Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Kelowna Rockets...Ice hockey for foreigners ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/kelowna-rockets-ice-hockey-for-foreigners-634338/)

Marko Jul 27th, 2006 01:54 AM

Kelowna Rockets...Ice hockey for foreigners ?

We will be at Big White in January, just wondering about the logistics of getting to Kelowna to catch an Ice Hockey game, there is something about the violence that appeals to Aussie sports fans !

Lynette Jul 29th, 2006 07:16 AM

Hey Marko
Our Kelowna Rockets provide great junior hocket excitement . The new season schedule should be coming out in Aug or sept.
You can check out the Rockets website at www.kelownarockets,com.
Tickets can be purchased online at www.selectyourtickets.com If you have your own transportation down to prospera place (The hocket arena) get your tickets that way.
I also think I remember that last season on the Big White web site they sometimes had a package to a game that included the coach transfer. This will not be on the website yet, but you might want to send them an email to inquire about it.
If you get a chance to catch a game betweeen the Kelowna Rockets and Kamloops Blazers, the competition between these two teams is fierce, and there are usually many brawls, and because the cities are close to each other there are often lots of Kamloops fans in the stands as well. Makes for great Hockey

Hey, did you hear about the new chair going up at Big White? My kids are quite excited about next season. Though for now we are enjoying the lake alot when the temp hits 36C these days.
Lynette

Marko Jul 29th, 2006 11:57 PM

Lynette, thanks for the reply! The folks at the club replied to an email very promptly and will advise me of the draw as soon as its out ! Sounds like a real fun night !

The new lift will certainly open the gem lake area up to more people, and hopefully take away a few from the Black Forest area whic I really enjoy !

About 170 days to go...looking forward to it !

laverendrye Jul 30th, 2006 06:24 PM

Marko: I think that you will really enjoy the experience of a hockey game in Kelowna.

You might be attracted by the violence, but I think that when you see a live game you will be amazed by the speed and the skill of the players. The Kelowna Rockets are a Major Junior team, which means that most of the players will be 18 or under and many will be top prospects for the National HOckey League. The standard of hockey will be very good.

Last year, the NHL adopted a new standard of enforcement of the rules, which opened up the game tremendously and made it much more exciting that it had been in quite a few years. This year, HOckey Canada has adopted the same policy of enforcement, which the various Major Junior Leagues will be adopting. Don't expect to see too many brawls, if any, but do expect to see fast and exciting hockey.

Sam_Salmon Jul 31st, 2006 08:39 PM

&quot;<i>the competition between these two teams is fierce...there are usually many brawls, and because the cities are close to each other there are often lots of Kamloops fans in the stands as well</i>&quot;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
&quot;<i>This year, Hockey Canada has adopted the same policy of enforcement, which the various Major Junior Leagues will be adopting. Don't expect to see too many brawls</i>&quot;
Well not on the ice anyway \:D/

Marko Aug 1st, 2006 12:48 AM

So.....avoid the car park &gt;!&gt;! ;)