your fall colours/my fall colours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just have to express my awe at the brilliance of the colours i had the greatest pleasure of for-ever gazing at on my recent trip!! especially on our train trip to niagara falls---i originally come from a county called wicklow--in Ireland-- and this is referred to as the "garden of Ireland" in our tourist brochures-- o.k i'm biased but! canadian colours are tons better in the fall!! helen from wicklow now living in carlow----
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:17 PM

DITTO carlow!

I just returned from Ottawa, Ontario yesterday, and I will forever remember the Gatineaux in peak color.

Stunning!

I'm from the Chicago area and thought we had good color... no way! Not after seeing Canada in peak autumn!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Just so you know, the prevailing autumn colour in western Canada - at least in the province of Alberta anyway - is white !!
Yes - it is SNOWING at the moment - a couple of weeks early but what the heck - ski season will arrive that much earlier this year ;-)!!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I know what you mean, Carlow. I've lived in Toronto all my life and have always enjoyed the fall colours, but this year my sweetie and I drove up to Algonquin Park at the end of September and the colours were beyond anything I had ever seen. I was actually getting teary-eyed and overwhelmed at how beautiful it was.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Meetshare,

Where is Algonquin Park? I'm too lazy to pull out my atlas.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 02:17 AM

Makai1: Here`s a link that will show you exactly where Algonquin Park is. http://www.paddlefoot.ca/map_algonquin.htm

If you look at the top left of the map you will see a large lake....that is Lake Nipissing and the small city there is North Bay where I am located. Our colours are just ending and must admit this year was especially vibrant. Just glorious.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:47 AM

makai1 - we stayed in Haliburton that weekend - about 2 1/2 hours' drive from Toronto. If you're up this way again, it's a lovely spot to visit.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 09:53 AM

We, too, just recently visited Algonquin over the Thanksgiving weekend, and were surprised and delighted that the colors seemed to be peaking at that time. We entered Canada at Alexandria Bay and the entire drive up to Algonquin was quite lovely. Here in southcentral PA the colors are just starting, so we'll have two exposures to the colors this year.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:02 PM

Well, I drove from Toronto to Ottawa today on a cool, drizzly, dull cloudy day, expecting everything to be done and 'grey'. But what a surprise! Although, certainly past their peak, there was lots of beautiful colour left. Especially around and past Kingston. But other areas as well. It was really a pleasant surprise. All along the 401 and up 416 there was always a pleasant view. Even in the drizzle, we enjoyed our day.