Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Canada by plane from the USA, can 2 adults and children get in without passports and birth certificates?

Search

Arriving in Canada by plane from the USA, can 2 adults and children get in without passports and birth certificates?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Guy

Our family, Mom and Dad and two children 9 and 6 years old are flying into Calgary Canada from the USA. (We are all American citizens). None of us have passports, and I can not find the orginal birth certificates.<BR><BR>Will it be difficult to get through the airport, rent a car or check into a hotel in Canada?<BR><BR>We are leaving in three days.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM
traveller

This has been covered many times but here goes again. You must clear customs at the Calgary airport. Airport customs tend to be less "forgiving" than those at land crossings.<BR><BR>A passport is not necessary but proof of citizenship is as well proof that the children are your own. I would suggest that you scramble about and find those birth certificates.<BR><BR>I have always found the Calgary immigration service to be quite formal on both sides. I have had more trouble crossing into the US from Canada through the airport because I am a dual citizen, living in Alberta but I only carry a Cdn. passport, not a US one as well. However, that is a different problem.<BR><BR>Renting a car, checking into a hotel will not present a problem.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Bob Brown

I think you are asking the question with the wrong emphasis. You might be able to talk your way into Canada without the proper documentation, but even if you do, you will be in for a devil of a time tring to get back into the US without a passport or a birth certificate supported by a photo ID.<BR> <BR>If you are flying home from Calgary, you will clear US Immigration and Customs at the Calgary airport before departure.<BR>From the ticket counter you go to Immigration Control. From there you go past a customs official, and then you proceed to a secure waiting area until your flight leaves. There are shops and food providers in the area, but you are essentially in limbo until you get to your airport destination.<BR><BR>When I flew home on July 17th from Calgary, I was asked for my passport 3 times before boarding my flight. I was not asked for my birth certificate, I was not asked for my driver's licence, I was not asked for any other form of identification. I was asked specifically for my passport.<BR>I do not know what would have happened had I not had it. I didn't ask.<BR><BR>Technically and legally you don't need a passport per se to come back to the USA from Canada. But the post 9/11 world is a little irrational with some strange practices in effect at border crossings. At highway crossings, of which I recently experienced 6, 3 each way, I was asked by US border officials for a photo ID and my birth certificate or my passport. Having my passport, I simply showed it. Even then I was questioned for several minutes. Nothing officious, but in view of the fact that I had THE document, I was surprised at the number of questions I got. I could not tell how in the world the official could have determined from my answers to his questions if my passport was a fake. <BR><BR>The Canadian officials at highway crossings asked my the usual questions about firearms, liquor, and tobacco, but they asked for no documents. When the officials were satisfied with my answers, which I gave with my sunglasses removed, they wished me a good trip and waved me on. <BR><BR>Bear in mind, too, that for years there have been two sets of de facto procedures for re-entering the USA from Canada. One set of procedures applied to highway crossings, and another set applied to airport entry stations. Even 10 years ago, the airport officials were much more stringent and thorough, even testy upon occasion if you did not have adequate documentation. <BR>One friend of mine, an MD whose father is Navajo, went to a convention in Vancouver. She took nothing along except her driver's license, and work ID card. On returning, she was delayed and questioned intensely for a while. As I recall her story, she was not released until an Immigration official called her employer and verified she was who she said she was.<BR><BR>The car rental and hotel people could care less about a passport, as long as you have a major credit card -- and a driver's license for the car of course. Without a credit card I doubt very much if you could drive away in a rental car, and the hotel people might well ask for a cash deposit. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Bean

That's funny. Whenever I cross at the Windsor/Detroit border I have a harder time getting back into Canada than I do getting in to the USA. Going to Detroit they ask me where I am going blah, blah, blah but coming home they ask me for my birth certificate and my drivers licence (photo ID) everytime. Just my experience...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Justine

I have the same question. The Canadian embassy web page says that you need a Photo ID and original birth certificate<BR>but kids don't drive. Are they expected to show a photo ID?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Can't feel sorry

for someone/anyone/of whatever nationality, who, in this day and age, waits until 3 days before departure to ask this question...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Jake

I think your first challenge will be at your departure airport in the US. If you don't have satisfactory documentation, the airline may be loathe to transport you since it will be responsible for your return should Canadian immigration choose not to admit you.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Howard

What if you have chidren in their early teens, do they need picture ID along with their drivers license to get in and out of Canada?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:09 PM
WHAT??

In the post 9/11 world, entry and return isn't as easy as it was before. However, at no time has it been as lax as you seem to think. <BR><BR>Is this trip a last minute deal or something??<BR><BR>I can't believe anyone would be asking this question three days before departure. Do you think just because you are an American you can do what you want in a foreign country?<BR><BR>Just when I think I've heard something so ridiculous along comes another ....<BR><BR>Good luck, cause you really need it.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Bob Brown

Jake raises a first class point with his comment on the airlines asking for ID. <BR>My wife tells me that we had to show ID in Atlanta when we boarded the flight for Calgary via Minneapolis. <BR>I totally forgot about it because I am so used to showing ID everytime I get on an airplane.<BR><BR>We showed our passports.<BR><BR>Had we not had them, I am not sure what would have happened.<BR><BR>A driver's license is just a convenience. Any government issued photo ID will do. I have at times used my employment ID card because it is from a government agency. I am not sure what minor children do. I haven't had one who did not have a passport since 1975.<BR><BR>I think my son took school ID's when he and his two boys went to Canada last year, but that was pre 9/11.<BR>But he did have a letter from the other parent.<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 02:37 AM
P

I will be going to Canada in two weeks and have the problem of a photo ID. I have my birth cert and my driver license but it doesn't have my picture on it. I went to TWO motor vechiles yesterday to get a photo taked and the lines were about 5 hours long!! Not kidding! The only other photo I have is a BJ's card from a store. Would that do? I also have voter reg. card and soc sec. card. Where else could I get a phot ID besides motor vehicle in time to go?????

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Tom

Requirements are more strictly enforced at airports than at road crossings. Without proper identification, you may be denied entry. It would be positively silly to get on the plane without it. As someone above mentioned, your larger concern should be getting back into the USA. Without proper proof of citizenship, you will be delayed, perhaps until you can provide same. To leave home without it is positively foolish. "Difficult" does not begin to describe the consequences. <BR><BR>For P: If a photo ID is required along the way and you don't have one, you'll have to turn around. I sincerely doubt the lines were really 5 hours long, but 5 hours is a LOT less time that you'll spend NOT having it.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Marie

FIND those birth certificates! You may or may not be allowed past the airport upon arrival, but you definitely won't be allowed to travel home without proper proof of citizenship.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:41 AM
P

YES the lines WERE FIVE hours long at motor vechile! Anyone know where ELSE you can get a photo ID done? Also I don't think anyone answered the question about kids having a photo ID .

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Lester

How come no one is answering the basic question about the neeed for PHOTO ID's for the kids, ages 10 and 6?<BR><BR>Nothing on the web pages I have visited.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:10 AM
DianeG

Point missed.<BR><BR>The issue is not photo ID, kids or adults.<BR><BR>The point is that in a country where passports are easily obtained and FREELY given (for a relatively small fee), why oh why not have a valid passport at ALL TIMES??<BR><BR>Especially since we like to travel beyond our borders and that travel, of itself, is certainly not free (not dollar-wise, not regulations-wise).<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 02:44 PM
anon

Amen!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Bob Brown

Well, don't try making one yourself!!<BR>The requirement is for a government issued ID. <BR>I did not answer about children and ID's for the simple fact I don't know.<BR>My son crossed last year by car with his two boys, but that was pre 9/11.<BR>No border official, American or Canadian asked for any kind of document.<BR>He had birth certificates and school ID's just in case. <BR><BR>I think that the current situation indicates that we are close to having national ID cards.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 01:59 AM
gail

I will also try to sort this out for you.<BR><BR>First, for drivers, the reason some people give you different answers is that land crossings use a more random approach to documentation proof - but you shouild have it just in case.<BR><BR>Second, since I know you are flying, the airline will probably not let you fly out of US without documentation that will get you back INTO US.<BR><BR>And that would be proof of citizenship or document that proves you are legally allowed in US (like Green card, visa, etc.) That is why birth certificates work. When the US govt issues you passport, they want to see birth certificate - so even an expedited passport is not an option for you.<BR><BR>The only choice you have (and now it is probably too late) is to contact place of birth for all 4 of you and see if you can pay a lot for emergency birth certificate re-issue.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Jerry

So can a kid get a state ID card that is offical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -