Hiking in the Canadian Rockies??

Aug 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies??

My fiancé and I would like to do a hike, if at all possible, in order to watch the sunrise/sunset when we get to the top. We would like to keep the hike to no more than 5 miles total (8 km or so). Any suggestions? Also, are there any kind of lights along the way or is it completely dark? Would you suggest hiking shoes/boots for a hike like this or regular ole’ athletic shoes?

thank you
Aug 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM

No lights that I have seen.
Where is it that you plan on getting to the top?
What you wear is a function of where you go.
I recommend a light weight boot with a hard toe and ankle protection.
Easy to stumble over a rock with your toe and easy to twist an ankle on a rocky trail.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:34 AM

Your plans sound very risky to me. I do not recommend to hike in the mountains during night. The mountains are very high in Banff & Jasper and most human activities are limited the small villages in the valley's. Think about the bear activities in the early evening and other nature hazards.

You can use the tramways (i.e. in Japser - www.jaspertramway.com - they offer trips until 10:00 pm or Banff - www.banffgondola.com - which operates until 9:00 pm). They offer smooth adventures for non-experienced visitors.

I do not recommend to hike without hiking shoes on the alpine trails.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:43 AM

Tom is giving you very wise counsel. Good hiking boots are a worthwhile investment and not necessarily very expensive. I have a wide range of them, since I hike daily. One inexpensive day hiker is from Lands End for under $50.
In the Banff area we drove up to the Hoodoos for a sunset walk on a paved area. Great views back to town and pretty sunset.
Don't be on the trail after dark.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:10 AM

Here's a suggestion: go to Golden B.C. and take the gondola at the Kicking Horse resort to the top, where you can have a nice dinner at the Eagle's Eye restaurant as you watch the sun set. If you want to see the sun rise at the top of the mountain, you can stay in one of their two suites, but be prepared to pay big bucks for that experience.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:12 PM

Please read the article in the LA Times first and consider that you have a long way to go to be at the apex of the food chain before setting out into the wilderness. The decision to carry a weapon is a pretty simple one to make. The women in BC last week who fought off a couger attacking her daughter with a beer cooler could have quickly been resolved.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/outdoo...&track=hppromo
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:39 AM

Hate to break to you HogtownJim but carrying "weapons" in Canada is illegal. Also in a National Park the wildlife is protected, yes they have more rights than humans as it's their homes we are invading.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM

What choice of weapon to carry depends on where you are hiking. You can at least carry a knife or an axe or bear repellent.
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM

You are going to chop or stab the bear?
I don't ever think I have seen anyone walking a trail carrying an ax out there, except for a forestry crew that was clearing the trail. They mainly used chain saws for cutting and used the axes for a little limb lopping.

Aug 4th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Well ok -- a Glock 17 on full auto would do the job...

In all seriousness, without something to protect yourself, there is no last line of defence. You are dinner. The cougar attacking a mothers daughter last week was beat off with a beer cooler turned weapon as she smacked the cat repeatedly with it. Without the beer cooler, the consequences would have been different.

A lot of urban types walk in the wilderness thinking it's a larger version of Toronto's ravine trails except there is no nearby Starbucks.

Humans lack the weaponary other animals are endowed with - no sharp claws or teeth or massive weight. It is with our large brains that we learned to make weapons and with them we have over over eons of time instilled fear in other animals and made it to the Apex of the food chain. And in the course of time, man came to dominate and shape the planet.

Without weapons, we are just a notch above a racoon in terms of lethality...

If you wish to walk the wilderness under the illusion that every animal is a warm, cudley understanding being, which will leave you alone then so be it...

By the way, a bull moose is apparently rated #2 after a grizzly as the most dangerous animal in the forest...
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:21 AM

All philosophizing aside, I like laverendrye's gondola idea. agajra, check out this link for the restaurant at the top: http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/wi...eeye/index.asp