Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

In Toronto: Restaurants Teenagers would love?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:05 PM
pyoung

Will be in Toronto for 6 days staying at Westin Harbor Castle Hotel. My daughter and her friends (all Irish Step Dancers)will want some fun places to go eat in the area. Are there any that you can recommend that are fun, relatively reasonable, and have good food. Is that asking too much? Also, as an adult, are there any good bakeries or breakfast places near the hotel within walking distance?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:52 PM
Brian Kilgore

On Saturday morning, walk up to the St.Lawrence Market at Jarvis and Front Street, and buy a peameal bacon sandwich and take it out on the terrace to eat.

Any day, walk up to Marche, in the east end of BCE place, at Yonge Street just north of Front Street. Thee are dozens of separate 'stations" where you order various parts of your meal. Be careful. The prices add up fast.

Try the Hot House Cafe at Front and Church, for modern Italian food, reasonable prices, good staff, etc. I fed a teenager in there for years and was there so often I had my own table.

Hot dogs from the street vendors and french fries from the trucks are almost always excellent.

BAK

Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:58 PM
pyoung

BAK....you are Mr. Toronto!!! Thanks for the wealth of info on all my posts regarding our trip to TO next week. Really looking forward to the trip.

Jun 25th, 2001, 06:15 AM
garyt

Patty - to add a bit to the sage advice of Mr.TO... You are in an excellent area for the kids... just outside the hotel is the Harbour Front and Queens Quay (pronounced KEY). Part of the area contains a mall/ shopping area with several outdoor dining spots, boat tours, vendors, and activities. You can also hop the Ferry to the Toronto Islands and picnic inexpensively with your peameal. For the charm and bustle of the european market, take the kids to the Kensington market, where streets smell of fresh baked goods, cheeses,poultry,(the live chickens still are kept outside), and you can eat as you shop. Marche' is great at BCE, but far from reasonable, My family of four ran up a $100 cdn check easily.

Jun 25th, 2001, 07:39 AM
pyoung

Hey! What is peameal.....sounds interesting and regional. We don't have that in SF.

Jun 25th, 2001, 11:14 AM
elizabeth

Good question - what IS peameal bacon? It's a dense, not fatty cut of pork - I suspect a similar cut that is usually smoked as ham. The "meal" refers to its cornmeal crust. Several vendors at the St. Lawrence market sell Peameal on a bun, but the best known is about mid way down the west side of the market - called Carousel Bakery.

Jun 25th, 2001, 07:16 PM
pyoung

Wow! Sounds yummy....we have something similar but probably not as good: the American corn dog--an amusement park favorite.

Jun 27th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Brian Kilgore

Just for the folks of San Francisco; much (perhaps most) of the ducks for sale in Chinatown come from the town of Aurora, just north of Toronto.

IT's the King Cole duck company. I once went to San Francisco to phtogaph these. (I was in Visalia Calif photographing frozen bull semen, too.)

Anyway, Americans continue to be welcome in Toronto, and you'll enjoy the peameal bacon sandwiches.

BAK

Jun 28th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Susan

The corndog is not at all similar to peameal bacon. The peameal "crust" is very very thin, not like the dough around a corndog. It's more like back bacon (Canadian bacon) with a bit of cornmeal on it.