Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Kids and Montreal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/kids-and-montreal-269211/)

Jimbo Oct 28th, 2002 06:40 PM

Kids and Montreal?

Going to Montreal for 4 days in Nov with my wife and kids (ages 7 and 6). Staying at Sheraton Le Centre. Any advice on activities, restaurants where the waiters won't look at us funny or mind that we don't speak French, day trips, etc? Thanks for the help.<BR>

xxx Oct 28th, 2002 07:11 PM

Why would the waiters look at you funny? Mon Dieu!

Brian Kilgore Oct 29th, 2002 06:37 AM

Don't worry about not speaking French. In almost everyplaceyou are likely to go, you'll find waiters, clerks, ticket takers, etc. who will speak enough English that you'll be fine.<BR><BR>If the kids learn a little French, like yes, no, thank you (Oui, promnounced &quot;we&quot;, non, merci, promounced mare like the girl horse, see like vision) they'll have a bit of fun, too.<BR><BR>Kids will enjoy Old Montreal; Nickel's restaurants (a chain) have good kids menus, Swartz's deli on St. laurent is fin for the whole family and has food the kids will probably like, the bagel bakery in the indoor center at St. Catherine and Guy is a treat for tastebuds and the kids, who will like to see how the bagels are made ...<BR><BR>The Insectarium is worth a couple of hours. If you have a magnifying glass (or one for each kid) bring it, and the kids will have a wonderful time looking at the bugs.<BR><BR>BAK

Jackie Oct 29th, 2002 07:21 AM

Jimbo:<BR><BR>No one will look at you funny - we were in Montreal last March and total strangers, seeing us look confused about French p.a. announcements in the subway, came over to help us out. Just wanted to add my thoughts on Schwartz's - it looks like a total dump and it is a madhouse. We arrived at lunch and my kids, teenagers, couldn't wait to get out of it. I actually refused to go in. It is a crush of people. We went across the street to the Main - much calmer and not as busy. Now Schwartz's really does have the best smoked meat that I have ever tasted but unless you can go in the off hours (if they have any), send someone in for take out and skip the &quot;experience&quot;. Have a great trip.

xxx Oct 29th, 2002 08:34 AM

Jimbo,<BR>I think there are kids' activities at the Old Port but I'm having trouble find ing current information. Apparently there's an ice skating area, IMAX and other kids stuff but the web site hasn't been updated. I believe there's also skating in Mont Royal Parc.

Faina Oct 29th, 2002 01:35 PM

My son loved St Helene island, old fort and the Dome. Metro Ile St Helene, sorry if misspelled.

Brian Kilgore Oct 30th, 2002 07:47 AM

About Swartz'<BR><BR>You want fun or not? Yes, you can go across the street to a good but relatively boring place, or you can take the kids to a restaurant that is fun, an advernture, that they'll talk about for years, is an institution in one of the greatest food cities in the world, etc.<BR><BR>My kid, when he was three and four and five and lived in Montreal, loved it, but I don't think he'll grow up to be a teenager who wants to go to the dull places.<BR><BR>It all depends on personality.<BR><BR>When things get too big and intense for the kids, St. Hubert and Swiss Chalet are two chains that specialized in rotiserrie chicken, have good kids menus, decent food for grownups, and cal relax everyone before you go out for another adventure.<BR><BR>Your hotel is very close to the Montreal toruist office at Dominion Square, so you can get brochures, etc. there.<BR><BR>Old Montreal has caleche rides (like the horse-drawn carriages in Central Park, NYC) and kids like these. Drivers will speak enough English to make you welcome and tell you what you are looking at.<BR><BR>There's a great railway museum in Delson, outside of Montreal, where kids can climb on railway cars, see giant locomotives, etc., and see a school room inside a rail car. Whjether it's worth givingup a day in Monteal to see this would be your decision.<BR><BR>November in Monteal can be cold; there is a big tunnel system, lined with stores, under many of the central downtown buildings so you can get places without freezing.<BR><BR>The Monteal subway system, called Metro, is fun for kids who have not ridden on this kind of things before, and it's a good way of getting around town.<BR><BR>Check out the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (which is what I think the main art gallery is called) and see what shows are on. My boy, when he was five, loved some of the shows, especially if they involved sculpture.<BR><BR>A couple of blocks from the hotel, on St. Catherine St., is a Chapters book store with a big kids section, including lots of books in English. Check whether there's still story-time of Saturday and Sunday afternoons. It's fun, warm, and there's a cafe in the store for snacks.<BR><BR>BAK

Jimbo Oct 30th, 2002 04:07 PM

Brian and all...<BR>Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'm sure we'll have a great 4 days in Montreal. It may be snowy I hear, which will be fun and new for my California kids (like Tahoe, only colder). All the best and good travels.

Lois Oct 31st, 2002 06:27 AM

There is a great indoor skating rink at 1000, de la Gauchetiere, which is a 2-min. walk from your hotel. The concierge will direct you. Also, take the metro to Pie IX stop for the Biodome/Insectarium. The Movenpick restaurant in Place Ville Marie, with lots of interesting food stations, is ideal with kids. 5-min. walk from Sheraton. Don't know if they meet the height requirements for Metaforia virtual entertainment center/rock climbing, across the street, bet. Cathcart &amp; Ste. Catherine; my kids love that place.