Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   If you could only see 6 things in PEI ... (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/if-you-could-only-see-6-things-in-pei-739087/)

klymkibo Sep 26th, 2007 10:36 AM

If you could only see 6 things in PEI ...

... what would those 6 things be? I'm planning to stay at the Brackley Beach North Winds with my wife in the late spring, & am trying to figure out how many days to reserve, and how many day-trips to take.

LJ Sep 26th, 2007 11:07 AM

Well you must see the Anne of Green Gables "home"...I believe it is illegal to go to PEI and NOT visit.

Personally, I loved a stroll a work colleague and I took on the virtually empty, wind-swept beaches (Brackley, Stanhope...whatever) in spring. It was pouring rain but we were dressed for it and it had its own wild and lovely beauty.

When I was a kid I LOVED Woodleigh Replicas...but I don't even know if they are still around.

klam_chowder Sep 26th, 2007 12:36 PM

1. Founders Hall
2. North Cape wind farm
3. Confederation Bridge
4. Red sand beaches
5. Anne of Green Gables Musical
6. Charlottetown Farmers' Market

Enjoy-la!

BAK Sep 26th, 2007 01:31 PM

Three lobster dinners, two lobster lunches, and one lobster breakfast would be a good start.

Each in a different locati0n, of course.

BAK

lucyp Sep 27th, 2007 05:35 AM

Rocky Point provincial park
A play at Victoria Playhouse
Confederation Centre Art Gallery
Merchantman Pub, Charlottetown
Blooming Point beach
Biking on the Confederation trail especially form Mount Stewart to St. Peters

ltt Sep 27th, 2007 06:20 AM

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/pe/pei-ipe/ne/ne1_E.asp

lucyp Sep 27th, 2007 06:31 AM

6 places to eat:
Dayboat, Hunter River
Carr's (seafood), Stanley Bridge
Stanhope Bay Resort, Stanhope
Blue Mussel Cafe, North Rustico
Merchantman Pub, Ch'town
New Glasgow Lobster Supper, New Glasgow

laverendrye Sep 27th, 2007 09:53 AM

I'm surprised that no-one has listed Province House as a must-see. As the site of the 1864 Charlottetown Conference which eventually led to Canadian Confederation, it's certainly worth a visit.

As an aside, I'm always a bit amused on how PEI plays up its role in confederation ("Cradle of Confederation" etc.) even though it declined to join the others in 1867 and held out 6 more years until it could extract more money from Canada. Or perhaps that's the real nature of Canadian confederation!

klymkibo Sep 28th, 2007 02:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. So far I've narrowed the list down to 9 overall items: 1. Brackley Beach North Winds Inn 2. The Lakeview ... Loyalist in Summerside 3. All 3 drives (West, Central & East) 4. Beaches 5. Lighthouses 6. The Musical & 7. Waterfront Patio Restaurants. It all looks like about a week's worth of staying on PEI to me.

klymkibo Oct 1st, 2007 09:54 AM

Actually, I can now elaborate even further. This is the plan ...

Monday #1 Arrive late at Delta Prince Edward (Charlottetown)

Tuesday #1 Rest or shop, then Merchantman Pub for supper

Wednesday #1 Main street stroll, waterfront patio restaurant for supper & Anne of Green Gables musical

Thursday #1 Check out. Drive to Brackley Beach North Winds Inn. Dinner at Victorian Inn in Delvay-by-the-Sea (used in ‘Road to Avonlea’)

Friday #1 Points East Coastal Drive, stopping in Souris for beach/lighthouse/marina/patio supper

Saturday #1 Rest. Lobster Supper in New Glasgow

Sunday #2 Check out. Drive to North Rustico Harbour for beach/lighthouse/marina/patio brunch. Drive to Lakeside … Loyalist Resort (Summerside). Supper at waterfront patio restaurant near marina.

Monday #2 Rest or shop or spa. O’Ryan’s for supper.

Tuesday #2 North Cape Coastal Drive, stopping in West Point for beach/lighthouse/marina/patio supper

Wednesday #2 Rest or shop or spa. P & T Café for supper.

Thursday #2 Check out.

LJ Oct 2nd, 2007 05:32 AM

Sounds very balanced: have a great trip!