Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Help with Toronto with Kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/help-with-toronto-with-kids-832738/)

rdpesq Mar 25th, 2010 04:04 PM

Help with Toronto with Kids

I will be in Toronto for a conference in mid August and decided to bring the family. We will be staying at The Sheraton Centre Toronto, where the conference will be held. My kids are 8 and 5 and have been fortunate enough to travel quite a bit. For the longest time, their favorite place was Vancouver, Canada. Because they enjoyed their time "up north," (we are from southern California,) I thought it would be a good idea to introduce them to other areas in Canada. A couple of years ago I was in Toronto (Mississaugua) on business and enjoyed myself, though I was just there for a couple of days.

We have a week to 12 days to spend in the area, inclusive of my 2 1/2 day conference. We thought that we would spend 4 to 5 days in Toronto. Kids also want to go to Niagara Falls so we thought we would either (1) take a day trip or (2) spend a night. Any suggestions/recommendation in that regard. A friend of ours recommended Muskoka Lakes. We are researching it but would appreciate any advice. Since we will be in the City for a week, it would be nice to get out of the City and get to a place where the kids can swim and run around.

If we do not go to Muskoka Lakes, we planned to either fly to NYC and spend three (3) days or fly to Chicago and spend (3) days before heading back.

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks a million.

goddesstogo Mar 25th, 2010 05:50 PM

I've never been there, but my friends have taken their kids to Clevelands House for many years. I can't tell you where it is (I hate leaving the city and try never to go 'up north') but you can google it.

rdpesq Mar 25th, 2010 07:01 PM

Thanks . . . I will Google Clevelands House. Appreciate the suggestion.

garyt22 Mar 25th, 2010 07:47 PM

If you come to the Falls, check out Great Wolf Lodge for the kids... You can stay there for the waterpark and side trip to see the Falls... theres also a Bird Aviary and Butterfly Conservatory as well as the Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds(US side)... a walk up Clifton Hill for ice cream and mini-golf as well as some kiddie rides would make their trip complete...

For toronto, take the ferry to Centre Island... theres a great beach and a kiddie ride park... consider the Hippo Tour in a land/water vehicle that rides the City... look at the Blue Jays schedule for a day at the ballPark... If you are in town when the CNE starts, have a look at the schedule, there are tons of things for the young ones... also the Zoo and if you are up for an amusement park,Canada Wonderland... have fun!

rdpesq Mar 26th, 2010 01:44 AM

Thanks Gary. Great suggestions.

BAK Mar 26th, 2010 06:48 AM

See the message called Toronto Rogers Center area

That family has kids, too.

BAK

knickerbocker Mar 26th, 2010 01:46 PM

Gary's suggestions for Toronto and Niagara Falls are good ones. Definitely do the Maid of the Mist as well as going behind the Falls. Niagara on the Lake is definitely worth your time and if you want to keep them amused, there's Fort George where they can find out that Canada won the War of 1812 :D

Also on the Toronto front, if there's an off-day weather-wise, consider including the Ontario Science Centre. It's a short way from downtown and it's definitely a full day geared toward children your kid's ages.

HTH
K

rdpesq Mar 26th, 2010 01:51 PM

THANKS KNICKERBOCKER. ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT Muskoka Lakes. Is It worth the hassle? Thanks again.

OceanBreeze1 Mar 26th, 2010 05:06 PM

Almost anywhere in Muskoka is "worth the hassle" for me! I am partial to Lake of Bays.

If it were me w/ 2 little kids, I'd make a reservation @ Killarney Lodge where each cabin comes with a canoe. They have a little beach that is perfect for little kids. You can do "day trips" in Algonquin Park & Killarney will pack a picnic lunch for you.
www.killarneylodge.com

Also take a look @ Arowhon Pines www.arowhonpines.ca

If you do go to that area, stop by The Portage Store
www.portagestore.com

rdpesq Mar 26th, 2010 05:53 PM

How far is Muskoka Lakes from Toronto? How many days is advisable considering my 10-day stay in the Toronto area?

OceanBreeze1 Mar 26th, 2010 07:49 PM

It depends on what you mean by "Muskoka Lakes". There are the 3 big lakes of Muskoka: Rosseau,Joseph, Muskoka which are about 2hr from Toronto. Then there is the huge area of Muskoka that extends father north of those 3 lakes. Or, you may mean a resort called Muskoka Lakes.
In any event, you are looking @ 2-3 hours north of Toronto.

rdpesq Mar 27th, 2010 09:32 AM

Thanks OceanBreeze1

OceanBreeze1 Mar 27th, 2010 10:49 AM

You are very welcome, rdpesq!
Let us know what you decide to do. B-)

rdpesq Mar 27th, 2010 11:18 AM

Will do

vivian_2009 Mar 27th, 2010 11:29 AM

question for Knickerbocker, I am that other family with the kids going to Toronto. (11 and 13)

We are going to Niagara Falls for the day. Along with a ride on the Maid of the Mist, you mentioned going behind the waterfall... this really caught my attention. I will look it up on line, but was hoping for some insider information on this. We only have the day to travel there, however, We are renting a car so we have all day with no time constraints. thank you for any help
Viv

garyt22 Mar 27th, 2010 06:17 PM

There are two attractions that involve contact with the Falls.. On the Canadian side is Journey Behind the Falls where you enter a tunnel and look at the Falls from behind... its interesting but not spectacular... the US side has Cave of the Winds where you elevator to the base of the Falls and emerge through a tunnel and have the opportunity to walk the famous Hurricane Deck (as seen on the deck commercials)... much more spectacular and MUCH wetter but MUCH better...

The other do not miss for the 11 and 13 is the Whirlpool Jet Boats... by far the coolest thing at the Falls... not only do you ride the lower river along the Gorge, but the JetBoats take you into the rapids... way cool but not for a 5 year old and maybe for an 8... check the website at www.whirlpooljet.com ... have fun and plan on getting wet...

garyt22 Mar 27th, 2010 06:21 PM

PS.. if possible take the JetBoats from Niagara on The Lake... its a longer prettier ride...

vivian_2009 Mar 28th, 2010 07:18 AM

Gary,

Will time allow to do both~all (Journey behind and Cave of the winds)? Maid of the mist and jet boat? UGH!!.. I love the sound of everything... :) ha-ha I think I am worse than the kids...

thank you for posting that link... Oh yeah they will want to do that. We took a similar(but enclosed) boat ride in Alaska and it was fun (but very short ride)! They will certainly want to go on that if time allows.

Viv

Apres_Londee Mar 30th, 2010 03:15 PM

For Toronto, I don't think anyone's mentioned the Royal Ontario Museum. The Bata Shoe Museum is kid-friendly too.

http://www.rom.on.ca

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca

Morningglory47 Mar 31st, 2010 03:47 AM

Black Creek Pioneer Village www.blackcreek.ca is in the northwest corner of Toronto - kids seem to love it.

The Rogers Cup (Tennis) will be held Aug 7 to 15 this year at York University which is right beside Black Creek Village. www.rogerscup.com - this year it's the men playing.