Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   how long in jasper when arriving there by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/how-long-in-jasper-when-arriving-there-by-train-965289/)

syllandesq Feb 1st, 2013 02:38 PM

how long in jasper when arriving there by train

I am arriving in Jasper from Vancouver by train on a wednesday morning then flying out of Calgary on Sunday noon. Don't know how long to stay in Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff but have 3 and 1/2 days to split. Can you give me some help since we are taking this trip in reverse of everyone else?

sludick Feb 1st, 2013 03:31 PM

You could consider staying in Jasper Wednesday and Thursday nights, then in Banff Friday and Saturday nights. On Sunday morning you can head for the airport (allowing a couple of hours travel, it shouldn't take quite that long).

Will you have a car?

syllandesq Feb 2nd, 2013 02:59 PM

yes. I had planned to spend one night in Jasper, one at Lake Louise and then one or two in Banff. Trying to decide whether more to do in Jasper area and should stay there 2 nights then 1 lake louise and 1 Banff. I am confused about where the Columbia icefield is, thought it was closer to Jasper but it appears to be closer to banff? thanks for any more ideas

sludick Feb 2nd, 2013 04:10 PM

The Icefields is between Jasper and Lake Louise. It's a drive you should devote an entire day to, allowing for a stop at the Icefields. It's a gorgeous drive, and there are numerous places to stop for pictures and short hikes.

Lake Louise and Banff are close; you could stay in either one and cover the area (allow about 40 minutes or so between both). Which one you choose would depend on whether you want to be near shops & restaurants (Banff) or more emphasis on hikes, etc.

tomfuller Feb 2nd, 2013 09:59 PM

While in Jasper make sure to see Maigne Lake and the Maligne Canyon. I have stayed several times at the HI Hostel near the north end of the Icefield Highway about3 miles SW of Jasper.
I've never flown in Canada. I've ridden the train both ways from Jasper. It is a beautiful trip.

syllandesq Feb 3rd, 2013 02:32 AM

Thanks for info. I tried to get reservations for glacier view inn and they are sold out. know of any other B&Bs near glacier as that could be our extra night stopover before heading to lake louise. Very excited about trip we are starting in LA and ending in Calgary, mostly by train.

sludick Feb 3rd, 2013 04:26 AM

syllandesq, out of curiousity, what transportation are you using between Jasper - Lake Louise - Banff - Calgary?

tomfuller Feb 3rd, 2013 06:56 AM

I hope there is not a drop off fee for your rental car. The other option would be going with Brewster. http://www.brewster.ca/exploring-icefields-parkway.aspx
The Brewster counter is in the east half of the ViaRail station in Jasper.
There are several rental car agencies within walking distance of the train station. The one that I used had a limited number of km's and required me to return to them.

krp329 Feb 3rd, 2013 08:13 PM

What time of year are you travelling?

There are only four accommodations on the entire 235 km Icefields Parkway, and all are only open in the summer. From north (Jasper) to south: Sunwapta Falls Lodge (55 km from Jasper), Glacierview Inn (103 km), The Crossing "Resort" (about another 50 to 60 km) and then Num-ti-jah Lodge at Bow Lake, about 35 km north of Lake Louise. There are no private homes at all, so no B&Bs - it's national park wilderness on either side of the highway.

ltt Feb 5th, 2013 05:34 PM

knowing how you are getting from jasper to calgary would be important. as mentioned, a rental car with drop off fees will be pricey. i would recommend staying two nights in jasper, then, if don't have a rental car, use brewsters for the day trip between jasper and banff and spend whatever nights you have left in banff.

syllandesq Feb 6th, 2013 07:37 PM

I was planning on a rental car and yes there is a drop off charge, but it was going to be a total of $500 for 4 day rental with drop off so I thought I would just bite the bullit and have our freedom to tool around as we want. I will check brewster expense though - thanks.

syllandesq Feb 6th, 2013 07:40 PM

Traveling middle to end of May.

krp329 Feb 10th, 2013 07:49 PM

Was it over the long weekend that you enquired for the Glacierview Inn? (May 17 to 20)

syllandesq Feb 12th, 2013 10:11 AM

No, it was for one night on the 23rd. of May

krp329 Feb 23rd, 2013 10:35 AM

Hmmm, am surprised to hear that they are fully booked, especially since that is mid-week. However, they are a small accommodation (not very many rooms) and in an exclusive location.