Reload this Page >

Montreal restaurants, hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 04:47 AM
frank

I know people have answered this numerous times this summer...but Im interested in collecting restaurant & hotel info on Montreal be cause Im going there twice this month. Any gems or warnings you'd like to share? Thanks.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 05:42 AM
igor

We have been to Montreal in september. <BR>We stayed at Hotel de la Montagne (the location is perfect, the hotel faces <BR>Rue Crescent but the rooms are pretty <BR>run down and need major renovations). We ate at Primadonna restaurant on Rue St. Laurent and at Toque (Toque is by far the best restaurant in Montreal but Primadonna was definetely a good experience too). The place to eat some crepes is in Old Montreal - it is on Rue St. Paul. Right next to it is Velvet <BR>cabaret (they have pretty good nightclub ) - the owner plays the piano, they also have a sexaphone player and they spin some great music.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:52 AM
DougD

Montreal is a great city, especially the St. Denis to St. Laurent area. Try and stay on or near Sherbrooke East, or Square St. Louis. This is the heart of the French section, and is very lively. A great street for dining is Duluth street, which is a few blocks above Sherbrooke East. Duluth is lined with great b.y.o.b. ethnic restuarants. If it's a warm evening, check out Prince Arthur street, also in the same neighborhood, which has dozens of outdoor cafes and street entertainment.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Brian Kilgore

Buy the current Gourmet magazine special issue on restaurants, and follow its advice about Montreal, making sure one of the places you visit is Swartz's Deli on St. Laurent <BR>BAK

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Naneki

I agree with igor about Toque -- it's a great restaurant and I highly recommend it.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 07:46 PM
Nancy

We stay at Hotel de la Montagne several times a year. The rooms are spectacular, especially for the price. Nothing "run down" at all and they surely do not "need major renovations".

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:37 PM
Lynn

I cannot imagine why Igor would state that rooms at Hotel de la Montagne are "run down". Quite the contrary. Every comfort imaginable in positively gloriously spacious rooms with par excellence decor and furnishings. The service there could not be more friendly, and the restaurants are magnificent, not to mention the terrific cocktail lounge with a two-for-one happy hour and terrific live music. Igor should explain what he means by "renovations". The bathrooms are HUGE, marble, showers large enough for two, double sinks and mirrors. We dined at Toque a few weeks ago. While the "flavors" were, indeed, quite splendid, we hardly thought it worth the price and lack of choices. Here, the menu is only in French and the "whim" of the chef that day. While it was an interesting experience, we could recommend other dining spots where one is better satisfied - flavor, price and ambience wise.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:51 AM
eric

If you're looking for a full american style breakfast, as opposed to simply coffee and croissants - definitely go to Eggsspectation downtown, I think it's on rue de la Montagne. This place has awesome breakfasts in a really nice setting.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 12:25 AM
AnnieInSF

I can't possibly imagine why Igor would describe the rooms at Hotel de la Montagne as "shabby". We spent Memorial Day weekend there, and it was one of the most fabulous hotel experiences ever for us. Our room was HUGE with brand new furniture, gorgeous decor (I LOVED the comforter), and every ammenity imaginable. I don't usually pay much attention to the bathrooms unless there is something objectionable about them, but the one here was positively magnificent. We found this hotel perfect in every way.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Michelle

Loved the Hotel de la Montagne. We were there just this past weekend for 4 days and were very sorry to leave! The room was so large and the service just great. We can't wait to go back in a month or two!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Kirsten

My husband and I honeymooned in Montreal and it was fantastic. My recommendation - skip the hotel. We stayed at a great B&B, 1/2 a block from a metro stop, by the Molson Centre. The room was great, the food wonderful. We stayed in suite 601. It was beautiful. Check out the web site...http://www.bonsmatins.com. We were there 7 days, did not need a car or taxi. Forget paying for a walking tour - just go. There's so much to do. We enjoyed a bike ride along lachine canal. You must stop at Marche Atwater. <BR>Have a great time. <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 09:23 AM
igor

As requested by a few people on this form, let me rephrase my opinion on Hotel de la Montagne. This is a great <BR>hotel and the furniture might be "the residential French furniture" but when you see the paint peeling off the balcony and when pieces of wallpaper fall off the wall, you just can't say that the decor is great. <BR> <BR>Igor