Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   JASPER Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/jasper-lodging-366751/)

GailLK Jan 8th, 2004 03:33 AM

JASPER Lodging

Traveling to Alberta, Canada this summer and need lodging in Jasper for an overnight stay. Will be coming from Edmonton. Heard the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is a little
"overated"? Any other suggestions on Lodging? Don't mind paying a higher rate if worth it... Thanks!

Borealis Jan 8th, 2004 07:16 AM

Jasper Park Lodge (JPL) accommodation is fine, although I have come to the conclusion (after having stayed at various places in Jasper) that it isn't the actual rooms themselves that differ very much from hotel to hotel, but the extra amenities and extra service that are available at JPL and aren't available at other hotels/inns/cabins etc. It is also in a gorgeous spot, next to a lake, and has a golf course.
So when making reservations, I suppose that each individual should decide whether "extras" such as feather duvets and pillows, and very speedy room service (with linen tablecloths!!) are special enough to warrant the hefty extra cost of the accommodation.

Other places to consider:

Becker's Chalets (cabins on the Athabasca River) - my favorite after JPL

Pyramid Lake resort (motor inn style rooms overlooking a lovely little lake) - is OK, setting is nice, rooms very clean and comfortable but average.

Jasper Inn Alpine Resort (right in town) - haven't stayed here in a few years but when we did, we enjoyed the units with the kitchens and wood burning fireplaces.

Try browsing this website for more suggestions and info:

www.explorealberta.com

GailLK Jan 8th, 2004 11:11 AM

Borealis-Thanks for your feedback. Do you think it's worth even stopping in Jasper for 1 night, or should we just keep driving and spend the extra night in Lake Louise. We're coming from Edmonton by car... Thanks!

Borealis Jan 8th, 2004 11:27 AM

GailK - it depends on what you are planning to do in the mountains.

I like Jasper because it is quieter than either Banff or Lake Louise, plus there are some lovely attractions nearby (Maligne Lake, Mt. Edith Cavell and Angel Glacier, whitewater rafting on the Athabasca River, the gondola ride to the top of Whistler Mtn for a panoramic view, etc.)

Jasper is just under 4 hours driving from Edmonton (including one brief stop), so you may be a bit tired of sitting after that.

Plus I think that you should plan one full day for the drive from Jasper to Lake Louise, not because it takes that long or is that far, but because there are so many wonderful sights and interesting places to stop along the way (Athabasca Falls, Sunwapta Falls, Columbia Icefields, Peyto Lake, to name a few).

I live in Edmonton, and Jasper is a frequent "getting away from it all" destination for us, so yes, I think that it is worth stopping there for one night.

Judy_in_Calgary Jan 8th, 2004 12:22 PM

Gail, I warmly endorse Borealis's recommendation to spend a night in Jasper. I would go further than that. If you can afford the time, spend two nights there. I prefer Jasper to Banff because Jasper is a smaller town. People say Jasper is what Banff USED to be like decades ago.

ltt Jan 8th, 2004 12:58 PM

agree with the above...definitly stop (and if you have enough time, spend two nights). it's a lovely town so leave edmonton early so you can enjoy the day there. plus doing a casual drive to lake louise the next day is the way to go. plenty of great places to stop.

GailLK Jan 9th, 2004 05:50 AM

Thanks for all the feedback and will book 1 or 2 nights in Jasper. It looks like a really nice place to visit....