Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Is A/C common in Québec? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/is-a-c-common-in-qu-bec-398977/)

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 04:20 PM

Is A/C common in Québec?

I am still working out the details to spend the summer in Québec, and the question of A/C just hit me. Living way down in the south United States, summer would be unbearable without A/C. But I am not sure of the summer climate in Canada. Can some of you expound on this issue?

GaryA Feb 13th, 2004 07:34 PM

A/C is essential in Montreal. While the summers are shorter than those in the Southern US they can be quite warm and humid. All decent hotels and restaurants are fully Air Conditioned. In Quebec City the summers are somewhat shorter and not quite as warm but you'll find A/C in most hotels and restaurants.

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 07:54 PM

I am trying to find an apartment rental. I have not seen a mention of A/C in any of the listings. Is A/C common in homes and apartments? Is this something I should ask when inquiring on a particular place? I will definitely be in Québec City, not Montréal.

GaryA Feb 13th, 2004 09:51 PM

In all liklihood residential apartment buildings in Quebec City won't have central air. There's a small chance that it might have a window fitted A/C. If they don't and if you're going to be there for a while you might want to rent one for the bedroom at least.

crepes_a_go_go Feb 14th, 2004 05:04 AM

Thanks Gary. Now I have something to go on. I didn't know you could rent an A/C window unit! I must live a sheltered life - LOL!

Daniel_Williams Feb 14th, 2004 07:16 AM

Hi Crepes

I have lived through 6 summers in Quebec (Montreal) without A/C and know many people who have lived without it through their life. I usually keep a strong fan going with the windows open to get a good cross-current on the hot days, and have found this sufficient for me. I enjoy that I save money and the environmental benefits, but it's up to you. There are times when the heat waves (les canicules) come in for a period of a week or two that can be sticky (high 80sF/ occasional low 90sF), but generally the summer is in the 70sF, with pleasant evening temperatures.

In my experience, apt. buildings in Montreal and Quebec do not come with A/C unless specifically stated.

Have a great time in Quebec City; I always have! DAN

Scarlett Feb 15th, 2004 02:20 PM

I am one of those wusses that has to have a/c at night to sleep in the summer. In August, QC can be very humid, and with the windows open it can be noisy.
We stayed in some old old homes that had been converted into hotels, they all had a/c, so I don't think it would be that hard to find something ...especially coming from the South, I think you might appreciate a little air conditioning :)

crepes_a_go_go Feb 15th, 2004 04:54 PM

I will be 44 years old on Wednesday, and other than my trips to France and England, I've never spent a day in my life without A/C. Two weeks in Paris at the end of May, first of June each year almost kills me.

As it stands, I will have to try it with a fan, and if that's not enough, resort to the suggestion above of renting an A/C unit. I guess if I could afford to stay in an air-conditioned hotel for the two months, I'd be ok. But a teacher's salary doesn't afford me such luxuries!

Scarlett Feb 15th, 2004 05:46 PM

You already have the place you will be staying? And is it without a/c?

victorious Feb 16th, 2004 10:33 PM

I'm from the south too so I can understand needing a/c. I was up there last summer and it was pretty warm. Warmer than I expected. I thought it'd be nice and cool because it's Canada. I bought nice long sleeve shirts and remembered my jacket. I was chilly the first night but other than that I was pretty warm. It wasn't Georgia hot but it was warm and I can't recall being in a place w/o ac. Two months in Quebec? Wow lucky you. Spending the summer up there is one of my dreams.