Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Indian Arm luncheon cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/indian-arm-luncheon-cruise-842981/)

jent103 Jun 2nd, 2010 11:00 AM

Indian Arm luncheon cruise

Has anyone here done the Harbour Cruises lunch cruise of Indian Arm fjord? It sounds great (of course, the tour companies always make it sound great!), and I'm fine with paying for it if it's really good. But if it isn't, or if there's a better way to see the fjord, that's $65 I could put elsewhere. Any thoughts? I can't find much in the way of reviews.

If it helps, I'd be cruising solo on a Saturday or Sunday in late July. I know there's kayaking available but I'm not really interested in doing that, especially by myself. I won't have a car.

Sam_Salmon Jun 2nd, 2010 07:21 PM

No car No Kayak means there's only one way to see the fjord and that's the cruise.

I find tours like the one you're contemplating depend much on the group you're sharing it with-could be fun/could be a bunch of drunken monkeys. 8-|)

jent103 Jun 2nd, 2010 07:28 PM

Thanks, Sam - you're probably right! I've been leaning toward nixing the cruise in favor of an overnight in Victoria. That would save me money and be a little less dependent on the weather, I think. After Vancouver I'm headed to Banff, and I feel like, based on pictures I've seen, even the fjord would pale in comparison.

traveller69 Jun 2nd, 2010 09:28 PM

Your time is better spent in Victoria. The fjord is not exactly the way they make it sound. Not spectacular at all.
Victoria has far more to offer.

jent103 Jun 3rd, 2010 04:44 AM

Thanks for the input, traveller! I think Victoria is sounding more and more like the better alternative.

immimi Jun 3rd, 2010 07:01 AM

The ferry to Victoria will give you a good idea of the inlet
as the ferry goes through Active Pass. Well, sort of.

Altho' I live by the Inlet and love it, I'd choose Victoria
for an extra day and try to get to Sooke.

If the weather isn't perfect Indian Arm can be very gloomy.
JMO, of course.

jent103 Jun 3rd, 2010 07:25 AM

immimi, I hadn't heard anything about Sooke so far, but pictures on Flickr do look lovely. Is there straightforward public transit to that area? I'm unable to add a day in that area, since my flights are booked and I have to be in downtown Vancouver Sunday evening for a conference. (My current plan is to fly into YVR Friday evening around 7pm, stay in an airport hotel, and get to Victoria Saturday morning, then back to downtown Vancouver Sunday afternoon/evening.)

traveller69 Jun 3rd, 2010 12:47 PM

For the limited time you have I would not bother with Sooke. Just stay in the city. There is plenty to do right there to keep you busy. Also instead of the Indian arm cruise you could take a whale watching trip from the inner harbour in Victoria. The Royal BC Museum is world class and will take a few hours to see it properly as well.

jent103 Jun 3rd, 2010 01:21 PM

traveller, that's pretty much what I was thinking. In the day and a half I'll have I'm hoping to visit the museum, Butchart Gardens and probably do a whale watching cruise in addition to walking around town. Any particular recommendations on a company? I think it was you who on another thread recommended Prince of Whales, but I'm not sure how old that thread was.

traveller69 Jun 3rd, 2010 07:29 PM

Hi Jent103 Yes I did recommend Prince of Whales but there are several good ones. Orca Spirit is good too http://www.orcaspirit.com/ Their website gives a report on whale sightings each day. Something for you to check out as well.

jent103 Jun 4th, 2010 06:54 AM

Thanks - I'll check them out as well! How far in advance do you think I'd need to make reservations for whale watching? I know it's very high season, but I'd love to be able to wait and see what the weather will be like before committing to a time. I'm not sure that's realistic, though!

traveller69 Jun 4th, 2010 11:41 AM

I would contact them I am sure you would be able to cancel with no problems but perhaps send them an email to check their policy. Hopefully the sun will be shining and the orca will be cooperative. I have seen more orca from BC Ferries than on a whale watching expedition so keep your eyes open. They do make an announcement if there is any sealife to view.