Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there really no Hard Rock Cafe in Vancouver? Planet Hollywood? House of Blues?

Is there really no Hard Rock Cafe in Vancouver? Planet Hollywood? House of Blues?

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood in Vancouver had closed. Is that true? Is there a House of Blues? Where will I take my kids to buy their "cool" Vancouver t-shirt?
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:24 AM

I think that once you are there and strolling in different shopping areas, you and your kids will come across some very interesting shops
to buy shirts from; more original and different than the places you mention.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM

yes hard rock and planet hollywood are closed,all you have to do to find cool shirts are go to robson st and also look in gastown on water st,lots of tourist shops there.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Well, where does the older teen and up generation like to go? Whenever we travel, my kids always want to seek out the Hard Rock Cafe. And I always have to find the House of Blues. Can you suggest a restaurant that older teens will think is "cool."
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM

No Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood or House of Blues in Vancouver? It's hardly worth going there then.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM

vancouver hardly worth going?vancouver is one of the most naturally beatiful cities in the world,the sea,the mountains,the beaches,we have it all.As far as restaurants that older teens would like there is red robin,cactus club cafe,and hooters(not sure about the parents but the boys love it here)all these are on robson st.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Hey gman,I guess you didn't notice the sarcasm in my post.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM

I wanted to give the same response as Gerald.

Perhaps Vancouver will help your kids learn that the definition of "cool" has nothinig to do with multi-national brand names but everything to do with the singular, the unique. They're just about that age where hopefully they start to shed their reliance on peer pressure and start figuring out what distinguishes them from everyone else.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Your kids might like the Cactus Club on Robston Street which is a big hangout with a patio. Food for everyone, especially those with 'american' tastes.

There are other shops and restaurants right along Robson St. so you will certainly find something.
There is also a "cool" t-shirt store next to Virgin Records on Robson St. that does custom things - can't remember the name.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I understand where you guys are coming from. It's just that my daughter collects Hard Rock Cafe stuff, and wanted to know if there was one in Vancouver. I am kind of the same way about House of Blues -- if there's one where we travel, I like to stop there for a souvenir.

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM

Take the kids kayaking-Vancouver isn't about franchise bars and restaurants.

www.bowenislandkayaking.com
www.deepcovekayak.com

If it's authentic Blues atmosphere you want try the Yale Hotel but leave the kiddies in the hotel.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:27 PM

Here's my daughter's suggestions. She is 12.5 and aspires to be cool and keep on top of trends.

For restaurants:

Carlos and Buds at 555 Pacific. It has a humorously done Wild West theme, and is very popular.

One of her favorite restaurants overall is Sami's, which serves Indian food, at 986 W. Broadway.

For T-shirts, she recommends Metrotown. However, you can get lots of T-shirts at various shops on Robson Street and Davie Street and Denman Street.

For an emphasis on cool upcoming designer clothes and vintage clothes, walk up Main Street. Start with Burcu's Angels at 2535 Main Street (at Broadway). Then you won't see much again until about 20th or 21st.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 12:53 PM
sockboy

If you want a "cool" t-shirt with Vancouver written on it, how about a Roots t-shirt?

Very Canadian.