Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Jasper & Banff plans (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/jasper-and-banff-plans-294399/)

deborahmcginnis Mar 4th, 2003 04:37 PM

Jasper & Banff plans

Celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in June with a trip to the Jasper & Banff areas. So far, this is what we have: Flying into Calgary and driving to Jasper. We have reservations at the Athabasca Hotel (any comments welcome) for 3 nights, then we are driving to Banff and staying at the Buffalo Mtn Lodge for 3 nights(made sure to get a premier room - any comments welcome). Our only real plans are to relax, light to medium hiking, lots of picture taking, wine in the evenings. We would appreciate any input (especially regarding the Athabasca Hotel in Jasper). Thanks

mikety Mar 5th, 2003 01:30 AM

I myself is going there in end April, have no idea but have surf internet, maybe you can try Mount Royal Hotel in banff and Whistlers Inn in Jasper, they have website and I find their location centrally located. I welcome your comments too and thanks.

hydra Mar 5th, 2003 04:47 AM

Do not switch from Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff, you have made a very good choice especially if you have booked a Premier Room. Being from Calgary it is my favorite place to stay in Banff.<BR><BR>The restaurant at BML is excellent with a great selection of game meats and a fantastic wine list (rated in the Wine Spectator). Other dining recommendations in Banff are the Beaujolais (sp?) and the Maple Grill.<BR><BR>For a treat after hiking stop into the Lush store in Banff and choose one of their &quot;Lush Bath Bombs&quot; and use it in the wonderful claw bathtub in your room.<BR><BR>A different hiking option would be to drive to BML's sister property at Emerald Lake (45 minutes west) and walk around the incredibly coloured lake (it is really emerald) or take one of the hikes into the surrounding valleys and then finish the day by renting a canoe and meandering around the lake. The restaurant at the lodge is excellent as is Cilantro on the Lake.<BR><BR>Enjoy.<BR><BR>

ltt Mar 5th, 2003 09:47 AM

good choice for banff. <BR>do not stay at the athabasca. it is not nice, known as the party place (load bars) and a lot of young people stay there. do some more searching for hotels within your budget and then come back with your options. check into the sawridge. it is normally pretty reasonably priced. there are also a lot of b &amp; b's in jasper if you like them.

mtm Mar 5th, 2003 02:20 PM

I, too, have done a lot of research &amp; found the Buffalo Mtn place a good choice in Banff..esp. if you got one of those rooms. I, too, second a recommendation for Emerald Lake. Even staying there, if you have the time. My husband &amp; I were there 8 years ago &amp; look forward to returning there soon (this year) for our 10th. A beautiful, quiet spot...try to get a unit lakeside if you can. Just a superspecial locale!! Banff can be busy, so I'd probably opt for 2 nights in Banff, max...and two at Emerald Lake if you have the time. (altho'I understand you need time for Jasper too) <BR><BR>Does anyone know here...will the lakes be free of ice enough in June to canoe on them?? (we're still trying to decide on traveling there then or later) I know last summer, winter/spring kept hanging on...so it's hard to predict. But, just wondering if *all* lakes are usually ice-free by then...or if it varies much between Emerald Lake...Lake Louise...Moraine Lake, etc. Also, does the color improve a lot between June &amp; late July? Thanks!

deborahmcginnis Mar 15th, 2003 10:05 AM

Thanks ltt for the tip on the Athabasca in Jasper. I wonder if this makes a difference: I made the reservation by phone and explained to the person that I wanted a room with as good a view as I could get - sort of a Honeymoon-type room/suite. I ended up reserving a room on a higher floor &quot;away from the bar&quot; (her words). Do you think I'm safe?

luna Mar 15th, 2003 11:30 AM

With the plathora of others hotels in town, the Athabasca is not the best choice - even away from the bar. :-) Try the Mountain Park Lodges (Lobstick, Amethyst, Sawridge) or the Jasper Inn.

deborahmcginnis Mar 16th, 2003 02:57 PM

Thanks, luna. Sawridge is booked solid (it was one of the very first places I tried - on-line &amp; telephone). The other 2 you suggested (Amethyst, Lobstick) were not quite what I was looking for. I have put in a request at Jasper Inn. Actually made a reservation for the honeymoon package at Chateau Jasper. A little more than we had planned to spend, but I'm afraid that there is usually a reason that some rooms cost half what others do! Don't want to find out after we get there. Any comments on Chateau Jasper would be very welcome, anybody.<BR>Thanks

JaneB Mar 16th, 2003 07:31 PM

Re: the Altabasca Hotel. We had reservations there last Sept for 2 nights. It seemed like an ideal location. I am not a hotel snob, but when we arrived and I saw the lobby and the room assigned to us, we promtply left. The desk clerk said he would charge my credit card for one night anyway. (He didn't, however.)

luna Mar 19th, 2003 09:35 AM

Chateau Jasper is a great choice. Much better than the Atha-B. Enjoy your stay!

ltt Mar 19th, 2003 09:46 AM

chateau jasper is nice

bob_brown Mar 19th, 2003 10:04 AM

I was hesitant to comment on the Athabasca, but given the fact that it is the lowest cost hotel in Jasper, you can understand why the hotel draws the backpacker set. At my age I no longer have nothing in common with that group. Moreover, I no longer see any socially redeeming qualities in people who like to spend the night drinking 4 quarts of beer and sing loudly while trekking between their bed and the bathroom down the hall at 3 AM. (And I will not comment on other aspects of their behavior.)<BR><BR>If yodelling at 4 AM is your bag, then go for it. Otherwise, I think you might be happier at a more expensive place.

deborahmcginnis Mar 19th, 2003 11:15 AM

Thanks everybody, you've been a great help - Chateau Jasper, it is. I'll be sure &amp; supply feedback after the trip. Any suggestions re: restaurants?

bob_brown Mar 19th, 2003 02:31 PM

In a previous post, sorry about the double negative. I should have said I have nothing in common. Bad use of the language.<BR><BR>I have no suggestions for a good downtown restaurant. I have eaten at a coupe of them, but nothing stands out in my mind. The dining room at the hotel where you are staying is pricey but good. (Or at least that is what I remember from 1987.)<BR><BR>The last time I was there we rented a small apartment in a private home and used the kitchen. For lunch, we were out somewhere and had a picnic.<BR><BR>Be sure to see Mount Edith Cavell. Walk up the trail to Cavell Meadows for a series of photo opportunities of the Angel Glacier, on a clear day. If you walk up high enough, you can see the surface of the glacier as well as the tongue of the glacier that flows over the side of the mountain.<BR><BR>

mtm Mar 23rd, 2003 01:46 AM

Bob, will there be wildflowers in June at the Cavell Meadows? We're still trying to determine when to go, &amp; I heard the road to there is sometimes still closed in June. Thanks if you could share more on timing a trip to the region...our choice is from late May to late July.