Looking for a mid-range hotel in Toronto

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Babette

Looking for a mid-range hotel in Toronto

Traveling to Toronto for the first time November 9-11. Is their a mid-range hotel you would recommend? The Holiday Inn on King, the Sheraton Centre, and the Delta Chelsea have been suggested. I read that the Sheraton centre is "shabby" is that true?

The clubs and bars, sidewalk cafes, art galleries, and funky shops of King St. and Queen St. sound like the atmosphere we would enjoy. But of course, we will want to see the CN tower, go the Chinatown and hope to see a broadway show. Would like to check out Tiffanies too, I think that's in Yorkville? Can you walk there?

Any suggestions would be great! We want to see as much as we can. NOT looking for a luxury hotel, but somewhere clean, "in the middle of it all" would be super!

Thanks for any help!

Babette

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:35 PM
lolly

The Sheraton was lovely when I stayed there last year. The Crowne Plaza is also nice, and close to all the action.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Susan

My office is in the same building as the Holiday Inn on King Street. I don't know what the rooms are like, but the area is great. Lots of retaurants, shops, theatres along King Street and Queen Street. You can easily walk over to Eaton Centre (I am often working with clients near there, so frequently walk between the 2) or other areas.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Brian Kilgore

All the hotels you mention are fine. Somewhere yesterday i read about very low rates at the Sheraton via priceline, by the way.

The public areas of the Sheraton are certanly not shabby. I was in the lobby yesterday.

Other similarly priced hotels include the Eaton Centre Marriott, the Fairmont Royal York if you pick a lower-priced room.

About walking to Tiffany's. It depends on your shoes. I've walked from the Eaton Center (Yonge and Queen) to Tiffany's (well, to the neighborhood) hundreds of times. Allow half an hour or so, unless you get distracted by other stores. Check out Birk's, at Bloor and Bay, too, if you like the Tiffany's style. (Half a block between them)

There are several Chinatowns; Spadina between Queen and College, including a few blocks on Dundas, also gets you to Kensington market, which is a mishmash of cultures from jewish garment district to Carribbean foods, with lots in between.

If price did not matter, I'd pick the Holiday Inn from those on your list. It's two blocks from my office, and in the middle of lots of interesting things to see, do and eat.

BAK

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Mike

I've stayed at both the Sheraton and the Delta Chelsea and found them both to be more than adequate. Great locations both, although Sheraton was a little closer to theatre.

Even more "downscale" but perfectly fine is the Courtyard by Marriott on Yonge.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:56 AM
kate

I stayed at the Sheraton downtown and the Marriott Eaton Centre recently. They're both in very good shape. I'd recommend the Sheraton over the Marriott Eaton Centre, the Holiday Inn on King or the Delta Chelsea for the following reasons. First, while the Sheraton is connected to the underground mall/walkway system, so that if the weather is unpleasant (more likely rain at this time of year than snow), you can move around very easily without going outside - and connect to the very safe subway system. The Marriott Eaton Centre is also connected to the underground system (and is next to the Eaton Centre Mall) but it and the Delta Chelsea are a little further away from other attractions. The Sheraton is only a block or so from Queen St West, which is an interesting shopping/restaurant/bar street. It also has a decent gym and a nice pool (but they charge about $6 entrance). The Delta Chelsea is a nice hotel but it's very close to the seedy part of Yonge St (so is the Marriott Eaton Centre and the Marriott Courtyard on Yonge). While the Yonge St strip is safe, it's really quite grungy - strip clubs, rambunctious teenagers, drunks, etc. The Sheraton is in the business district - quiet but cleaner. The Holiday Inn on King is close to the theatres and there are good restaurants nearby, but it's a little further away from "shopping centre", and it's further away from the subway line. (About a 5-10 minute walk, as compared with the Sheraton and the two Marriotts). The Royal York is fine, conveniently connected to the subway system and underground malls, and close to the hockey hall of fame, Air Canada Centre, Hummingbird Centre, etc - but about a 5-10 minute walk from the shopping districts. I'm not a fan of Harbourfront hotels, because they're too far away from the centre of the city - they're separated from the rest of the city by a highway (although there is public transit to connect you).

Two other possibilities to consider are the Marriott on Bloor St just East of Yonge, if you'd like to be near Yorkville (a very upscale restaurant/shopping area) - also convenient to the subway system, or, if you're looking for a budget option, the Quality Inn on Bloor Street West (near Spadina). It's located very close to the Annex (a very popular residential neighbourhood next to the University of Toronto) and close to Yorkville.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Valerie

I stayed at the Marriott on Bloor (east of Yonge) in August and thought that it was fine. The best part was the location - a couple blocks away from Yorkville and all its shops and resturants, the ROM is also close by, University Ave, Yonge Street and there is a subway station in the same building as the hotel - but we walked everywhere it was so convenient. The room itself was nothing to write home about but it was clean and had the basic amenities. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and our room rate of CDN180 per night (or thereabouts) also included a full breakfast.

You mentioned that you want to see a Broadway show and I can confirm that we saw the Lion King - we had been in NYC prior to going up to Toronto and were unable to get tickets for Lion King there. My cousin who lives in Toronto was able to secure tickets for us with relative ease and they were cheaper than the tickets in NY and the seats were great. He was able to get them within a week of the performance so that was'nt too bad. Was told that you can also purchae tickets on line. We did a Sunday afternoon matinee show (2pm). There were quite a few decent restaurants near the "theatre district" for after show.