Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Honeymoon Ideas: Victoria and/or Canadian Rockies (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/honeymoon-ideas-victoria-and-or-canadian-rockies-385298/)

Bradamante Dec 30th, 2003 02:11 PM

Honeymoon Ideas: Victoria and/or Canadian Rockies

We are just beginning to make plans for our honeymoon in the middle of July and would appreciate any ideas you have for a 14 day or so honeymoon in Victoria and/or the Canadian Rockies. We like the idea of bed and breakfasts and independent off the path places, but are game for just about anything. We have a pretty decent, but not extravagant budget, so we would appreciate any ideas you might have to share.

Would you recommend honeymooning in either place?

Any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, things to do?

Any itinerary ideas?

We are not really travelers and are a bit stumpted as to where to begin. Thanks a lot!

Gavin Dec 30th, 2003 03:08 PM

I would never consider mixing Victoria with the Rockies. It's just too much driving for my tastes. Your idea of a good time might involve a lot of driving through great mountain scenery. That said my advice is to choose between spending your time in Victoria and the rest of Vancouver Island and the Rockies. I also consider Vancouver well worth spending some time in and it would combine well with Vancouver Island since you might be flying into Vancouver anyway.

I will leave it for others to describe the relative merits of the two areas.

Judy_in_Calgary Dec 30th, 2003 08:03 PM

I live near the Rocky Mountains, and I love the Rockies, but I vote for the British Columbia coast for a two week honeymoon.

One of the beauties of Vancouver is that it's one of those fortunate cities where mountains and sea are juxtaposed. You have the best of both worlds right there. The ski resort of Whistler, which is nice in summer too, is nearby.

Vancouver Island also is lovely, as indeed are the neighbouring islands.

There are so many different ways you could split your time. If I was doing it, I would spend maybe three days in the vibrant city of Vancouver, two or three days in the smaller, cute city of Victoria on Vancouver Island, and the rest of the time far away from the madding crowd, either in a remote part of Vancouver Island or on one of the other islands.

Cruiseryyc Dec 31st, 2003 05:14 AM

It might help to know where you are coming from, what kind of scenary you are used to, etc. I have ties to both Victoria and Calgary so I can't really choose between the two. However, Victoria and Vancouver Island are full of lovely B&B's, plus wonderful resorts that would make a perfect honeymoon spot. Sooke Harbour House, The Aerie, Wickinish Inn at Long Beach. Then again the Rockies have lots of great places too. In mid July both places will be full of tourists, although Vancouver Island might be a bit quieter than the Banff/Lake Louise area.

ltt Jan 6th, 2004 09:43 AM

both areas are fabulous. if you choose to stay on the island, be sure to include several days in tofino - it's beautiful.