Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Hotels in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/hotels-in-july-767129/)

dustqueen Feb 12th, 2009 05:49 AM

Hotels in July

My husband and I will be traveling the 1st week of July....there are so many hotels to choose from...need HELP making a decision...the Fairmont in Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff are top choices in Fodor's and Frommer's Would love some confirmation on these before I book. Where should I go first...driving from Calgary and have 6 days. Thanks to all.

SallyCanuck Feb 12th, 2009 06:20 AM

Just a hint: these places are in Alberta, not BC.

haphol Feb 12th, 2009 08:25 AM

Hi!

Lucky you, you are going to a very nice part of our province. How are you planning on dividing up your time? Mostly in one area or between the Banff, Jasper areas? How much of your budget did you want to spend on accommodation or doesn't it matter?

In regards to the Fairmont properties, I have personally only stayed at the one in Jasper. We had one of their duplex like cabins, which was very nice.Those that were in the regular rooms weren't so impressed. The grounds are beautiful,nice walking around the lake, etc. However, we were there in October, so we had off season/conference rates. I myself would not pay for what they would charge in high season.

I have only toured thru the one in Banff. Again it was o.k. but others I have spoken with do not think it's worth the $$$$.

That said, it depends what you are looking for. The properties are old and do have the "old money mountain ambiance" if that's what you like.

I myself like new things that are modern and clean. There is a busy smaller town called Canmore about 20 minutes this side of Banff(coming from Calgary)that is very nice.Lots of little shops, a couple golf courses, hiking, etc. Some top-notch restaurants. We recently stayed at the Blackstone lodge which is a new property there. Very enjoyable. There are reviews on it on trip advisor. Trip advisor would probably be your best bet for accommodation advice on all the properties you are inquiring about.

dfr4848 Feb 12th, 2009 12:07 PM

We've stayed at both Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and loved both. Yes they're older properties, but have that "old world" feel.

We had a room that was very nicely decorated on the back side at Banff Springs which had spectacular views as are the views from the main public areas. We have heard that some rooms could use some renovating, so you might ask for rooms which have been recently refurbished. It was an easy walk into town. It is of course a large property, but we didn't think that was a disadvantage and thoroughly enjoyed our experience.

At Jasper Lake, we had one of the outbuildings that had 3 bedrooms with a LR (vaulted ceiling) and DR since we had 7 family members on that trip. Guess you could call it rustic elegance - was very well done but extremely comfortable. As previously mentioned the grounds were very nice and made for great walks. Thought the food and service were excellent.

For several years my folks rented a condo in Canmore, which haphol mentioned, for the month of July. Newer properties and nicely equipped. Just an option.

dfr4848 Feb 12th, 2009 12:08 PM

"Jasper Lake" obviously should've have been "Jasper Park". Sorry, didn't proof well enough.

queenmandy85 Feb 14th, 2009 07:25 AM

Just a note to keep in mind, the fisrt week in July is one of the busiest times of the year and hotels book up fast. It includes Canada Day (I still prefer Dominion Day) and the US holiday.

laverendrye Feb 14th, 2009 08:18 AM

"Just a hint: these places are in Alberta, not BC."

Well it appears that even the Governor-General needs a geography lesson. She thought that you could see the Rockies from Vancouver!

http://tinyurl.com/d7opzl

LindainOhio Feb 15th, 2009 05:15 AM

We have not stayed at any of the Fairmonts but most people love them so take these suggestions with that in mind.

I think the Banff Springs is beautiful and would plan on staying there the first or last 2 nts.

Then I would drive the Icefields Parkway to Jasper and stay 2 nts at Jasper Park Lodge--another spectacular setting. I love the Alpine Village cabins but they have a 3 nt minimum. The Grove at Patricia Lake is also very nice.

Then I would drive back down to Lake Louise/Banff and spend the last 2 nts.

The location of Chateau Lake Louise is spectacular but I would prefer to stay at Moraine Lake Lodge or maybe even the Post Hotel--have not stayed at either. I have stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge when we couldn't get reservations in Lake Louise. I love that place. If money was no object, I would get one of the cabins there on the water.

Click on my name for my trip report from last Sept.