hotels in Vancouver, Victoria, Tofino

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip for my husband and I to leave in 2 weeks so there's not much time to plan! Will fly to Seattle, and drive to Vancouver, Victoria, and maybe Tofino. Is there any problem finding hotels so late - are most moderately priced hotels booked up? I may not make reservations at hotels for all the nights so that we can decide along the way where we want to go. We'll be up there for 7 days. Are we taking a chance that we won't have a hotel room if we do it that way? We are mostly interested in taking in the best sights this go-round, with maybe one kayaking venture. Any comments are appreciated!
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Yes, you'd definitely be taking a chance as late July is peak season. Maybe not so much in Victoria or Vancouver as there is more supply, especially this year with the economy, but you definitely want to book Tofino in advance.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 06:47 AM
ltt

tofino is usually pretty full - 7 days isn't really enough time to see all three places
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. We may be able to spend 3 more days. We don't have to stay in Tofino - are there many roadside places to stay in the surrounding area?
We are looking to hit the highlights of these areas, moving fairly quickly through.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM

There really isn't a "surrounding area". Tofino is on a peninsula reached by a remote road through the mountains, about 2 hours from the next closest town (Port Alberni). Ucluelet is the town at the other end of the peninsula, and in between the two towns is Pacific Rim National Park which is undeveloped. So no, not a lot of roadside places. If you're going out there, you want to have reservations to avoid having to get right back on that mountain road if everything is booked.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM

You don't have to stay right in the the village of Tofino, which is really tiny - but there are plenty of hotels and resorts located off the highway between Tofino and Ucluelet. Most accommodation is located there anyway.

NWWanderer's right though - you basically have 2 choices: accommodation in and around Tofino, and accommodation in and around Ucluelet. Both towns are about a 30 minute drive away from each other. Pacific Rim National Park is located smack dab in the middle in between them. It's truly an extraordinary location.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM

I would agree Tofino in July and August is full. Ucluelet is fast becoming a popular destination as well. The snug harbor inn is a great place there, Sue and her husband are wonderful hosts and make wonderful breakfasts. In tofino we have always stayed at the middle beach lodge.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM

if you have problems finding accommodations try
http://www.aviawest.com/destinations...et-pacific-rim
Waters Edge Resort (formally known as Tauca lea by the sea)
They are under new management and may not be full this summer yet
It is a resort with one or two bedroom condos in Ucluelet on the harbor.
another new one in Ucluelet is Black Rock which is a full service hotel on the oceans edge.
Best Western Tin Wis in on mckenzie beach in Tofino and may have rooms too as they are the only ones that I know of who will rent for one night stays. As mentioned July August is very busy and I have seen many times people show up and spend all day at the tourist bureau looking for rooms only to have to drive back to Port Alberni because there are none.

It sounds like you want to make the best of your time so having a reservations before hand will certainly allow more time for sight seeing.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM

We returned last week from Tofino-Uclulet and stayed at Tin Wis-I am sorry I did not stay at the new hotel in Ucluelet -beautiful hotel by Pacific Rim Park.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Layashana I think you mean the new hotel by the Wild Pacific Trail (Black Rock) The Pacific Rim Park is the Long Beach area (closer to Tofino) and the Broken Islands which can be seen from Ucluelet.

I am glad you had a good stay. Are you going to do a trip report?