Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > How to Plan a Layover in Vancouver for Cheap (San Francisco to Montreal)?
Notices

How to Plan a Layover in Vancouver for Cheap (San Francisco to Montreal)?

Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

How to Plan a Layover in Vancouver for Cheap (San Francisco to Montreal)?

Anybody who have worked in travel agencies or have extensive experience booking flights in North America, can you help me out?

I am trying to find the cheapest way to go from San Francisco (Or any other major California city) to Montreal via Vancouver in May. I was once told that if I have a ticket west coast-east coast or vice versa that goes through Vancouver, I can simply just change my layover from whatever amount of time (1h, 3h, 7h, whatever) to how ever many amount of days (like a week or two weeks later) without additional costs. I have done that once 4 years ago but don’t know if I can still do that or with which airline.

I was also wondering, if I have a flight ticket west coast to east coast with a layover any other city (like Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, whatever), I can have it go through Vancouver either for free or for a very small fee.

Anybody knows anything about this? With who I can do this? How?

I have tried using my usual tools (Skyscanner and Google Flights but doing a multi-city purchase is not the solution, it drives the costs up like crazy).
Feb 3rd, 2015, 08:57 AM

San Francisco is a long way due south from Vancouver. Any air route out of California across the continent east to Montreal goes nowhere near Vancouver, so you are unlikely to find an airline equivalent of hop on - hop off. You will not be "laying over", you will be taking two separate trips, and that is bound to cost you. North America has far fewer of the budget, single-leg airlines that Skyscanner turns up in Europe. There are plenty of North American search engines (Kayak covers a bunch) so you can shop for a cheaper promotion ticket. Or take a look at www.itasoftware.com which does not sell tickets but services many of the major carriers.
Feb 3rd, 2015, 09:30 AM

You could fly from California to Seattle on several airlines (Alaska and Southwest may have the cheapest fares) then you can travel to Vancouver by public transport.

Then book another flight Vancouver to Montreal.

But a stop over between California and Montreal . . . not on one ticket.

Search this Thread