Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is It Possible to Enjoy Halifax and Vicinity without renting a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Daniel Williams

Hello. <BR> <BR>I had such a lovely long train trip recently (NYC-Montreal), I was thinking about taking the train from Montreal to Halifax next summer. <BR> <BR>My understanding of Halifax is that the city itself and Dartmouth are pretty compact places with many of the historical sites, B&B accommodation, restaurants and nighttime entertainment within walking distance (combined with taxi, ferry, public transport). <BR> <BR>Some of the ocean views along Nova Scotia's South Shore look gorgeous however, and make me wonder if I can go to a scenic trail without the hassle and responsibility of renting a car. (I'm not the most confident of drivers either.) I frankly don't care if I see EVERY gorgeous ocean vista, as long as I can do one or two scenic trails. I would be willing to take a bus for the day to a lookout point if necessary. <BR> <BR>What do you think? <BR> <BR>DAN

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Eve

Hi Dan: <BR> <BR>I have the same question. We have a single day in Halifax, and wonder whether we should stay in town or venture around the area by car. <BR> <BR>Please let me know whether you have found a good answer to this one! We leave shortly. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Eve

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Island Girl

You are very right about the city itself being compact and easy to get around. I lived there for a year without a car and never felt like I was missing anything. The city bus system is VERY good, and can get you almost anywhere you want to go. However, I can't answer the question about busses outside of town. I would assume that there would be, but I really don't know. Anyone else?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Tanya

You certainly don't need a car around the city. There are several B&B's as well as major hotels located in the downtown core. You can take a bus tour out of historic properties to Peggy's Cove which will provide you with enough scenery! Also there are several tours within the downtown area that are very informative about the history and current life of the city. As well, there is a variety of water tours that will give you a good perspective of our rugged coastline. There have been whales spotted within our harbour in the last few days so lots of wild life as well. Atlantic Tours also do bus tours to Lunenburg (about an hour's drive on the historic southshore). Check them out at www.atlantictours.com <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Daniel Williams

Thank you IslandGirl and Tanya! <BR> <BR>I must say you've stirred some enthusiasm in me; if I hadn't taken my summer vacation already, I'd want to go TOMORROW. While those tours sound absolutely delightful (and I may do them), I have a (possibly unrealistic?) scenario in mind. I picture myself either taking a bus/ferry independent of a tour (maybe to Peggy's Cove or some small town near Halifax), renting a bicycle or roller blades at a shop and just biking/skating along a scenic trail on the by-all- accounts gorgeous coastline. <BR> <BR>And BTW, I do plan to spend a majority of my time in Halifax proper (and Dartmouth)...shopping, going to a few pubs, exploring the historical sites, enjoying the nightlife. I should ask if there are any festivals that you particularly enjoy within the city?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Liz

Daniel, we LOVED the "Buskers" festival. I believe it's an annual event, held in late July or early August (It was a few years ago, foggy on the details)