Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Italian family ready for British Columbia!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Here is our finalised itinerary. Any comments appreciated. (We are a family with 19 & 20 yr old kids)
We fly from Rome arrive Vancouver 21st August - 2 nights Carmana Plaza, 2 nights Times Square Suites. We are thinking of renting a car on last day for some out of town trips. Good idea?
5th day drive to Victoria - 2 nights at Swan Hotel & brewery.
7th day drive to Campbell River in time for flight to Knight Inlet. 2 nights bear and Orca viewing (hopefully!)
9th day back to Campbell River late evening and 2 nights at Painter's Lodge. Visit to Quadra Island for some hiking, fishing?
11th day drive early morning to Tofino 2 nights at Long Beach Lodge Resort.
13th day drive to Whistler 2 nights at Adara hotel.
15th day back to Vancouver, Pacific Palisades hotel. Fly back to Italy late afternoon next day.
Questions: Will we need a 4 wheel drive car?
Is there anything interesting to see/do in Campbell River town?
What is the traffic and parking like in Vancouver?
What time does it get dark and dangerous to drive on Vancouver Island?
Thanks a lot if anyone has any Rome/Italy questions will be glad to help!

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Hello Carrom,

It sounds as though you have a pretty busy holiday planned (hope you've got time to read the books you've ordered from Amazon!)

I can't comment on the hotels you've chosen, not having stayed in those specific hotels, but general observations are:

1. You won't need a 4-wheel drive. Considering how sparsely populated most of BC is, the roads are generally excellent. We do a huge amount of driving in BC on some of the least-travelled roads and have always managed fine in our run-of-the-mill little car. (I assume you're not planning any off-road driving.)

2. In late August it will be dusk and then dark by about 2100. You don't mention what time of day you're driving from Tofino back to the mainland, but I assume it will be well before 2100. That drive (Tofino to Port Alberni) is the only route that could be a little scary after dark. Most of the rest of the roads on the Island are well lit and well-signed.

3. Coming from Europe, you will find the roads in Vancouver pretty quiet and easy to drive. The hotels where you'll stay are in the West End. Most of the West End is "resident permit parking" only (that is, you need to be a resident of the West End to park on most of the streets), but your hotels should be able to organize on-site or nearby parking for you. In the rest of Vancouver you can generally park on-street (i.e. at a parking meter) or in car parks. There are loads of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance of your hotels.

You say you're thinking of renting a car for one day in Vancouver. What out-of-town trips do you have in mind? (Not to say it's a bad idea - I'm just curious what you've got planned.)
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:19 AM

"What is the traffic and parking like in Vancouver?"

Coming from Rome, you will not have the least difficulty driving and parking in Vancouver. You may find, however, that Vancouver drivers are slightly more laid back and less aggressive than Romans!

"What time does it get dark and dangerous to drive on Vancouver Island?

I wouldn't say that it is particularly dangerous to drive at night on Vancouver Island. For times of sunset and sunrise, check this website:

http://www.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_e.html

You will not need a 4-wheel drive vehicle unless you plan to drive off-road or on logging roads.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
nothing planned yet for out of Vancouver trips. Just thought it might be an idea to rent the car a day early. Any ideas?
I know we'll be moving around a lot but we've got really long summer holidays so lots of time to relax at home (& read all the books)!
Glad to know we won't need a 4 wheel drive and roads are good. Yes I think Roman drivers can cope with most cities except possibly Bombay!
Thanks for the nice sunset website. Unfortunately it sets at 7pm in late August! We plan to leave Tofino late morning to catch the 3 pm ferry so in fact we'll be getting to Whistler in the evening. I was wondering more about driving around on VI at night to go to restaurants etc.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM

You shouldn't have any problems driving around Vancouver Island at night.
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I shouldn't worry too much about the sunset. That same site says that today the sun will set at 1959, but I noticed last night that the sky over Vancouver was still quite light when I came home about 2130. I guess the sun goes down pretty slowly. As Cruiseryyc says, you shouldn't have any problem driving about the Island at night.

A daytrip from Vancouver that my husband and I often do - though it's more of a winter than a summer trip - is to Harrison Hot Springs. The route along Highway 7 is very pretty (and much less crowded than Highway 1). HHS is a small town on the south shore of Harrison Lake with - you guessed it - public hotsprings for bathing, though in August it could be too hot for words. And if you're driving on a weekday, the traffic in and out of Vancouver can be tedious (try to avoid rush hour on the journey out and back).

The small town of Hope, nestled in the mountains a little further than Harrison Hot Springs, is also very pretty, though you may think it's a bit too far to go for a daytrip.
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Vorkuta, I had a look at the web site. It looks lovely but as you say probably more wintery. We have a house quite near Saturnia in Tuscany which is a place with hot springs and it's amazing to go there in winter otherwise you have to go in the middle of the night or it's just too hot.
I think considering all the driving we'll be doing we may just pick up the car on the day we leave for Victoria.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Hello Carrom,

My husband and I just returned from Vancouver Island 2 weeks ago. We stayed at Pacific Sands, next to your hotel on Cox beach. I have to say that I am sorry you are not staying longer in Tofino, especially if your children are at all adventurous....this is a surfing spot! Tofino surf shops do lessons, and my hubby and I watched many new and experienced surfers with a glass of wine in hand enjoying the view from our deck. I wish we had our kids along who are 24 and 19 for the surfing experience. Also, there is lots of hiking and whale/sea life watching all close to your hotel. If you have any Tofino questions, post a reply, and I will check this thread and reply.

Your trip sounds wonderful! Tho, you will be packing and unpacking lots!

We rented a 4-wheel drive car because we like to be "higher" than other vehicles to afford good vistas, however, not neccessary on the island.

Minn aka, Sally
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM

I would rethink going to Whistler and stay longer in Tofino instead. You're really shortchanging yourselves to only have 1 full day there!!! Or if your flight is late enough in the day on your last day, add one more night to Tofino, and spend nights 14 and 15 in Whistler and drive straight to the airport rather than staying in Vancouver.

And instead of going to Quadra Island on your extra day in Campbell River, I'd drive up to Strathcona Park--gorgeous mountain scenery and hikes.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Carrom, everyone travels differently but, for me, you are changing hotels a lot in a short period of time. I would delete the 2 nights at Campbell River and Painter's Lodge and add those two nights to the Tofino/Ucluelet area. Since you'll be fishing and wildlife viewing while you are up at Knight's Inlet, the two nights at Painter's Lodge are somewhat of a duplication.

For me, there isn't a lot to do in Campbell River but fish (which you are already doing at Knight's Inlet) and transit to Quadra Island.

There is a lot to do in Tofino/Ucluelet including surfing, skim boarding, hiking, fishing, ocean-kayaking, visiting hot springs, viewing First Nations sites, etc. From Ucluelet, you could take the Lady Rose (a working passenger freighter) to Bamfield or Sechart Lodge in Barclay Sound, and do some kayaking in more protected waters. This area is deservedly acclaimed and well-known for kayaking.

You have a great itinerary - have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Thanks for the last 3 posts...gosh -we are overwhelmed by the enthusiasm for Tofino. We weren't planning on going at all to begin with but changed our itinerary to get at least 2 nights there after getting advice on this board. Our Lonely Planet guide book & the BC tourist brochures we have barely mention Tofino! Now we are really looking forward to it and are quite curious as to why everyone loves it.
We can't delete painter's lodge as it is part of the Knight Inlet package and our flight gets in very late. I suppose we could stay just one night and extend our stay in Tofino if they have room at the hotel. We will definitely consider this.
About moving so much I have to say that we are really lucky and will have had a really long summer vacation in Italy before we leave for Canada so we don't need rest or relaxation. Happy to be moving and seeing as much as possible.
Doesn't anyone like Whistler?? We want to go there because we are originally from the Trentino region in the Alps & are interested in seeing ski resorts in another part of the world. The kids will probably want to come back when there's snow. In fact our youngest was considering coming to vancouver for university because he's crazy about snowboarding!
Sally, do you recommend anywhere special to eat in Tofino and how early would you say one has to make restaurant reservations?
Our kids love surfing so it's great to know they'll be able to arrange it quite easily on the beach where we are staying.
Thanks for all the comments - have to wait so long now to pack! I'm getting so in the mood listening to Gordon Lightfoot, Corb Lund and all the other music everybody's been suggesting!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I think the idea of just staying that one night at Painter's and heading to Tofino if you can is a good one--there's so much more to see and do there than in Campbell River.

And it's not that I dislike Whistler, it's just that I like Tofino a whole bunch more ;-).

There have been a couple threads in recent months with suggestions for Tofino restaurants--reserving a day or two in advance is probably not a bad idea but your hotel can call for you the day of, too and if you're flexible on time, you should be able to get in. The restaurant at the Lodge is quite good IMO.

And I did Knight Inlet a while back--I'm envious of you going, it's a fantastic experience.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM

>>>>>>Doesn't anyone like Whistler??<<<<<<

Yes, I like Whistler -- very much. But I don't think you appreciate the distances. It's quite a hike to get to Tofino, and there is so much to see and do there that it's a shame to have only 2 nights there, which really only amounts to one full day there.

I think that's probably what other posters had in mind when it seemed as if they were steering you away from Whistler.

To be honest, much as I like Victoria, I think there might be merit in sacrificing it so as to allow for more time in Tofino and still be able to include Whistler.

Victoria is a very pretty little city. It centres on the charming Inner Harbour. North American visitors who have never been to Europe consider it to be the most "British" city on this continent. However, it does not strike European visitors as being at all British. Some of them express disappointment when they finally see it after all the hype they'd heard.

The old growth temperate rainforests of Pacific Rim National Park, near Tofino, on the other hand, would be rather different from what you're used to. Also, as other posters have said, there's surfing, whale watching, kayaking, and on and on .......

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Carrom, our family with 15 year old and 20 year old sons love Whistler, both in winter and summer. Lots of outdoor things to do and the village offers that pub/night club vibe. We also really like the Tofino/Ucluelet area.

If you can't omit Campbell River from your itinerary, I'm with Judy and would forget about Victoria and add that time to T/U.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM

I would agree with the suggestion to skip Victoria and add that time to Tofino, but I'm thinking the OP probably can't change their Knight Inlet dates since that places gets booked up well in advance--is that the case, carrom?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Yup, Knight Inlet is definitely fixed -I had to book months ago. I think the only change I can make is switching the extra night in Campbell River to one more night at Long beach Lodge.....a lot more expensive! I am so undecided, on the one hand it seems a shame not to see Quadra island on the other I do realize that it's a long drive to Tofino & we'll have to leave early to reach Whistler so we'll only have a day and a half. Tofino seems so tiny and we're not really into hot springs so 2 nights seemed plenty for the kids to surf....evidently I'm wrong. I shall check if rooms are available at Long beach & see if i can cancel the other reservation.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM

You're REALLY not missing anything by skipping Quadra Island. It's nice and all but nothing to compare to Tofino. I'm curious...what is it about Quadra you've heard/read that makes you want to go there so much?

And there's SO much more to Tofino than hot springs and surfing! The half day kayaking to Meares Island to see huge trees, for one. Do a search on the Tofino posts for more activities.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I'd agree with NWWanderer - skip Quadra unless there's something really specific you're looking to see and add some time in Tofino.

I'm just back from there and I don't surf or go to hotsprings - we stayed at the hotel next door to the Long Beach Lodge and felt that 3 full days wasn't nearly enough.

The town of Tofino is small, but very quaint and a fair bit to see, and the beaches (especially Cox Bay where Long Beach Lodge is) are amazing!

Oh - and having spent some time in Rome (going back this September!), I can honestly say that you should have no problems driving in Vancouver, other than perhaps being frustrated with the slow pace of other drivers, and the strict parking regulations (strict as compared to Rome, anyway) =^D
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Yeah, Tofino has less to do with the town (which is very tiny) - it's all about the 40km coastline between Tofino and Ucluelet. When people talk about "going to Tofino", rarely are they referring to the town itself, but the entire peninsula that the town sits on. Pacific Rim National Park is one such "attraction", where you get Long Beach (perfect for beach combing), and the many unique trails through the temperate rainforest. The thing about the trails is that they begin at various spots along the highway, so you have to pull over, park, and start on the trails before you get *into* the rainforest and see what the fuss is all about. You can't experience it from the side of the road... in fact, it looks like nothing special from the side of the road.

My parents took me and my sister to Tofino for a summer vacation in 1994 when we were teens. None of us kayaked, or surfed, or went whale watching, or went to the hot springs. We spent half the day exploring the beach, then half a day exploring both Ucluelet and Tofino. We'd spend another half day at the Pacific Rim National Park, at the visitor's centre, and exploring the trails. We'd then spend the other half the day back at our cabin on the beach, wandering around, exploring hidden coves and secret islands (that were only accessible at low tide). We spent 3 full days there and were sad to leave, but we had another place to be on Hornby Island (off the east coast of Vancouver Island)... which we actually cut short because after Tofino, it felt as if we had paradise, and it was hard for our next place to compare!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Ooops, I think it was me who set off Carrom onto Quadra. She was making initial enquiries about other places to see and I mentioned Quadra and Hornby.

I've spent numerous vacations on Quadra and Hornby (and lots of other islands as well) and really like both. But, as I said before, if she was able I'd nix Campbell River and Quadra in favour of T/U.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -