Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Jasper to Mt Baker, Washington (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/jasper-to-mt-baker-washington-616513/)

jeffk179 May 18th, 2006 04:58 AM

Jasper to Mt Baker, Washington

I will be driving from the Jasper area to the Mt Baker area in late August. I will of by this time have stayed two days in the Banff/Canmore area and 3 days in the Jasper area. Is it worth traveling back the Icefields Parkway to travel through Yoho NP & Glacier NP which is a longer route or take HWY 16 west and then take Rt5 down? Are both routes just a scenic? Also, most mapping software says this is a 9hour journey. Is this right or should I add a few hours. Any help would be apprciated. Thanks, Jeff

jeffk179 May 19th, 2006 11:26 AM

I imagine I can't go wrong either way but I don't want to miss an opporunity for a great scenic ride. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Judy_in_Calgary May 19th, 2006 11:48 AM

Jeff, if you need to accomplish the trip in a day, I think the only realistic option will be the Hwy #16 and Hwy #5 route. Map Quest says it takes 10 hours, and I find that my somewhat cautious driving style is consistent with their estimated times. When my husband drives, we usually beat Map Quest's times. So, if you're like my husband, the 9-hour estimate (not counting stops) probably is realistic.

If you go the 16 / 5 route, do try to take the time out to make the detour at Clearwater to visit Wells Gray Provincial Park and see Helmcken Falls.

According to Map Quest, the other route (via Golden and Revelstoke) would be more like 14 hours.

I am fond of the stretch of road between Lake Louise and Shuswap Lake (basically all the way to Salmon Arm). You might be able to see some of that territory, through Yoho National Park up to Golden, from your Banff base. From Banff it would not be realistic to travel further and see impressive Rogers Pass between Golden and Revelstoke. So, if you took the 16 / 5 route from Jasper to Mount Baker, you would miss Rogers Pass.

If you were to do the Jasper to Mount Baker drive over two days, you might consider driving back down the Icefields Parkway and then west on Hwy #1 to Golden, Revelstoke, and Salmon Arm. Even at that, it would involve two fairly long days. If you have just one day in which to do the drive, there is absolutely no way it would be worth the agony.

jeffk179 May 22nd, 2006 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info Judy. I'll take it all into consideration. Jeff

traveller69 May 22nd, 2006 08:44 AM

There is another route that I would recommend. Take Hwy 93 through Lake Louise and Radium. Pickup 95 continuing south through Windermere, Fairmont Hot Springs Cranbrook and the Crow’s Nest Pass. 95 and Hwy 3 run together here and then stay on Hwy 3 through Creston. Your can take 31 South at this point (Into the US) and take Hwy 20 all the way across to Cascades National Park (Mt Baker Recreational Area) This is a beautiful drive and a lot easier than the map makes it look. You get to see a little different country this way. If you have the time and feel it is worthwhile you take a side trip down to Grand Coulee Dam which is quite spectacular in itself. This route is really worth taking some extra time to stop along the way. We have done this route or parts of it many times and never tire of it.

Fodorite018 May 22nd, 2006 08:55 AM

I agree with traveler69. This route is really pretty!

jeffk179 May 22nd, 2006 09:34 AM

Looks like it would be a great ride but my destination is actually Maplefalls, Washington, on the west side of Mt Baker. That route looks like it will add a few hours onto the journey. Is there an alternative route to what you suggested that would still be scenic?Thanks, Jeff