If you only had 1 full day in Quebec City what would you see

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan our family vacation with our first stop from Ontario being Quebec City. We are thinking we might only have 1 full day there. What would we want to see. Also we would like to see Montmorency Falls, how far away is that and how much time should we spend there.
Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Hi, Kim!
I had less than one full day in Quebec City in December. I am from Los Angeles, CA and I had always wanted to visit Chateau Frontenac after falling in love with the beautiful architecture of the Canada Pavilion at EPCOT at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida (where I first tasted tourtierre--traditional Quebec meat pie). We didn't really have much time at Chateau Frontenac, but I got to see it up close, and we browsed around the lovely shops inside. We spent most of the day just walking around the old city, shopping, and admiring the beautiful buildings. We had a marvelous lunch at Aux Anciens Canadiens (34 Rue St. Louis) sampling a delicious menu of authentic Canadian cuisine. A cozy place for a light dinner was Brulerie Tatum Cafe on Rue St. Jean, and head for Chez Ashton for a fast-food fix of poutine! Early the next morning, I had a delicious, syrup-dipped fresh waffle at Gaufre on Rue St. Jean. The highlight for me, was the warmth and friendliness of the charming and lovely people of Quebec--I will never forget their kind hospitality, and I thank them very much! I'm sure you and your family will have a great time!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:57 AM

If I had only one day in Quebec City, I'd skip the falls and just walk around the walled city - upper and lower. It's absolutely beautiful. Where comfortable shoes and just start walking! Have a great time!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM

I agree. I've been there a few times and that's what I always do - just wander around - it's a great place to spend a day.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I wouldn't skip the chutes (if you like that kind of thing) - they're just about 15 minutes from the city (by car). I would try to go in the early morning and walk the paths, enjoy the sight and then head back to the city before noon and spend the rest of the day exploring Old Quebec.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:50 PM

the Chutes Montmorency are not to be missed. Walk across the bridge that is directly over the falls and look down.
Incredible perspective.

Then, take a tour of the Plains of Abraham battlefield. That skirmish, modest by later standards, determined the future of North America. The multi media presentation in the visitor center is in English and French.

Then, walk around the Frontenac and some of the shops in the old town.

And find a quality restaurant to eat in.
The food of Quebec is better than anything I know of, including Paris!
Yes, the people are of French descent, but they do foods with their own design and artistry. That is the only way to describe it: artistry.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM

IN addition to the other suggestions, you should try to visit La Citadelle, the historic fort which dominates the upper town. There are 1 hr guided tours, and in summer, the Royal 22e Régiment performs the changing of the guard every morning, and on weekends, the beating of retreat ceremony in the evening. The views from the ramparts are outstanding.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Kim, I just go back from Quebec City and had a wonderful two day over new years weekend with my wife. I agree with the other messages, forget the falls, although we did enjoy seeing them and walking the path to the bridge overlooking the falls. But since you only have one day, enjoy walking the small narrow streets in the old town upper and lower, see Chateau Frontenac, eat at the Aux Anciens Canadiens, shop at the boutique stores and enjoy the lovely and beautiful french town.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone so much for your advise. I can't wait to see this city it looks so beautiful