Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

I have a few questions to ask you all about my Niagara Falls vacations.

Feb 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

At what time do they turn the falls on and off? Coming from the West Coast, due to the time difference, we donít want to show up at the wrong time!

Which website is the best for learning Canadian.

Is the People Mover along the river the same as a people mover at any airport? A running black trail, you just step on it, and it will move like a flat escalator?

There is a revolving restaurant at Skylon. How fast does it go? Will I get dizzy and sick? Do they place paper bags on each seat like in an airplane? Do they have commercials printed on those bags?

Why is ice-wine so popular? In the US we donít add ice cubes to wine. Whatís the catch?

Maid of the Mist rides: do we need passports? What if a boat accidentally crosses the line on the river between the 2 countries? And how do they manage to keep this line drawn in the middle of the river?

How do we get to the Goat Island? Is it completely surrounded by water? Should we bring some carrots for goats?

Do they use metric system in Canada? If yes, can I still use my 35mm film, or should I buy it when I get there?

Yes, I am for real. No, my questions are not serious. Therefore, donít give me serious answers.

Feb 16th, 2009, 04:18 AM

The falls are turned off when too many americans visit the Canadian side.
Learn french.
The people mover is actually a mule train.
Some people get dizzy from the revolving restaurant at Skylon but they are usually americans who didn't get used to eat decent food for a change.Paper bags can be bought at the entrance.
Ice in wine is a mortal sin and will result in doing time.
You will require a special document stating that you are not an alien or from California.
There is a rope line between the two countries.If you should cross it you will be incarcerated on Goat's island .
The only inhabitants of Goat's island are those people who have crossed the line in the Maid of the mist.
It's best to buy the film in Canada for their economy.Have a nice day.
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:20 AM

Seriously there was an excellent PBS special on the Falls
and the volume is slowed down at night to slow the erosion. If you can find it, it would be great to watch this show before your visit.
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Speaking Canadian: add a to the end of your sentences "a"

Seriously-many years ago, they actually diverted the water from one fall to another to do geological studies and other stuff. I was a child then so I dont remember all the reasons, but being a local, we all went to see the turned off Falls. It was pretty neat.

For fun at the Skylon, you can put a fry on the rim (which remains stable, while the restaurant revolves) with a note asking for someone to give you ketchup.

The Goats are hiberanting now, maybe they will return for Spring.

Great Qs Dayenu!!
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Speaking Canadian: add a to the end of your sentences "a"

That would be "eh", not "a".
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for excellent advices, eh?

See you one the other side! (Get it? other side of Fodor's, it goes down soon!)
Feb 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM

The falls are turned off at exactly 9 p.m. unless you're from California and then they turn off at noon.

For learning Canadian, go to www.arrogant-worms.com. You'll never be the same again.

The People Mover is actually a big fat man with a fly swatter. As he hits you on the rump, he yells "People Move, er". He's obviously not a Canadian, eh?

The revolving restaurant is a must. All Canadians get a seat belt. The restaurant revolves so fast that all non-Canadians are thrown out of the restaurant, across the falls, and back onto New York soil. That's why New Yorkers are so mean all the time - they keep getting whacked in the head by non-Canadians. No paper bags necessary - just use the hat, pocket, purse of the New Yorker you land on. Commercials - h**l yes! All over the New Yorkers' clothes.

Canadians are so hot that they have to put ice cubes in the wine so that Americans won't jump their bones.

No need for passports. If you don't speak Canadian they drown you at the rope line.

The only way to get to Goat Island is in the stomach of a goat. Luckily goats eat anything - even Americans. No carrots, but bathing in a butter sauce before is always appreciated by the goats.

Do they use metric system in Canada? If yes, can I still use my 35mm film, or should I buy it when I get there?

Yes, they use the metric system in Canada. You can only get 35mm film in lengths of 28mm. Unfortunately, American cameras only use rolls, so you can't use the film. Also, your shutter speeds won't work either as they're in fractions, and your camera won't be able to adjust the aperture because they aren't divisable by 5.

Serious note: The PBS show is very well done. You can also look for the books by T W Kriner (In the Mad Water and Journeys to the Brink of Doom) - great true stories of the antics, accidents, and tragedies of the falls. Of course, Pierre Berton's Niagara is the ultimate book on the falls.

The Falls were shut down because the US was having a falls envy moment and decided they wanted to clean up the American Falls and get rid of all the debri at the bottom (rotten rocks and rotten trees, for God's sake). The Canadians agreed and the falls got turned off for a few days (can't remember exactly how many). Unfortunately for the US, it was discovered that if they removed the debri, the entire embankment would collapse, so they left it all there and started up the falls again. Interesting fact: no one has ever survived a fall over the American Falls, but many have survived a fall over the Horseshoe Falls (including a very handsome German Shepherd Dog).
Feb 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

You guys are something!