It's spelled NiagAra, people!

Jun 29th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

It's spelled NiagAra, people!

It's NiagAra, Niagara, N-i-a-g-a-r-a. Not Niagra. There's a middle A in there!

Niagara has been around for eons longer than that similar-sounding erectile dysfunction treatment. Pay it a little respect by spelling it correctly!
Jun 29th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I'm guilty! Although I realized it after my posting. There are lots of misspellings and typos on this site, but I don't let them get to me - most are harmless mistakes. The most annoying one I frequently come across is advise instead of advice.
Jun 29th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Your wright Treavor, especialy for postrs on teh Candana bord.... thay shud now beter!
Jun 29th, 2006, 01:31 PM

That's ok Trevor. Most Americans cannot spell itinerary either. Also, take a look on the European side and count the number of people who don't know the difference between advise and advice.
Can you give me some advise?
Or, I need to be adviced.

Jun 30th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Somehow, I think that this one isn't just a typo. People really do conflate the ED drug with the all-powerful, all-mighty and eternally spewing waterfalls.

God, if only they had named the drug Viagara. That would have made much more sense.
Jun 30th, 2006, 07:56 PM

So.
If I am travelling to Niagra Falls for my Honeymoon, Should I bring my Viagara?
Should I approach from the South side, or the North side?
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM

NO IT IS NOT SPELLED N-I-A-G-A-R-A. It is spelled O-N-G-H-I-A-R. The Indian word pronounced on-ge-ara, meaning "thunder of waters". So take back of your faulty chastisment and lighten up oh over sensitive spelling usrper. So there - phhhhoooooy!

As far as americans and others not spelling correctly. Language evolves so we are well on or way to a one "a" Niagra
Jul 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sobolik,

Jeez, sorry about offending your delicate sense of spelling.

I suppose it is okay for someone to spell it "Niagra" if you happen to believe that "chastisement" is more accurately spelled "chastisment", or ""itinerary" is actually spelled "itenerary", or "butterfly conservatory" is really spelled "Butterfy Coservatory" (with capitals, no less!).

Most of all, who am I to argue with a writer who can find use for this collection of letters in a posting:

"I appreachiate any good bad or ugly comments from any who have been there. tahnks
Jul 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Whoo, got a little carried away there with the keyboard. I know you can "appreachiate" what that's like!

By the way, these are all from a posting of yours last year when you were planning your trip to eastern Canada (including Niagara, which you managed to spell correctly).

Apparently, not only is spelling evolving, so is grammar and good syntax! Who knew?!
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Ya know Trevor, most people do not care that Niagara gets misspelled occasionally. And Fodors travel posts were never intended to be a forum for clever little erectile dysfunction venting over the miss spelling of words with a vindictive holier than thou attitude. You researched my previous posts well. (for purposes of going on the attack) You think those have spelling errors, this word is full of spelling errors and therefore plenty of occasion for attacking if inclined to do so. If you hand my wife a full page of single space type she will spot a spelling error in 1.3 seconds. Would you like to submit any of your work for her review? It is her "gift" but she does not have hissy fits over miss spellings, . Which is good for me - a recovering miss speller). Lighten up Dude as the surfers say in HaWhyee.
Jul 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM

and what about harbour north of the 49th parallel and harbor south of it,eh

AndrewDavid
Jul 15th, 2006, 05:45 AM

AndrewDavid I don't get it? Is it sort of like the false accusation that bald people are "bald? When the truth is that the shiny spot is a solar panel for their electric personality? Or is it a common SNAFU I do not know of?
Jul 15th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Being from the Niagara Region, I do appreciate it when people spell Niagara correctly. It does show respect, the same respect I show by spelling Montreal correctly when I ask for info. I hate it when our city's name is butchered as well,especially by some of our own reporters! At the same time, I do have to admit that I'm definitely not the best typist and I'm sure I make typos occasionally. I'm sure others do too. I would hope allowances could be made, if it's just a mistake. Just my thoughts, sorry if they offend anyone.!
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:54 AM

I have to admit that it bothers me when I see Niagra in a post, not just once, which might be a typo, but through the whole thing. It reminds me of going to Edinburgh with a friend in the mid-70's. She spelled it Edinborough and probably still does.
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Just came back from a delightful visit to Niagara-On-The-Lake...or is it Niagara-on-the-Lake or perhaps Niagara-on-the-lake..any way you spell it the word "expensive" also comes to mind, but that's another story.

Interestingly, I didn't hear anyone pronouncing it Niaga-ra but rather Niagra.

Nevertheless, the town is as charming as ever and quite beautiful in the Summer.
Jul 16th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Just like spelling it CalgAry but westerners actually pronouncing it Calgry....??

We are all guilty of spelling and pronunication mistakes at one time or another. And in this day of MSN conversations and text messages, who really cares. I'd rather give someone information they need than berate them for spelling mistakes.
Sheeesh.
Jul 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Agreed - hardly a hanging offence. Unlike pronouncing Wimbledon "Wimbleton" - now that is serious!
Jul 17th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Holy smokes people!! A lot more serious things in life to nitpick about than someone mispelling a destination. Now researching previous posts in order to make fun of someone, thats a bit over the top. Trevor, u need a new hobby.
Jul 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Tell you what... now that everyone knows how to spell it, why not just go there, buy yourself an inexpensive self-guided audio CD driving tour and just enjoy the scenery. It's beautiful!!
Jul 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM

Clasinvest - I second that motion the place is awesome!