Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is train the best way to get from Vancouver to Seattle now?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Cass

Given the reports of long delays for cars at the frontier (and I don't really want to have rented a car just for that pleasure), is the train the best way to get to Seattle from Vancouver? Amtrak lists several a day -- is this reliable information, does anyone know? (And what happens to train passengers at the border crossing -- long delays there, as well?)

Or as a pedestrian, should I consider taking a ferry (this will be May)?

What are relative costs and transit times?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:26 PM
ALF

The Amtrak train is very nice, made by a Spanish company, Talgo; and much more comfortable than the typical Amtrak train. You still need to go through customs, which generally takes less time than waiting in line of cars at the Blaine border crossing. Still, I generally take my car, and usually opt for the truck crossing at Sumas. The lines are allegedly shorter there. It is easy to catch a ferry from Seattle to Victoria, but not to Vancouver.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Faina

We took Amtrak bus for a round-trip Seattle-Vancouver. Going there we took a train to Seattle up the Pacific coast, and as the trains are usually late the bus arrived in Vancouver at 2 am. The driver did not leave till all the passengers were picked up by a taxi cab.

I use Amtrak buses fairly often, and they are always reliable, and guarantee a seat.

We were almost a full busload both ways, and both ways there were no delays, everybody was checked fast and professionally.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Robyn

Well, the thing with Amtrak's Vancouver-Seattle schedule is that there is only one train leaving per day. There's a train that leaves Seattle for Vancouver in the morning, and one train that leaves Vancouver for Seattle in the evening. If you don't get on those trains, you'll get the Amtrak bus.

But if you're going to be taking the bus, you might as well look at the other options too. I've always been happy with Quick Shuttle. They do the round-trip from Vancouver to the Vancouver Airport, to Seattle and the the Seattle airport, back and forth, every hour. www.quickshuttle.com is their website. That's another option.

Old May 24th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Cassandra

I'm back. Thought it might be worth reporting on our Vancouver-Seattle experience on Amtrak/Cascades.

It's a lovely, lovely trip, hugs the shoreline for much of the way and at this time of year does so at sunset so you get a protracted sunset-over-the-water view (assuming it's not too rainy). Of course, it made a lot of difference to be on the right (west) side of the train, something worth keeping in mind.

NB about the logistics: we were ticketed ahead of time but we _still needed seat assignments_, which are made at 4:30 pm, 90 minutes before departure. With increased security, it would be worth getting there before 4 pm to get in line.

We paid an additional $11 for "business class" which does not get you too much in the way of service -- a $3 coupon to apply to drinks or dinner and bigger, comfier seats, with a 2-and-1 arrangement (the 2-seats were on the right/west side) -- but it does put you in a special fast-track line to get seats, go through security and customs, and board the train. IMHO that alone was worth the $8 differential. Much better to be waiting the hour or so before departure in your seat than shuffling in the long coach line and taking dumb luck regarding seating. Also, they open the dining car to business class passengers as soon as they board so you can kill the time eating dinner if you wish. There are overhead TVs with a movie but it's BYO headsets (or they sell them).

The food in the dining car was quite passable, better than Amtrak usually is, not as good as VIA rail. Just nice to be sitting at a white tableclothed table and watching the view whiz by.

We crossed the border before the terror-alert code went to orange and it was painless -- mainly, you have to stay put wherever you are (in seat or in dining car) for the duration of the stop. I would imagine it would now take much longer than the 15-20 min. it took for us.

Final comment: The Vancouver station is lovely, but there is very very little in the way of information or administration of Amtrak except just prior to departures -- Amtrak is just a desk near the exit to the tracks. No one will tell you on the phone or at the station what I've just said about needing to arrive early to get seat assignments.

The Seattle train station is an eyesore and an embarrassment (like the entire neglected Amtrak system) and it's a good thing there are usually taxis out front to whisk you out of there at 10 pm because it's not in such a great part of town.

Old May 24th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in the Seattle area and have taken Amtrak and I must agree with you that King Street Station is pitiful. A train station in a major city should not look that bad. There's not even a place to grab a bite to eat in there. For years, they've been saying that they will be remodeling, but I've yet to see any progress. Just so you know, Amtrak stations in most major cities
are far above and beyond KSS.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Cascades. I've taken it several times, but I usually sleep during the trip.
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other than train, try Quick Shuttle bus, they have 9 times frequency a day, and gets you there 4 hours including border inspection. look up their website.