Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   how to use the bus-ferry system from victoria to vancouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/how-to-use-the-bus-ferry-system-from-victoria-to-vancouver-437151/)

sactomama May 30th, 2004 05:26 PM

how to use the bus-ferry system from victoria to vancouver

can someone please explain the best way to purchase transportation between victoria and vancouver? i've visited the pacificcoach.com website and the bc ferries website but it looks quite confusing how to coordinate the timing of travel between the two. do they have a combo package? is coordinating everything a total hassle? we are taking a floatplane from seattle to victoria and thought we'd get the ferry "experience" from victoria to vancouver, but now i'm not so sure... i'd really appreciate any/all input.

WillTravel May 30th, 2004 05:33 PM

When you get on the Pacific Coach Line bus, it drives through the city and onto the ferry. You get off the bus on the lower level of the ferry and walk up to the main part of the ferry. Then when the ferry is about to dock, you are told to return to the bus. You then go to a lower level on the ferry and get on the bus (the same place you got off).

Sam_Salmon May 30th, 2004 05:36 PM

No worries none.
Purchase price of a bus ticket includes Ferry fare-busses run from downtown to downtown.

April May 30th, 2004 07:20 PM

It's not a hassle at all. Just go to the bus depot behind the Empress Hotel (by Victoria's Inner Harbour). Do check things out beforehand but I believe it works something like this:
Arrive at the bus depot about 20 minutes before the bus leaves and buy a ticket. If you wanted to catch the 5:00 pm ferry, then I believe you would catch a 4:00 bus, thus arriving at the bus depot at 3:40 or so. You don't reserve anything - just show up. The most confusing part might be figuring out which line-up to stand in outside at the back of the depot. Put any luggage, if you have luggage, beside the bus and they will load it into a locked compartment. Be sure to take out anything you might want for the ferry ride like a sweater, jacket, sunglasses, binoculars, camera, etc. Someone will open the bus door, you hand them your ticket as you get on, then sit back, relax and do nothing.

On the ferry, you will get off the bus and go to an upper deck. You can leave something on your seats if you want the same ones when you board again at the end of the ferry trip. (Usually passengers buy tickets right on the ferry so you can have some different people in the bus than when you started out.) The bus will be locked up during the ferry trip. Many people herd up to the cafeteria right away or grab the choice window seats. As a bus passenger you will likely be there before many of the car passengers. There is also a gift shop where you can buy books, magazines and candy. The most scenic part of the trip is at the beginning. Once you go through narrow Active Pass, where you feel like you can almost reach out and touch land, the trip is fairly boring.

Near the end of the trip, you will hear an announcement well before docking time telling you to return to your bus. Don't worry about missing it because eventually you will see mobs of people flocking down to the car decks. Now you are awfully glad you made note of the deck and especially the bus number because there will probably be several buses on the deck that look the same. In Vancouver, just get off and wait for them to unload the luggage compartments.

This is such an easy way to travel. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Meesthare May 31st, 2004 06:54 AM

As everybody else has pointed out, you don't need to coordinate the BC Ferries schedule with Pacific Coach; the bus company does that for you. No hassle involved and it's a great way to travel between the two cities.

sactomama May 31st, 2004 10:19 AM

thank you so much for resonding. i'm feeling more relaxed already! i thought i'd read a post that said that you'd better have advance reservations tickets during peak season or else you could be waiting around for hours trying to catch a ferry...? anything else we should know about, like the best place to sit for the best view, etc?

Meesthare May 31st, 2004 10:42 AM

Yes - advance reservation tickets are necessary for cars, during peak times. There are no problems with foot passengers or bus passengers.
The ferries are quite large and there are lots of places to sit. You can go outside on the two upper passenger decks and walk around, or sit if you prefer. It can get quite cool and windy unless you're right up against the side of the boat, so dress accordingly. There's a cafeteria, and a more upscale restaurant. As many times as we've done the ferry trips, we've never gone to the restaurant but we've had lots of meals in the cafeteria. A restaurant chain called White Spot does the catering and it's not bad at all - not gourmet by any means but still very good. There's a gift shop where you can buy souvenirs, books, and all kinds of other stuff. It's true that people like to grab the seats by the windows, but you can walk around and get your fill of the view. I like to sit outside if weather permits; there are big platforms that people sit on (I think they're used to store equipment or something like that) where you can get lots of sunshine and the wind doesn't blow on you. My sweetie grew up in Vancouver and is no longer impressed by the ferry ride; he prefers to sit comfortably inside with a good book.
You'll enjoy the adventure. Have a great trip!