Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help planning 3 Weeks Seattle, Vancouver Isl, Vancouver to Banff

Old Mar 21st, 2014, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need your help please in planning a 28 day July-August vacation starting with 4 nights in San Francisco (Hilton Union Square) and ending with 4 nights at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. We plan to spend time in Seattle and Vancouver and probably Victoria. We are flying into Seattle and will use ferries and car rental for travel from there, flying home from Calgary.
My friend and I are active well-traveled women. Our city interests include restaurants, local attractions, shopping, and night life. In addition, this trip is to explore the beauty of Canada by car and stop in small towns proximate to scenic attractions. We aren't "athletes" but enjoy biking, kayak/canoe, sailing, horseback riding, hiking, city and beach walks, zip lining. We want to explore wineries, poke around small towns and relax at long lunches. At this point, I'm including Pacific Rim National Park, Jasper, the Iceland Parkway, and Lake Louise. Should I spend time in the San Juan Islands as well as Vancouver Island? Where in Canada (or Seattle area) should we go to explore wineries? Best locations for kayaking, horseback riding, etc. I'd like to minimize the number of one night stop-overs, if possible and spend at least 4 nights in Vancouver and 3-4 in Seattle, 2 in Victoria? I've read that I shouldn't go to Whistler if I am going on to Banff. This is the type of input that I need at this point so that we have variety in our experiences. Thank you all for your interest.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 05:01 AM

Leaving a rental car in a different country from where it originated usually raises the issue of extra fees. You might consider public transit to Vancouver Island and renting there if you want to drive to less accessible areas, or even renting in Vancouver.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Southarm, we won't rent a car until Victoria and then explore Vancouver Island for ? days (advice needed for this segment). I think we might return the car in Victoria; take a ferry to Vancouver, where we won't need a car for our first few city days, then rent a car in Vancouver for the remainder of our days in BC/Alberta, returning it to Calgary airport. Interestingly, my German friend can get much more reasonable car rentals on her travel sites than I can here in US.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM

Interesting about the rental costs..Your plan sounds good. Be sure to know what the drop off charges will be and whether it is advisable to get the car at an office off the airport.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM

We have bike toured in all of the places you are going to . Vancouver is especially sweet so if you find a rental bike place, go for it. Biking around the sea wall is fantastic https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...e/seawall.aspx
Paddle boarding is big now too,http://www.ecomarine.com/rentals/rental_sup.html
Banff has tons of nightlife and your hotel is amazing!
Seattle: Pikes market place is a must for foodies.
For wine BC finest area is:http://www.kelownacapnews.com/lifestyles/251516011.html
but not sure if this is on your route.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 09:11 AM

If you are not a member of Fairmont loyality club (Presient's Club) you should join..Upgrades are often available and priority check in is always available which in itself can be a treat!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses and advice. I joined the Fairmont Pres. Club and already have 2 free nights coming my way!