Itinerary Toronto>Ottawa>Quebec>Montreal>Vermont>2 days home

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2018, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I need area recommendations for Hotels. We're driving from Chicago to Toronto then only 1 night there before we spend 3 nights in Ottawa, 2 nights in Quebec, 4 nights in Montreal, 1 night in Vermont, then a two day drive back to Chicago. We're going to see the highlights in these cities, so we need a hotel that we can grab a bite to eat before crashing to bed at night. We're morning people, not night people. Location, Location, Location is important to me. I like to be in the center of things so we can run around town and going in and out of our room, if necessary. We're looking at 4-star hotels in safe neighborhoods. I'll look into the hotels, I'm just confused about the locations. We're leaving mid-September. Two active seniors traveling together. Looking for recommendations. Thank you.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 06:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
For Ottawa try the Westin. Right between Parliament Hill, the market and the canal:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...5-54ba596febe2

As an option, the Chateau Laurier is right across the street.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Xcountry. Is there a "name" for the area? For instance, is that called "Capitol Hill", or "Downtown"? I understand that Ottawa may not have named or formal areas, but Montreal, Toronto and possibly Quebec City might have named areas.

For instance, Chicago has areas like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Downtown, Financial District, and Gold Coast. This breaks the city down into smaller areas that help identify where someone might look for a hotel or activity.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:09 AM

Hi ChallengerGrey - I always have immense difficulty talking about my own city. Just not used to thinking about it in tourist terms.

I would say both the Westin and the Chateau Laurier are downtown. Downtown Ottawa is dominated by Parliament Hill and both hotels are a stone's throw from the Hill. It would also be a very short walk past the US Embassy to a bridge that crosses the Ottawa River. The walkway on the bridge provides great views of Ottawa and Gatineau. You would also be very close to the National Arts Centre and the pedestrian mall that runs though downtown.

With regard to safety Ottawa is a pretty safe town. The only place you might be get hassled would be on Rideau Street, just east of the Westin hotel. But that should only occur after midnight. That doesn't sound like an issue for you. I read what I just wrote and it sounds too ominous. You are not going to have a safety problem.

Someone should come along and mention the Chateau Frontenac for Quebec City.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:17 AM

We usually stay in the downtown or Plateau sections of Montreal. Downtown is the area with more fairly large 4 star hotels. Being in the center of things means different things to different people depending on what things they want to see. Montreal does have a good metro system. You will probably want to spend some time in Old Montreal but I wouldn't stay there myself because it is not as close to the metro and is IMO a little precious.
This section of the Montreal tourism site gives descriptions of the different neighborhoods which might be helpful
https://www.mtl.org/en/explore/neighbourhoods
The tourist office also promotes a Sweet Deals program offering discounts for people who stay at least three nights
https://www.mtl.org/en/deals/sweet-deal-summer

In Quebec city you'll probably want to stay in Old Montreal. There are places to stay in both the upper and lower sections of the old walled city--lots of b and b's.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:22 AM

xcountry and I were posting at the same time.
OK, I will mention the Chateau Frontenac. It is the iconic historic hotel in Old QC. I thought it might be more expensive than you want/need, but you should certainly check it out and decide.
https://www.fairmont.com/frontenac-quebec/
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again Xcountry an Vttraveler for your helpful location tips. This is precisely the location tips I was looking for. Sometimes when I research on a hotel travel site, they ask for "areas" and yet the maps that I have are not clearly defined by that designation.

I was thinking of staying at the Fairmont in Quebec City, but for $619 CAN (including breakfast) the room seemed small, and that price is without a view. So, other than location, there is not a lot of additional value added to that price.

Now that I have locations, I should be okay. Toronto is the only other location I need help with. Since we're only there overnight, we're just going to do the HOHO bus in the morning and head off to Ottawa after lunch. We'll be too tired to even see the play "Come From Away". I really wanted to see that play, in Canada.

Thank you kindly for your help and guidance.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ChallengerGrey
I was thinking of staying at the Fairmont in Quebec City, but for $619 CAN (including breakfast) the room seemed small, and that price is without a view. So, other than location, there is not a lot of additional value added to that price.
Yikes - With the exception of very high end hotels in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver I didn't know you could hit the $600 mark in Canada. And to think we've planned to do less "world travelling" and more stay at home stuff. I think we'll stick with the world.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 08:07 AM

You're looking at a nine-hour drive from Chicago to Toronto, expressway all the way, but with extra time required to cross the Canadian border. If going into downtown Toronto, add an extra hour of driving, maybe more (think Dan Ryan at rush hour). You won't see much of Toronto after that, no matter how high your stamina. I suggest staying along Highway 401 instead, maybe choosing one of hotels clustered around Pearson airport, which is on the Highway 401 route. Then you could drive six hours to Montreal, which has its own traffic hassles. Don't leave Toronto until after the morning rush hour.
Searching for hotels in Quebec City (great place for a visit) I suggest using Google Maps. Some of the hotels are in the core city, which is complicated by its position on a cliff overlooking the St. Lawrence River -- one reason to go there -- but others are on the far west side, barely within walking distance to the main attractions (the Citadel is, for me, worth a visit every time I'm in the city.) The Chateau Frontenac is one of Canada's most famous buildings but it has been recently refurbished so the room rates reflect both that update and the wonderful location. The Hotel Clarendon, a few blocks away, is large and old-fashioned but comfortable and much cheaper.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 09:13 AM

Yikes indeed about the prices for the Chateau Frontenac. For some b and b options we stayed last year at the Chateau de Pierre and a few years ago at the Hotel Marie-Rollet and enjoyed both. They are in the upper part of the old section of the city not far from the Frontenac.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'm looking into everything everyone is recommending. Please keep the information coming.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I've chosen the following 3 hotels: Ottawa: Lord Elgin; Quebec City: Le Chateau Frontenac (bit the bullet); Montreal: LeContile Suites (downtown near the Barbie museum). I'll have to find a train museum for my husband to offset the Barbie thingy, but I've spent many a trip to visit trains and war museums so this stop is for me.

Thank you VTtraveler and Xcountry for your help and Southam, I'm reviewing all our driving options. We may leave the night before and make it to Ann Arbor and then Kingston and skip Toronto all together. We're heading back through Vermont to see the fall leaf colors. Hope the timing is right.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 04:01 PM

The Canadian railway museum just south of Montreal has quite a collection
Welcome to Exporail | Exporail - Le musée ferroviaire canadien
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Vttravel. I'll put the train museum on the schedule!