Labrador

Oct 23rd, 2000, 07:35 AM
Rapunzel

Labrador

I want to buy an old car and drive from Toronto along the north shore of the St. Lawrence to Goose Bay then take a ferry to Newfoundland and drive back west. Can anyone give me an idea of how bad the roads are, especially considering I want to buy a cheap car that I'm going to get rid of as soon as I get home? I am not an auto-mechanically inclined person, either.

Oct 23rd, 2000, 05:41 PM
Thor

I lived in Labrador for five years, and I recall you had to put your car on the railway for part of the journey in Quebec. After this part, you can drive a dirt road to Goose Bay. I think you have to be prepared to haul extra gas, and be fairly self sufficient mechanically. I think the road was quite rough, but I don't have up-to-date information. The roads around Goose Bay, and up to Northwest River are good. NATO maintains a significant presence in Goose Bay, and it is the major service centre for Eastern Labrador. I am sure you are aware that the ferry service is for summers only, as there is major pack ice from December to sometimes early in July. Having done the ferry trip, I can recommend it as being a lot of fun. Even better is the run up the North Coast to Nain, but that is for foot passengers only. You may want to contact the provincial tourist office in Goose Bay to get recent information on the drive to Goose Bay.

Oct 25th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Rapunzel

Thanks. I posted something similar on another company's travel forum, nut included the suggestion that maybe this was some kind of death wish. I think it's way out of my skill range, though, and I would be better finding someone who was capable of doing it alone but wanted company/someone to help with expenses. I also don't have a clue how long it will take, but for me it will take even longer. Will check the tourist office, though.

Oct 25th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Thor

Didn't mean to discourage you from your "Labrador Drive". I would certainly do it if I was heading back in that direction, and I am no mechanic. A travelling companion is probably a good idea, because I would imagine it is still a lightly travelled route. Go to stjohns.cbc.ca. It is the website for the regional newsservice for Newfoundland/Labrador. Go to Labrador Coast, and click on Lab Pics. It will show you a picture of the trans Labradorian Highway. Labrador is a great travel destination, still largely undiscovered. People are friendly, and welcoming to tourists. Good luck

Search this Thread