Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused about VIA rail options - upper berth, cabin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

We're pricing out travel for two adults (a couple) from Vancouver east, and the options to Saskatoon are
Upper berth
Lower berth
Cabin for 1
Cabin for 2

I've read the descriptions and are still confused. What is the difference between getting one upper and one lower berth for us, or a cabin for 2? The cabin for 2 is much more expensive.
Old Dec 14th, 2014, 07:32 PM

Did you see this website? Basically the berths are in a public car with no private bathroom. The cabins are private roomettes with your own bathroom http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/cabin-two

http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/berths
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes I should have been clearer. I have been to the Via site and understand that upper and lower berths don't offer the privacy of a cabin. But for some of our travel dates, there are
"upper berth" and "lower berth" options , and for some dates there are "upper and lower berth" options in addition to the separate "upper " and "lower" options. And for some dates there are "cabin for 1" options which I assume if we got two of the we'd have separate cabins
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 06:20 PM

Hi newtome,

I've taken both the upper and lower berth a few times on the Canadian train (as well as twice on the Montreal-Halifax route when they had that option). At night the seats are pushed together and a mattress/blankets are put on which make up the lower berth; the upper berth is pulled out of the "ceiling" of the train...a ladder is needed to access the upper berth. A snap curtain separates the upper berth from the hallway. Although there are technically seats during the day, one can push the seats together to make a makeshift bed (the makeshift bed is the base of the lower berth) to nap on. It's kind of social in the berth area, as well as in the dining & dome car; I've enjoyed my experience every time. While the shower and bathroom are used by other sleeper car passengers, there have been in my experience relatively few people, so there's rarely if ever a wait to use the facilities. Note that for the berth area, the nearest plugs present are in the washroom to charge up your I-Phone, etc....

The lower berth & upper berth passengers mostly have the privileges of the other sleeper car passengers (meals included, access to the dome (with the sparkling wine and appetizers sendoff), games & bar car (with its included cookies, juices, fruit, newspapers, etc...), coffee/water provided.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip whatever you decide.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My trips on the Canadian (several) have all been in coach class.
I never got off in Saskatoon. My favorite stops are Jasper and Winnipeg starting from Vancouver. In October 2001 my first trip on ViaRail was from Toronto to Winnipeg.