Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Just got back from Quebec City (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/just-got-back-from-quebec-city-220472/)

sjk May 14th, 2002 12:48 PM

Just got back from Quebec City

4 days and it was wonderful!! I'm trying to clear my desk right now, but I'll post my trip report soon. Thanks to everyone for their help. If any of you Fodorites have questions on your upcoming trips to QC, I'll try my best to answer them :)

where May 14th, 2002 01:46 PM

Hi SJK,<BR><BR>Where did you stay? My fiance and I want to take a trip there and we're sort of on a budget. Looking at under $100 CDN. Is this realistic? Where are good places to stay? I've never been before.

david May 14th, 2002 02:00 PM

Manoir Ste Genevieve, right across Jardin des Gouverneurs from the Chateau Frontenac, a small (6-8 room) hotel in a 180-yr-old former British army officer's house, about 100 yards up from the Promenade. Under $CDN 100, and ask for Rooms 1 or 4(they're the biggest). If memory serves, 294-1666 (418). Ask about parking.

david May 14th, 2002 03:07 PM

Where: Re Manoir Ste G: that's 694-1666, not 294-1666. Sorry, memory does not serve as it once did.

sjk May 15th, 2002 06:49 AM

Stayed at Auberge St. Louis. For two people, in a queen-sized bed w/ it's own bath it was $89/day with breakfast included. Breakfast was taken at La Petite Chateau creperie just down the road. Very filling and very good :)

david May 15th, 2002 03:47 PM

I'll be in Quebec City for the day in early June on a cruise. We're looking for a brief sightseeing tour give us an overview of the major sights - and then take off on our own. Are there any bus tours that you know of?

pat May 15th, 2002 06:08 PM

David,<BR> We signed up for oldquebectours.com. We will be on the Galaxy. What ship will you be on? It is a lot less money than the ship tour. Do not put your credit card number on their site, as whoever designed their website failed to make it secure but do browse the tours. We are doing the town and countryside tour. Their buses are a lot smaller than the ones the ship uses. We will still have plenty of time to venture out on our own after the tour. The toll free number is 1 800 267 8687. They pick you up at the gangplank and you can pay then. I spoke with Remi who seemed very nice.

l May 17th, 2002 08:10 AM

Quebec City is very much a walking city. Yes, you could take a bus tour that drove you up one street, down another, and see the walls of the citadel, etc, but a walking tour of the inner city may be a better bet. http://www.quebecregion.com/ has some listed.

David May 17th, 2002 06:58 PM

Hello Pat:<BR>We too are sailing on Galaxy May 27 out of Baltimore. I saw a thread on our sailing on Cruise Critic. Looks like people are getting together on the ship to meet. Have you seen this thread?<BR>I am sure we will have a great cruise. We have sailed Celebrity many times and enjoy the line.<BR>Still undecided about the Quebec City tour, but thanks for your information.<BR>

x May 17th, 2002 07:42 PM

You self-congradulatory people make me sick. You have nothing to offer other than "Just returned from blah blah blah and loved it." <BR><BR>This helps no one. You're just sad people who need to brag. Post a real trip report with helpful info or go back to pasting your boarding tickets into you scrap book you imbecile.

xxx May 18th, 2002 02:32 AM

Calm down there x! Some people prefer this to a trip report telling them about every minute detal of the trip. I would rather see people on this board like sjk who are willing to come back and answer people's questions!!<BR><BR>BTW, heading to the East Coast this summer - I'm sure we will love it. Any questions x?

Corrector Jun 2nd, 2002 09:01 PM

Dear X, Rather than call someone an imbecile, remember you are pointing some of those fingers back at yourself. Perhaps you should learn to spell basic words! Congradulatory? Congratulations and related words have a "t", not a "d."<BR>And you call someone else an imbecile?

sjk Jun 3rd, 2002 01:32 PM

Hmmm... Thanks X for bringing this post back up and reminding me that I have a "REAL" trip report to post. Stayed at Auberge St. Louis on Rue St. Louis and it was a nice, clean hotel. No real "frills" but a very friendly staff, clean, and the breakfast (included) was a choice of 4 different meal choices at La Petite Chateau Creperie down the road. All taxes & tips included. We found it to be a pretty good deal.<BR><BR>Ate dinner at a number of good restaurants. The two that really stand out are Portofino and Auberge du Tresor. The latter has a very romantic setting, complete w/ a little guitar player who sings both french and english songs. The food was very good, and reasonably priced. There are also a number of creperies along Rue St. Jean that we ducked into... the crepes didn't quite taste as good as those on the streets of Paris, but it brought back fond memories :)<BR><BR>Shopping: Rue St. Jean, and Quartier Petite Champlain (take the furnicular down the cliff). Lots of art galleries and cool stuff to spend $$ on. 2 internet cafes that we found to check email, etc: both were on (or just off) Rue St. Jean. One is next to Portofino and the other right outside the city gates.<BR><BR>Transport: got a cab from the airport to the hotel, which was w/in the old city. Fixed cost (~23.5$). Didn't need a car for w/in the city. Got lots of exercise walking around, and especially climbing all the steps. Did get a car for a daytrip out to St. Anne d'Beaupre and the falls. really pretty area. <BR><BR>There is a tourist info office in the square across from the Chateau Frontenac. Pretty helpful w/ lots of info you can pick up. Open 7 days. And the Chateau Frontenac gives tours. Ask at the concierge to sign-up. Cost $7/person. They take you through all the floors, etc. Really worth it, cause you get a perspective of the city as well.<BR><BR>And again, any questions, please post them and I can try to answer :)