around once there (including past Montmorency Falls), an informative drive through the city, then several hours for independent exploring, shopping, a leisurely lunch, before heading back to Montreal. For us, that was enough of Quebec City.

Everyone (if you read on down here) seems to strongly prefer one or the other. We happen to prefer Montreal.

You should see for yourself - if only for future reference.