Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Just back from Victoria (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/just-back-from-victoria-34723/)

Marilyn Couch Nov 18th, 1998 09:05 PM

Just back from Victoria

Ijust returned from a week in Victoria and if anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to help out. Marilyn

Jackie Nov 23rd, 1998 08:04 AM

Hi Marilyn, <BR>I may have only one day in Victoria in May, 1999. Have you an absolute "must see or do"? Thanks! <BR>Jackie

Tim Nov 28th, 1998 07:56 AM

Hi Marilyn! <BR> <BR>Please let me know a nice place to stay for 3 people for one night in Victoria. I am flying into Seattle. Which ferry should I use? <BR>

Marilyn Nov 28th, 1998 05:14 PM

To Jackie: There is a lot to see and do in downtown Victoria for one day. There is the Parliament Buildings, the museum with the new Imax theatre, the Empress ( just walk through the lobby like you stay there!) lots of neat shops, not just the tourist variety, a mall called Harbor Square right downtown, wax museum on the harbourfront, and just the harbourfront itsself with the boats etc. Ogden Point where the cruise ships come in is also worth a look. All of these are right downtown Victoria. Ogden Point is a bit of awalk. Don't forget your umbrella! Marilyn

Marilyn Nov 28th, 1998 05:23 PM

To Tim There is a ferry that leaves from Port Angeles called the Anacortes which docks at the inner harbour. I don't know the times. I do know that is is less in the off season. There is a motel that we use just within walking distance from the dock called the <BR>Admiral Motel. Their web site is www. Admiral.bc.ca. We have stayed there several times and not been disappointed. The rates are good and it is within walking distance of everything. It is owned privately and is not a chain or anything. It is tothe right as you leave the dock area. This is the only one we have stayed at a s we usually stay at my parents place which is right next door. There are kitchenettes etc. and the rooms are well equiped. Hope this helps you out. Marilyn

Brian Nov 30th, 1998 06:13 AM

To Tim: <BR> <BR>If you're flying into Seattle, you have a couple of other options to get to Victoria than just the ferry from Anacortes (a town which itself is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive from Seattle). If you have a rental car in Seattle and want to use it in Victoria, then you can take the Princess Margarite ferry from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria (sailings once a day spring-autumn, don't know about winter). Otherwise, you can take a passenger-only ferry like the Victoria Clipper from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria (several sailings a day). <BR> <BR>Most of Victoria's attractions are near downtown and the Inner Harbour. (Canadian/British spelling :-) ) A rental car is good if you want to see some of the coastal scenery and the Butchart Gardens, but you can also arrange a bus tour. <BR> <BR>The Laurel Point Inn has a spectacular view. The Empress Hotel is the "grande dame" of Victoria. A more economical downtown hotel that I've been is the Dominion Hotel; built almost 125 years ago and recently renovated, with pioneer era charm and modern comfort. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>Brian

Brian Nov 30th, 1998 06:19 AM

My mistake - there are ferries to the Victoria area from three sites in Washington: Anacortes (through the San Juan Islands), Port Angeles (on the north shore of the Olympic Peninsula), and Seattle. Both of the first two are 1 to 2 hours from Seattle by car. The Anacortes ferry docks about 20 minutes drive north of Victoria and the ferries from Port Angeles and Seattle dock in downtown Victoria. <BR> <BR>Brian

Sharon Jan 1st, 1999 12:48 PM

Marilyn-We are flying into Vancouver in July-I was wondering do we need a car or is there easily accessible transportation (ferry etc) to go between Vancouver, Vanc. Island and Victoria? ANy thoughts on the sequence of where to go first? We'll be there a little over a week. Last but not least, where to stay-we like nice places-modern conveniences-clean and good location. We do ask for alot!! I appreciate any of your advice! Thanx - Sharon <BR>

BobbyB Jan 6th, 1999 09:43 AM

I used to live in Victoria and Vancouver. First, Victoria is on Vancouver Island. Yes, you really need to have a car. There is excellent ferry service between Vancouver and the island. You basically hve two choices of traveling from Vancouver to the island. First, Tswassen (sp??) ( south of Vanocuver ) to Schwartz Bay ( Sidney, about 16-18 miles from Victoria. Second, Horseshoe Bay ( approx 20 miles NW of Vancouver ) to Nanaimo on the island about 50-60 miles north of Victoria. Each way has its adavantages and disadvantages. You could travel everywhere by bus if you wished but it is a little inconvenient. <BR> <BR>Personally I would travel in a loop by going to the Island one way and returning via the other. The drive between Nanaimo and Victoria is pretty scenic.