Hotels in Victoria in September.

Jul 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Victoria in September.

We're spending one night in Victoria before heading to Vancouver for two more nights and a cruise to Alaska. Is the Empress Hotel worth the expense or are there other recommendations of hotels located right in town but more reasonably priced? We were looking at the Strathcona, but can't find too much outside of its own website.

Thanks
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM

My two favorites hotels in Victoria are the Laurel Point (specifically the south wing rooms) and the Magnolia.
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM

In answer to your question re the Empress - it isn't worth the expense. The Empress is lovely to walk through and have a drink or lunch in the Bengal lounge but it is very overpriced. The Grand Pacific Hotel is really lovely
http://www.hotelgrandpacific.com/
There are lots of good hotels that are very conveniently located here are a couple of websites for a couple of them.
http://www.qvhotel.com/
http://www.harbourtowers.com/index2.htm

Do not even consider the Strathcona!! I am sure the website makes it look good but it is very very noisy and is known for the bar and nightclub.

You could google Helm's Inn, the Royal Scot, The Executive House and the Inner Harbour Best Western is in a great spot and is a nice hotel
http://www.victoriabestwestern.com/

Enjoy your visit!!!
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM

We enjoyed the Hotel Magnolia (right around the corner from the Empress).
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM

The executve house is very good.Highly recomend it,stay there all the time.Stay away from the empress.
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM

If I was going to stay in Victoria I would choose Laurel Point. I like it's harbourside location and also admire the building that so tastefully fits in to its surroundings, unlike most structures around the harbour.

I wouldn't stay at the Strathcona.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. We checked all the websites and I think the Queen Victoria will work the best for us.
It's good to know that the Strathcona is noisy and the Empress is overpriced since those were the two suggested by the coach lines when we checked about taking a package that included the ferry trip. We're going to do it separately, bus, ferry, hotel and then express coach to Butchart Gardens. It saves a cancellation fee in case our plane is delayed arriving in Vancouver.
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Hi , other hotel suggestions would be . The grand pacific, the coast harborside, the Delta harborside, and the Laural point.
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM

We stayed at the newly built Marriott behind the Empress a few weeks a go and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and attentive. We loved the location.
Jul 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM

another vote for the marriott. my parents always stay there when visiting. chateau victoria and swan's r also very nice.
cheers
AndrewDavid