Hotel for family of five in Vancouver.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had our first visit to Vancouver in January after a week at Big White. We really like Vancouver and loved Big White so we are going back in January next year. We want to spend another couple of days in Vancouver on the way to Big White(to buy some new ski gear). We stayed at Rosedale on Robson and whilst it was OK we want to stay a bit closer to the shopping !!! Any recommendations, we normally do the double and triple room thing !
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:53 AM

For some reason their website is not working at the moment, but you might consider the Carmana Plaza. They have 2 bedroom furnished condos that could sleep 5 and they are very central to Robson shopping. Each has a kitchen.

For some reason, their website isn't working for me this morning but it is at www.carmanaplaza.com.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Hi Marko,

My personal absolute fave hotel in Vancouver is the Pacific Palisades on the corner of Jervis and Robson. Lots and lots of shopping and dining nearby. Walking distance to the Coal Harbour waterfront, Robson Market and Stanley Park, grocery stores, liquor stores and car rental places. Good pool and hot tub.

This place is my home away from home when I visit Vancouver. I wouldn't even consider staying anyplace else. There are newer, posher places around but this place has the most awesome staff and friendly attitude of anyplace I've ever stayed in a large city. Pet-friendly too. (Any size or type - so we will be bringing our Berner out the nxt time we visit). There's a pet feeding station in the lobby and Ken (one of the staff) often brings his one-eyed, black rescue cocker spaniel to work and she serves as official greeter in the lobby, complete with her red-feather boa around her neck. Free happy hour wine-tasting at 5 PM each evening (usually high-level "plonk", but with great chit-chat). Again, I have to repeat, awesome friendly staff. And - if you are lucky - apparently the odd chance to glimpse a celeb or two. I understand from my daughter (who's in the hair biz in Van) that Kelly Osborne stays there when she's in town and on my last trip, Jeff Bridges came thru the lobby in the morning with his morning paper and spilled his take-out Starbucks on the lobby floor just like us mortal folk - LOL.

You don't say what ages and sexes your young-uns are, but a good choice would be to take a 1 bedroom suite and a double room side by side. Or a suite and 2 rooms.

There are coffee makers, microwave, fridge, mini-bar, iron and board and 2 comfy bathrobes in each room.

My last trip to Vancouver was on business (with 4 other folk). I insisted to the secretary that was making trip arrangements that I would stay no place else. I would be happy to meet up at breakfast anywhere the others chose to stay, but it was the PP for me. The other 4 decided to stay there as well. They are now 4 converts and absolutely adore the Pacific Palisades!

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys !!
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Marko: Tell us more about your time at Big White!
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

We had a great time, too short ! We are fixing that by going back again in Jan 07 !! The Bullet Creek Cabins were very comfortable, plenty of room and easy access to lifts. The hot tub on the deck copped a good workout each afternoon ! It is so handy keeping your beer cold right next to your tub ! We were really spoilt by the quality and amount of snow ! Lift lines during the week were minimal, a few more on the weekend when the locals arrived. (half their luck to have this mountain so close !) We found the costs of lunches and snacks to be cheap compared to Australia. The staff are super friendly and about half of them aussies! Hire gear was good quality and the process was easier than Australia. We had a few cloudy (white outs !) but they were few and far between, most of the time magnificent and not as cold as we were led to believe ! Overall, VERY impressed and as I said we are coming back for longer in January! Hey, I even like the Beer !