Hopewell Rocks or NS side for Bay of Fundy/Tidal Bore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm narrowing down my itinerary. The tides are creating a bit of a problem with timing. My current plan is listed below. It's fitting in the tidal bore ride that is creating my challenge. Should I head straight to Truro from Cape Breton, do the tidal bore and spend the night? Or perhaps the NS side of the Bay of Fundy is comparable to the Hopewell Rocks and I should head straight there from Moncton? Or maybe riding the tidal bore is overrated and I should skip it? Help on these questions (and any other help you have) would be much appreciated!
Day 1 - arrive Moncton at noon; high tide at Hopewell Rocks in the late afternoon. Staying at Hopewell Rocks Motel
Day 2 - Morning low tide at Hopewell Rocks then drive to Keltic Lodge (I know this will be a long drive - any idea how long?)
Day 3, 4, 5 - Cabot Trail & Lousibourg - whale watching recommendations appreciated. We'll either go from Pleasant Bay or Ingonish.
Day 6/7/8 - Drive to Halifax. One day we will go to Truro to ride the title bore.
Day 9 - fly home.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Well, the tidal bore I saw at Truro was just that, a big bore! I was prepared for something special. Big parking lot, lighted area, people gathering. Then a little ripple came up the creek.

I suggest the Hopewell side for the tides.
There are stairs to help you down to the sandy bottom. You can descend at mid tide and feel the water come in if you like to wade. Just be prepared to stay close to your escape route because a 35 foot tide is rising about a yard an hour or a foot every 20 minutes.

I think you can make the drive you describe to the Keltic Lodge in half a day. The distance is not all that far.

Louisbourg is not to be missed. History from the losers side for a change. You get a different perspective.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
wow

Moncton to Keltic Lodge: At least 6 hours
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:26 AM

I would skip the tidal bore in Truro. From Moncton to the Canso Causeway (entry point to Cape Breton Island) you are about 3-4 hours depending on traffic and construction. It is divided highway until you reach New Glasgow and then two-way traffic the remainder. I would suggest you spend the night in Baddeck, relax and enjoy the Bras d'or Lakes before heading out on the Trail the next day. You could stay that night at the Keltic Lodge and then the next day complete the Trail with whale watching at Pleasant Bay. Pleasant Bay has a whale interpretation centre as well as several operators that will take you out whale watching. We simply watched the whales frolic in the ocean from the lookoff above Pleasant Bay - don't forget your binocs!

If you want a couple of choices besides Truro for the night, I would recommend either spending a night in Pictou or head towards Liscome Lodge for an evening.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM
ltt

i've read many people say the tidal bore is not worth it. i loved pictou and would recommend a night in that area. there is a very nice beach at the caribou/munroes provincial park which is right by pictou. great place to relax and watch the ferries come over from pei. warm water.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM

I replied to your other thread just now.

I'm glad to see that you're doing your homework and are in the same mindframe that I am.

As to the tidal bore, view it at Moncton, and I don't think you need to river-raft it to gain anything more.

My first tidal bore viewing had me out on bleachers, on the riverbanks, at about 11:00pm with a full moon illuminating everything from the opposite side of the river.

It isn't "spectacular"... but it makes young minds THINK a little bit... and that is good.

You imply more time here than your other post hinted at.

Maybe there is hope for some of your other wishes after all.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. It's a great help to in organizing all the info! Other insights, suggestions are most welcome!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Should I stop for a night between Bay of Fundy and Keltic Lodge? A friend was lamenting that I wouldn't be able to hear Celic music if I pusch all the way through. What do you think?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

make that Celtic music if I push thru!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Check out www.redshoepub.com
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM

We were in Truro in June for the tidal bore and saw nothing. It wasn't even a small ripple. You can probably use the time better elsewhere.