Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Jasper trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/jasper-trip-report-332131/)

luna Jun 29th, 2003 09:30 AM

Jasper trip report

We returned on Friday from our week in Jasper. We stayed in Becker's Chalets, but we upgraded from our usual Riverside Chalet to one of the duplex units with two bedrooms - what a lovely, spacious improvement! The owners and staff at Becker's are always so welcoming and treat their guests so well.
We did a couple of our "old favorite" hikes (Valley of the Five Lakes and Maligne Canyon from 5th bridge and back) and tried a couple of new trails. On the Berg Lake trail, in Miount Robson Provincial Park in B.C., the big avalanche that created such an impediment lasy June has had a trail blasted on it, and the snow is all melted. We just went as far as Kinney Lake, but it's a lovely trail with lots of wildflowers in bloom right now, and tons of butterflies.
One of the new forays we made was at the back of Pyramid Bench, up the trail to Marjorie and Hibernia Lakes, on the Saturday Night Lake Circuit. Another lovely trail, and we saw two young-ish bull elk in the woods about 3-4 car-lengths away from the trail.(sorry, I can estimate micro-measurements, but anything over a meter and I'm better off sticking to car-lengths than meters or yards) Some high-altitude tamarack growth along the Hibernia Lake portion of the trail, and a great view from up there.
The other new direction we took was along the Maligne Pass trail, past the Mosse Lake Loop for a couple of km, and then abck around Moose Lake. The portion leading to the pass is fairly boggy, and we found that part of the hike a bit of a boring slog, but that's just us. Moose Lake is very pretty, and again, lovely views of the surrounding mountains.
The only restaurant review we can offer is for our favorite spot, Jasper Pizza Place - it is under new management now, and the prices have come down a bit. However, the dressing on the house salad, which was so addictively delicious, is a bit different - still tasty, but not irresistible anymore. The pizza is still delicious - crust a bit lighter in mass (not as heavily filling) and that's a good thing. Still our #1 recommendation. Large 3-topping pizza CDN$13.95 and $6.95 for a very large house salad. Glass or bottle of domestic beer about $3.50.
All in all, a very satisfying getaway.

Molly2 Jun 30th, 2003 06:18 AM

Thanks, luna, for the trip report. My husband and I will be visiting Jasper for the first time this summer, and found your report very interesting, especially the trail descriptions.

We're staying at Pine Bungalows, but have heard raves about Beckers. We'll for sure hit Jasper Pizza Place!

luna Jun 30th, 2003 07:55 AM

Pine Bungalows are very nice, too - we stayed there for years, and moved to Becker's for more room, as we set up "house" for 8-9 days when we go up. The squirrel activity at Pine Bungalows is good for hours of entertainment - watching them play and chase and generally act up.
Enjoy your trip - I think it's one of the most beautiful places on earth.

TracyB Jun 30th, 2003 08:39 PM

My husband and I stay at Pine Bungalows every year (about 18 years now!!) I love it there..We are already getting geared up for our 5 day trip next week...Jasper is a great place, that is for sure.

Molly2 Jul 1st, 2003 05:07 AM

It's good to know that Pine Bungalows was a good choice, luna and Tracy. It sounds very rustic and relaxing, just watching those squirrels....

Tracy, enjoy your trip!