Polar Bears with 4-year old???

Old Mar 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polar Bears with 4-year old???

My husband and I have traveled all over the world to view animals. Now, we have a 4-year old and would like to try a trip with her. She loves polar bears and I thought this might be a great trip for her. The little research I did seemed to suggest that the tours have age limits. Are there any private tours where it is just my family? Also, are there any luxurious options? (Or am I delusional?)
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:28 PM

I haven't gone on a polar bear tour, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I did spend some time in Churchill this past summer. From my understanding, these tours are all day affairs where it's you and others on a giant tundra buggy, again, for a good chunk of the day. This is likely why there are age limits. One company to consider: http://www.frontiersnorth.com/the-tu...uggy-adventure

Not sure about private tours, but maybe it's best to contact Travel Manitoba directly and ask them what your options are: http://www.travelmanitoba.com/

For luxury in Churchill, scale your expectations down from the Shangri-La and the Fairmont. This is the most luxurious accommodation: http://www.lazybearlodge.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 05:52 AM

You could buy her a Polar Bear... (luxurious option)
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 06:42 AM

I'd wait a few years. Your kid won't remember much of that trip. Maybe start where you can see wild animals in the wild and do other things like Yellowstone or some whale watching spot with a beach nearby (although water is often cold where whales feed).
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 09:25 AM

I agree with Erick_L...

Seriously, the needs of a four year old, potty stops, naptime, whining, eating needs, and the fact that they won't remember much make this trip premature... we spent thousands on a Disney Trip when our kids were 4 and 5, and they remembered little of the trip...

At that age, a zoo trip would satisfy the immediate need to see bears rather than the hours of searching the wild for a natural encounter...

You can travel with your kid, but pick trips that You want until they are 7 or 8, when they can appreciate it...
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

She is a pretty good traveler. We have already done Disney three times. I was hoping that there might be a private tour where the guide took us only so we could do what we want rather than go with a group.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 01:35 PM

As BC_Robyn says check travel Manitoba but I wouldn't even try to have a go at this trip.. 4 is too young IMO for the experience, the inconvenience of the flights(although I don't know from whence you come) and there are no luxuty accom. as far as I know. This town is a bit of an outpost with little to excite a 4 yr. old. Why not try Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, or a beach somewhere and just kick back with the gal???
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
On my second trip to Churchill I took my wife. We took a somewhat cheaper option to see a polar bear in the wild.
We got off the ViaRail train in the morning. My wife and I and a Japanese tourist gave a taxi driver $20 each to go out of town to see a polar bear. We saw one on the other side of a small channel. We will never return to Churchill.
The train leaves Churchill 12 hours after they arrive even if they were late in the morning. I never took a tundra buggy or a helicopter or even spent a night in Churchill.
Wait until your child is at least 8 before taking a trip such as this.
Both trips to Churchill were 1.5 days each way from Winnipeg on the train.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Well there you have it! Now you should be convinced to find a different venue for your adventure!!