Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > July 2-15 Canadian Rockies and Waterton which order

July 2-15 Canadian Rockies and Waterton which order

Apr 13th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

July 2-15 Canadian Rockies and Waterton which order

20 years ago in mid June we flew into Calgary and went to Glacier, Waterton, Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump Banff, Jasper and Athabasca Glacier. I am very excited to return. After scheduling our flight to Calgary, I'm reading posts that warn about expensive lodging options and limited availability in July and August. I would appreciate thoughts as to which order I should plan this trip out if I want to do a similar itinerary.
Apr 13th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

If we chose to stay in Canada the entire trip and stayed 5 nights in Canmore and 3 or 4 in Jasper, what suggestions for the remaining time. I want to get tickets next week for Lake O'Hara.
Apr 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM

At this point, your itinerary is likely going to be determined by where you can find accommodation within your budget. It's quite late to be planning, especially for Jasper. Many hotels in Jasper are completely booked for the summer. I'd look for Jasper accommodations ASAP and see when you can find openings there. Try PHAs - www.stayinjasper.com

Beyond that, I don't think order will matter much -- it's where you can find availability.

For Waterton, be aware that sections of the park, including the Akamina Parkway, most of Red Rock Parkway and Bear's Hump, will be shut for summer 2018 because of fire damage. There are certainly things to do, but be aware that options will be more limited. Accommodations are very limited, so you need to check availability as, again, that may dictate your intinerary.

Beyond Canmore/Jasper, you could do things like Crowsnest Pass, Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump, Cardston, Writing on Stone PP etc. Or check out Kananaskis Country from Canmore. Or spend some time over in BC to see Revelstoke & Glacier NPs.

Search this Thread