Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   JAZZ FESTIVAL - Montreal (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/jazz-festival-montreal-137092/)

nancy wesson Jan 5th, 2002 07:12 PM

JAZZ FESTIVAL - Montreal

My husband and I are going to Montreal this summer. Is the jazz festival an event we should try to plan our trip around? Is it so crowded at this time it would difficult to get in the restaurants and naviagate through town etc.? Thanks for your input.

Daniel Williams Jan 5th, 2002 07:36 PM

Hi Nancy--<BR><BR>During the jazz festival, the roads are closed off between Bleury St. and Boulevard St. Laurent between Ontario St. and Ste. Catherine St. (Place des Arts area). The festival itself attracts quite a crowd and moving around this 8x3-block area to get to certain venues can sometimes be challenging. There definitely is some great live, free entertainment and fun ambience at the jazz festival; if you enjoy jazz, this is a premiere world jazz event that you may wish to plan your trip around.<BR><BR>The event takes place in this small area of Montreal and the rest of the city is not more crowded than it usually is in summer; travelling around on the metro and finding a good restaurant to go to will not be problematic. DAN

Donna Jan 6th, 2002 04:31 PM

The Jazz Festival is definitely an event to plan a trip around. It's a popular event, but never mobbed everywhere. Be sure to check the International Fireworks Competition schedule before finalizing your dates. The website www.montrealjazzfest.com is usually updated in early Spring. Getting around on the metro and buses is a snap and, depending where you're staying, you can walk all over. Taxis are quite reasonable. As for restaurants, it's always best to have reservations anyway for places you're sure you want to visit.

Lois Jan 6th, 2002 04:51 PM

The Jazz Festival is great fun, and of course the best weather of the year in Montreal. Don't wait too long to reserve your hotel. The Wyndham is right smack in the heart of the Festival, need I say more? Noise and parties round the clock; too jazzy for me. However, if you love the music, the Delta Hotel on President Kennedy is very close to the scene, and you can stand on the balcony of your room and hear whatever's playing at night. You could say the city is crowded, but I just have the impression of a wonderful, unforgettable street festival every year. You should go!

dougd Jan 7th, 2002 08:54 AM

I have been to Montreal in the summer during the jazz fest, and at other times. No matter when you go, you will have a great time. Hotels do fill up a little quicker during the jazz fest, but if you enjoy music, I would highly reccommend going then. You will hear everything from jazz to salsa to 50's r&b to folk blues and more, and much of it is free. On the other hand Montreal has a festival nearly every weekend in the summer, so there is always something going on. The one weekend I would avoid, however, is Grand Prix weekend, which really does draw huge crowds. I believe it's in mid June.

nancy wesson Jan 9th, 2002 05:54 PM

Thank you so much for your input. I think I will arrange our trip to include the jazz festival. The hotel information is helpful too. We can't wait!