Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   I love Montreal - North America's Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/i-love-montreal-north-americas-paris-684523/)

jlt1988 Mar 3rd, 2007 08:35 AM

I love Montreal - North America's Paris

It is difficult to find websites that capture the character and appeal of Montreal so I created one:

http://www.LoveLetterToMontreal.com

Any feedback from those who know the city is appreaciated.

traveller69 Mar 3rd, 2007 09:18 AM

Judy what a great job you have done!! I had never been to Montreal but my husband was born, raised and lived there for the first 35 years of his life. He took me for a visit a few years ago and I fell in love with it too. Although we did go during the fall season so didn't experience summer humidity and winter cold. I can't wait to go back. And the food!!!!!!!

olive_oil Mar 3rd, 2007 11:16 AM

Dear Judy,

Thank you! That is exactly what I've been looking for. I am visiting Montreal for the first time in late August.I'm only staying for a week but I'm really looking forward to it. Now, more than ever.

snoopy12 Mar 3rd, 2007 03:08 PM

That is a lovely website, with great pictures! I was born and raised in Montreal and visit several times a year, but always doing family things so I don't think much about what a great city it is. Thanks!

quimbymoy Mar 3rd, 2007 03:17 PM

hi judy! what a lovely website! i am traveling there at the end of the month and it has really gotten me excited. thank you!!

wow Mar 3rd, 2007 06:10 PM

Hi, Judy! Thanks for the wonderful description & pictures. I have a question: Whenever I go to Montreal, I always stay on Sherbrooke West. How far is "The Plateau" from Sherbrooke & Peel? Can you walk? Taxi? Last time I was there we went to a wonderful Italian restaurant & a Greek restaurant on Prince Arthur in the "cobble stoned" area? Is this near "The Plateau"?

Daniel_Williams Mar 4th, 2007 07:40 AM

Wow: The Plateau is a big neighbourhood; the cobblestoned portion of Prince Arthur is part of it, the southwest corner of the Plateau.

I work as a college teacher here in Montreal and just purchased a humble condo in the Plateau-Mont-Royal district close to the Parc Lafontaine that you love, Judy.

I'm smitten with the Plateau myself. Used to be much more affordable for average working Montrealers even as recently as 10 years ago (which is part of its charm is that it's a real neighbourhood). I'm lucky to have found a good deal and to have been wise in savings from a decently-paid biotech job prior to its downsizing.

While some people who bought in the Plateau in referendum years have undoubtedly gotten rich, the downside to foreigners buying up the property is now many Montrealers can no longer afford to rent or buy even something humble in what was a high density working-class/artsy area before. (A perhaps global trend).

Judy, thanks for your lovely photo tribute to this fair city (as you say, you don't need a car; I don't own one, using my bike and public transit). I try to downplay its virtues so that hopefully some friends of mine can afford to stay ;). Emphasize those grey, depressing winters, how Plateauites are stuck-up, and then there all those risky investment old attached buildings with their fire hazards, and how Vancouver has so much prettier a natural setting and how far away the ocean is from Montreal ;).

jlt1988 Mar 4th, 2007 09:17 AM

WOW: You might consider staying at http://www.aubergedelafontaine.com located on the north side of Parc la Fontaine and in the heart of the Plateau. Then you can check out the park and you'll be very close to the amazing Duluth St for dining. It is an easy trip by taxi to your work location since it is only about 3 miles away.

jlt1988 Mar 4th, 2007 09:20 AM

Daniel - I am sensitive to the issue you raise about the Plateau and struggled with whether to create the website. Do you think I should take it down?

wow Mar 4th, 2007 12:49 PM

Thanks Daniel & Judy. Congrats on your purchase, Daniel! Judy, I think Daniel was saying that the Plateau is such a great area that it should be kept a secret! I don't believe he was even remotely suggesting that you shd take down your site! :)
I will check out Auberge de la Fontaine.

Daniel_Williams Mar 5th, 2007 05:37 AM

Judy,

The rising of prices in the Plateau has been underway for some time now for many reasons; your website will have little effect on that. So please don't take down your charming website, which is a lovely tribute to this fair city; maybe some Montrealers will read it and be reminded of what a lovely place we live in.

Wow: Thanks for your congrats. Since I've rented all my life until now, I'm still in disbelief and quasi-shock from that whooshing sound out of my bank account from the cash-down, but am very happy at the same time to own a 2BR in the Plateau near Mont-Royal metro. As a college teacher, I don't think I could afford to buy in many North American (or European! or Asian!) cities, so I'm really thankful that Montreal is not yet exorbitant.

Best wishes, DAN

thit_cho Mar 5th, 2007 09:55 AM

What a great site! I live in NY, but I travel to Montreal from time to time (I used to visit to watch the Mets play the Expos), and now visit to see concerts and to eat at Schwartz's (better pastrami than even in NY).

But, still I prefer Paris (I find Montreal pleasant for a long weekend, but I can easily spend a week or more in Paris).

wow Mar 5th, 2007 11:00 AM

Dan: The whooshing will subside to be replaced by the sweet sound of the steady undercurrent of Owner's Equity! You're going to love it!

InMiami Mar 5th, 2007 04:03 PM

Judy, great site and photos!
I will be visiting Montreal next September. The Plateau area looks fantastic. Can you recommend a hotel in this area that is close to a subway?

nbujic Mar 5th, 2007 06:25 PM

I know Paris. I love Paris. Montreal is no Paris.

PamSF Mar 6th, 2007 09:35 AM

I love Paris and I love Montreal! We had a great time there in Fall of 2006. Our favorite place to stay was the Sans Soucy in Old Port. Dining was fabulous all over the city. We were there as well for the Lantern Festival at the Botanical Garden.

Being from the West coast of the US~Montreal was a relatively short trip compared to Paris!(Flight time)

jlt1988 Mar 6th, 2007 12:10 PM

Dear InMiami - The subway is reasonably close to most of the nice areas, but you might consider Auberge de la Fontaine http://www.aubergedelafontaine.com. It is are located on the north side of Parc la Fontaine (with a free A+ breakfast in the AM) and that is a great central location to Duluth St. dining, Mont-Royal avenue shops and subway (maybe a 10 min walk), St. Denis and St. Laurent steets, Old Montreal, the mountain, St. Louis Sq and Prince Arthur St, the botanical garden, lots of things.

If you want to spend less, you might find something on Craigslist.com or Rentalo.com. There are other less expensive B&B type things in the Plateau.I'll be happy to give guidance on other possible locations.

Here's one that is quite nice and over by St. Louis Square: http://studio.provaction.com/montreal.html. Price is $600/week CD or about $510 USD. But there are lots of taxes on top of that.

Anyway, there are many nice options for lodging, just depends on budget.

InMiami Mar 6th, 2007 03:44 PM

jlt1988, thank you for your assistance. I called the Auberge de la Fontaine and it is a bit outside of our price range.

The Chateau de L'Argoat is located on Rue Sherbrook just east of Rue St-Denis. It is in our price range and receives good reviews on Tripadvisor. Do you know anything about this part of town?

jlt1988 Mar 7th, 2007 04:33 AM

Dear InMiami - Yes, that is a good central location and if you want to spend some time in Parc la Fontaine, you can just walk east on Sherbrook until you get to it.

Your location will be very close to St. Louis Square and Prince Arthur St. Going north on St.Denis you'll find a lot of shops and restuarants plus it will cross the wonderful Duluth St. Going south on St. Denis will take you to the Latin Quarter where lots of students live.

You can easily get to Old Montreal from there and also the mountain if you want to go up. Also close to the subway.

I think it should work out well for you in that location.

InMiami Mar 7th, 2007 09:38 AM

Judy, BTW, I love Paris too!
Please, one more Montreal question; Another hotel I am considering is the Hotel Du Fort. It is in a more downtown location near Rue Ste-Catherine on Rue Du Fort. The breakfast is better than what is served at the Auberge and it is a true all amenities hotel. Which area/hotel would present a better Montreal "experience"?