Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Info on Sutton Place in Vacouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/info-on-sutton-place-in-vacouver-500825/)

dona Feb 3rd, 2005 07:13 AM

Info on Sutton Place in Vacouver

Does anyone have current info on Sutton Place Hotel? I've read some reviews that suggest that it's become a bit run down. I was hoping that it had been refurbished and that might not be a problem. If one was choosing between the Westin Grand and Sutton which one would be the winner?

Sam_Salmon Feb 3rd, 2005 02:44 PM

I haven't been into the Sutton lately but I wonder how it could become '<i>run down</i>' when it's so new?

Thw Westin Grand is just short of brand new in any case-they are a few minutes walk apart.

GaryA Feb 3rd, 2005 06:25 PM

Nonsence! the Sutton Place is still a five diamond hotel and in a very central location. I havn't heard any mention of it's standards being dropped and in fact recently the Four Seasons here was downgraded to four Diamonds by AAA while the Sutton Place retained it's standing.

The Westin Grand is not nearly as well located, except for the sports venues, although it's rooms, (suites?), are more spacious. But it's standards are a cut below the Sutton Place.

dona Feb 4th, 2005 05:54 AM

I was reacting to 1 review on Fodors board and several reviews on TripAdvisor about the quality of the rooms. The Triple A stars have a relationship to the various services a hotel offers. We don't usually avail ourselves of the amenities of a hotel, such as the fitness center, spa or meeting facilities. What's important to us is good service, which the Sutton Place seems to have, and a really nice room with a comfortable bed and up to date bathroom.

lunchtime Feb 4th, 2005 07:19 AM

Dona-- Sorry I can't help, but I thought I'd pop in here and say I'm in the same boat - trying to decide between Sutton Place and the Westin Grand. And like you, I don't want to be disappointed with a room that needs updating, when there are so many hotels to choose from in Vancouver.

I can get a big suite at Westin Grand with nice new bathroom (soaking tub) or a small room at Sutton Place. But as others have noted, I'm concerned about the location.

When will you be taking your trip?

taggie Feb 5th, 2005 03:22 PM

What is the concern about the location of the Westin Grand? It's 2 blocks from downtown's biggest shopping mall, 4 blocks from the major shopping on Robson St. and right next to the library. Lots of condos in the area too. It's certainly not near anything dodgy and there are a few other hotels in the area too.

hydra Feb 5th, 2005 04:06 PM

I've stayed at the Sutton on a regular basis since it was a Meridian in the early 90's. My most recent stay was for a few days last December. In fact, in the fourteen years I've stayed there on business (usually about five times a year) I've not had a complaint.

I would not agree that it is run-down. Run down to me means tatty carpets, thin towels, smells and bad room service. What I've found is yes -- its time they consider replacing the matresses but they are still fine. Room service at the hotel is good and very prompt.

Ask for a room with a four piece bath (they have a seperate shower stall). These bathrooms are larger. The tubs are pretty standard so if you're looking for a soaker tub you won't find it here (stay at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport if you want a bathroom that is wonderful). Robes are standard, newspaper everyday, nice breakfast room and the best valet service in Vancouver.

The location cannot be beat. I would suggest you give it a try.