Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Honeymoon in Newfoundland & Labrador (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/honeymoon-in-newfoundland-and-labrador-920351/)

agagecroll Jan 19th, 2012 05:34 AM

Honeymoon in Newfoundland & Labrador

Hello out there. We're planning a honeymoon in Newfoundland & possible Labrador. We live in western Maine and will be driving to Nova Scotia & taking the ferry over the Newfoundland. We're looking at the western side, particularly the Gros Morne National park. I was hoping I could get some input from folks who've been here about some must see and must stay places.

We're two teachers on a budget and we plan on doing some camping as well as staying at a few hotels/B&Bs. We want to spend a lot of time outdoors and see the local flora & fauna, as well as the culture. A few days in a city/small town or two would be nice. We're planning on taking up to two weeks for this trip. Any thoughts?

eliztravels Jan 19th, 2012 06:06 AM

Congratulations on a great choice for your vacation. Hard to think why any outdoor lovers would not enjoy Newfoundland. By all means plan to camp in Gros Morne as it is the best way to get the feel for the place, but do come prepared for all kinds of weather. It can be beautifully sunny or wet and cold, and nights will be chilly even in July and August. Like most of our national parks, it has wonderful hiking trails and excellent interpretative programs but it is a large park, so expect to drive from site to site.

I would also highly recommend L'Anse Aux Meadows historic site on the tip of the northern peninsula. A reconstruction of what is probably the earliest European settlement in North America, it is superbly done and well worth the drive. You may also be able to go whale watching there, and perhaps see an iceberg.

eliztravels Jan 19th, 2012 06:19 AM

For camping after you get off the ferry at Port-Aux-Basques I suggest Barachois Pond Provincial park. There is a nice little swimming beach, and a hike to a high lookout that you can do in a morning.

I've only been to Labrador for 24 hours when we took the ferry across many years back. Lots and lots of empty space and a sub-arctic environment, as I recall.

Enroute in Nova Scotia a stay in Baddeck is worth considering and if time allows and weather cooperates , a visit to Cape Breton Highlands national park and a drive around the Cabot trail should be on your itinerary.

For information on national parks: www.pc.gc.ca. I believe they will mail you there information booklets which are quite well done.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 26th, 2012 06:25 PM

I haven't any advice. I just want to say happy it makes me to see a couple plan a honeymoon in the North.

Andy_Hay Jan 30th, 2012 01:59 PM

My wife and I did the Avalon Peninsula last August,unfortunately it was pretty bad weather the whole week but enjoyed our visit despite that. One word of caution. If you are in St. Johns and looking for a bite to eat STAY CLEAR of BRIDIE MOLLOYS PUB. We had the worst Lobster I have ever had in my entire 57 years on this planet. I should have sent it back but... anyway tables were dirty, service not that great, there are many other wonderful spots.

Have a wonderful trip :-)

katrinasl Mar 6th, 2012 07:16 PM

Hi, Not sure if you are thinking tent camping or vehicle camping. We have a van so you can pull over pretty much wherever you want as long as you do not bother anyone and pick up after yourself. There are several camp grounds in Gros Morne NP on both sides of the bay. The southern side is the quieter side. I like the camp ground near Trout River Pond. If you are into hiking at all and tent camping there are wonderful primitive campsites along the Green Garden Trail. There is also camping in Shallow Bay up in Cowhead. The beach there is fairly nice and it is near Western Brook Pond and the even nicer beach near there. Up near L'ance aux Meadows we did some van camping and just found beautiful places to pull over. We woke up to some incredible views. As for small towns, I personally love Woody Point. There is camping near there plus two b&bs in town and a motel outside of town. Get a hold of the Newfoundland and Travel Guide - it has a wealth of information....

laverendrye Mar 7th, 2012 05:43 AM

When you visit the Northern Peninsula and l'Anse aux Meadows, I highly recommend the Tickle Inn at Cape Onion. This is a very special place with wonderful hosts. I've stayed there twice and would certainly do so again if I were ever in the area. Last time there we could sit in front and watch humpback whales in the bay not more than 500m off shore. Great hiking along the cliffs and warm hospitality. If you want to stay there reserve soon as it fills up quickly. Stay there for at least a couple of nights.

Also in the northern peninsula Northern Discovery Boat Tours from St. Anthony is one of the best boat tours I have taken in Newfoundland--in July you should have no problem seeing lots of whales and icebergs with them.

You mentioned that you were interested in flora and fauna--for flora take a guided tour of the Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve near the top of the peninsula, where you will find many rare arctic plants, especially in July.

http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/parks/wer/r_bce/index.html

In Gros Morne Park you might want to split your stay by staying a few nights on each side of Bonne Bay, as it can be a long drive around. On the south side, Woody Point is a pretty village and I've stayed there at Aunt Jane's Place--a simple but very comfortable B&B. On the north side, there's a wide range of accommodation in Rocky Harbour and Norris Point from upscale inns to simple cabins. Try to catch a performance of the group Anchors Aweigh who perform several nights a week at Anchor's Pub in Rocky Harbour.

You can find lots of information on hiking and other attractions in Gros Morne Park on the Parks Canada website. Of course you won't want to miss a boat trip on Western Brook Pond.

Here's a good article on the area by the Canadian novelist Lawrence Hill:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...2114463/page1/

I could make recommendations for other parts of Newfoundland, but I think with two weeks including travel time, you will find more than enough in Western Newfoundland.