Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

If I book my Montreal hotel through an air+hotel package, can I still claim back my HOTEL TAXES?

If I book my Montreal hotel through an air+hotel package, can I still claim back my HOTEL TAXES?

Aug 30th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if it is possible to claim back my money paid for Montreal hotel taxes if I reserved an air/hotel combined package on a travel website??

I reserved the entire package through hotels.com

Do I simply ask my hotel for an itemized bill when I check out of there?

Thank you for your help! Two days to Montreal...

--Betty
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:20 AM
sockboy

I am pretty sure that you can only claim back the GST (federal tax). If you actually pay GST on this package, you should be able to get it back for the hotel portion. However, I think you will find that hotels.com won't charge you GST to begin with, as they sell to customers outside of Canada. (Priceline doesn't charge GST either). If you haven't paid it, you can't get a rebate. What does your receipt from hotels.com indicate? Does it have a line for GST, and a GST number? If not, you didn't pay it, so you won't get it back.

Aug 30th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

sockboy: Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that...whew!
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM

See what your hotel receipt says. Even though you may have paid in advance for the room, the hotel will probably take a credit card imprint and give you an itemized statement showing the room rate. If it charges GST, that will be itemized. However, since the entire transaction (air and hotel) was sold to someone eligible for the refund, it would make sense for them not to charge it in the first place.
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Kayd,

Thanks a million!
Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:08 AM

I work pt at the front desk of a US hotel.

When we get those pre-paid reservations from various on-line services (expedia, lodging.com, etc), the price paid by the agency is NOT divulged to the customer. A separate folio (account ledger) is automatically set up for incidentals, and yes, a credit card imprint/scan is taken.

When the guest checks out, all he gets is the incidentals folio. We are specifically told to NOT disclose the contractual price paid by the agency, which is considerably lower than any rate I am allowed to give to walk-ins.

In a related matter, there was a USAToday story a number of months ago about how some of these agencies were taxing the reservations at the rate CHARGED THE ROOM, yet paying the tax on the rate they pay the hotel. Some local areas are fighting to get paid the entire tax collected by the agency.

eg: 12% tax
Customer pays $112 for a "$100 room"
Hotel gets $78.40 for a $70 sale

So maybe you won't get your hotel taxes refunded.