Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kingfisher Oceanside, Sooke Harbour House, or Wickannish on Vancouver Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Ann

Looking for a spa on Vancouver Island. Trying to find something a little less expensive than the Wickannish (we'll be going during the high season). Any suggestions or comments regarding Sooke Harbour House or Kingfisher Oceanside or does anyone have other ideas? We will have just finished a cross-country trip and are looking for a place offering massages and in-room jacuzzi tubs to soak our weary bones. Thanks.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Coco

Ann,<BR><BR>Have only eaten lunch at the splendid Sooke Harbor House. Dinner was excellent, but our waiter was the "pits." Very disappointed as he had a very bad attitude which ruined a very beautiful afternoon for us. Hopefully you may have better serivice.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:40 AM
Judy

We stayed for two days at the Sooke Harbour House and had a wonderful relaxing time. It is isolated and very quiet. The views from our room were both beautiful and serene. We ate dinner in the resturant both evenings and had a wonderful meal and good service.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:52 PM
jan

I would highly recommend Tigh-na mara [1st link] it is an awesome resort. 1/2 way up the island so quite central. Nice swimming beach, pool, sauna, awesome log cabins or oceanside condos are great for the view and jacuzzi tubs. I have not used their spa facilities but would not hesitate to recommend them. Unsure how their prices compare to the others.<BR><BR>http://www.tigh-na-mara.com/rooms/condominium_b.htm<BR><BR>This one I just found searching around not sure what they are like.<BR>http://www.bwbayside.com/newsite/rooms.htm<BR>Have Lotsa Fun<BR>I came for a vacation 21 years ago, ended up moving here shortly after. Be careful it is beautiful<BR>Jan

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Ann

Thanks for the tips. I've looked into both the Sooke and the Tigh na mara, and am still trying to make my decision. Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful responses.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:52 PM
jan

Its a tough one let us know when you decide. I actually live in Sooke, have never been to the harbor house [too expensive]. I guess lots of famous people go there. Sooke is much closer to Victoria than say Tign-na-mara however I would still recommend Tign na mara [much nicer ocean [walking, swimming, view, etc. Sooke although I love it is just a tiny little town with not much happening where-as the Parsville area with lots more happening. Depending what your looking for I guess.<BR>I am hoping for more input here from others all the input is useful i making your decision.<BR>Ok Have fun on your trip.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Ann

Thanks, Jan. We are also going to spend two days in Victoria (free lodging there), so I'm not necessarily concerned about proximity to it, so I think maybe we'll go for the Tigh na mara. We're looking for a quiet place to relax and walk on the beach and celebrate a birthday, so it seems that it fits the bill. Someone originally recommended to me the Kingfisher, which is near Courtenay, because it had some pretty good package rates. Would you recommend the Qualicum Beach area over Courtenay for beach activities and maybe kayaking? It's hard to know what's best just from the pictures, particularly since the closest I've ever been to Vancouver Island is Northern California! Thanks again.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:15 PM
April

I would pick the Qualicum/Parksville area over Courtenay, although I don't know which would be better for kayaking.<BR><BR>Some people I know recently stayed at the Kingfisher. Over two days they found three hairs in their food.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:11 PM
jan

Hi Ann,<BR>Never been up as far as COurtney, so can't help you there.<BR>Unfortunately a lot of place on the island have a 3 day minimum stay [during the summer] so best check on availability.<BR>PS If you are from Cal. maybe you can help me out going there in August. Booked at the Marina Dunes resort.<BR>Coming up from Santa Barbara Area along complete coast back up to home.<BR>Have fun,<BR>Jan

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:41 AM
Ann

Sounds like a great trip. I actually live in Virginia, but used to live in Monterey, so if you're planning on making that part of your trip I could offer you some advice. Otherwise, I think there would be many more qualified people on the US board (I lived there 5 years ago, so my information on San Francisco is probably dated). For Monterey, I wouldn't miss the Aquarium and Point Lobos (park your car outside and walk in and it's free). For food, I would check out Papa Chano's, Paris Bakery, Montrio, the Tuesday (or Wednesday, I can't remember) market on Alvarado Street (all downtown Monterey) and Fishwife (Pacific Grove). Let me know if I can be of more help. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:08 AM
jan

Hi Ann,<BR>All the input is appreciated. I think I have worn out my welcome on the US board. Not really, but they have been an incredible wealth of info. We will be staying in MArina for 3 days.<BR>I am kind of confused as to the best area to stay in SF we will only have 1 day there so want to be in the middle of things I think. Union Square??<BR>Have you been able to find a spot on Vanc. Island yet, afraid if you leave it too long you won't be able to get a room. What month are you coming in?<BR>Ok gotta get back to work talk to you later.<BR>Thanks,<BR>jan

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Jeannine

Kingfisher Spa Resort!!! I returned only a few days ago from this lovely spa resort. A good friend & I spent the weekend getting spa treatments and relaxing by the pool. The price was great and the spa treatments were done by professionals who really understood the concept of relaxation. Any questions? You can email me. Jeannine